• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, sorry, I think this is actually what is being sought:

CastIronSkillet3.jpg

These are truly wonderful to cook with,

Even heat, never burns anything.

Never wears out.

I know where a major supplier is in Taiwan that I used to buy samples from.

I had a collection of all sorts.

I do not much cooking here at the moment,

Or I would have bought one and could tell you where to find one in Thailand.

If you find the source, then see if they have the square flat griddle, too.

And the one with ridges on the flat bottom that is great for searing steaks and fish with that cross hatch pattern.

Heavy enough to hit any burglar on the head with,

So you should feel safer in the kitchen.

• Like 1

I ordered mine from http://raro.asia/

They were nice to deal with and I had it within a few days. They are in Pattaya, I believe, but it arrived with no signs of contamination and it has not turned me inyo a whoremonger! Neither did it cost me my life savings, as is apparently often the case with many things "bought" in Pattaya...

• Like 2

I ordered mine from http://raro.asia/

They were nice to deal with and I had it within a few days. They are in Pattaya, I believe, but it arrived with no signs of contamination and it has not turned me inyo a whoremonger! Neither did it cost me my life savings, as is apparently often the case with many things "bought" in Pattaya...

The guy selling these was the sponsor of the Thaivisa party at The Old Belle last year. Nice guy.

• Like 1

CastIronSkillet3.jpg

Never wears out.

And the one with ridges on the flat bottom that is great for searing steaks and fish with that cross hatch pattern.

Yes. This is exactly the thing I'm looking for. Thanks for all the replies.

I had two of them when I lived in Cambodia but left them because they were too heavy for my baggage allowance. I thought I could get another here but haven't been able to find one as of yet. I'm a bit leary of the non-stick pans ever since I read that the coating scratches off and can cause health problems. Anyone know if the non stick coated pans are any safer now than they were years ago?

I'll check the Pattaya connection. Any idea of what the one in the photo would cost?

Thanks again

CastIronSkillet3.jpg

Never wears out.

I had two of them when I lived in Cambodia but left them because they were too heavy for my baggage allowance. I thought I could get another here but haven't been able to find one as of yet. I'm a bit leary of the non-stick pans ever since I read that the coating scratches off and can cause health problems. Anyone know if the non stick coated pans are any safer now than they were years ago?

I'll check the Pattaya connection. Any idea of what the one in the photo would cost?

Thanks again

Just checked the Pattaya site. Small pan, 800 baht plus shipping.

CastIronSkillet3.jpg

Never wears out.

Thanks again

Just checked the Pattaya site. Small pan, 800 baht plus shipping.

Truthfully, I used to buy for about NTD140 - 140Baht from Intl Trader in Taipei.

I would also sometimes buy 200 at a time to give to our customers for Chinese Lunar New Year.

These are the greatest pans, as everyone knows. Very heavy which has advantages and disadvantages.

My opinion is that the new non-stick surfaces are fine.

I am still here, I have been using them for years.

Just make sure you get a heavy pan with the non-stick because this will be better to cook with.

If I do not use an Iron skillet, usually I do not, then I get myself a large steel Wok, Not the rinky dink stuff you see in magazine ads for "tourists".

I am talking a real wok without one of those handles.

Or, a wooden handle is good too when you are cooking omelettes and things you want to toss in the air, and for stir fry, because you got to keep your wok moving and the food tumbling with a very big fire if you want to cook right.

If your wok is properly maintained. then too hell with the non-stick pans.

My wok does not stick, no matter what I am cooking because I usually use a very big fire from LNG or LPG (Or who knows, maybe TGIF?)

NO! Never TGIF!

When you get your wok, I just put it on the fire and let it heat for about 15 minutes at very high heat not touching it until the protective paint is all burnt off. Don't worry, you can let that old wok sit on the flames for 15 minutes while it almost glows red and it will not hurt it, no it is good for it, as far as I know.

Then just heat it on low with some soybean oil (or any food oil) and get the oil to coat the inside.

Now that is it, and ready to cook.

I assume the same goes for the cast iron skillet, but do not trust me on this I forget if I burned the crud off the skillet when I first got it or not.

***See if you can contact a real commercial kitchen wholesaler and get a better price. There is gotta be one in BKK. I would pay no more than 300 Baht for the one I have pictured above.

Happy cooking, and I wish I were cooking, too.

I only cook Asian food,

I'll eat almost any Asian with Chili.

THAT coating WILL come off, the nonstick.

NonStick surfaces ALWAYS come off if you use them long enough.

That is why I do not use them (now. But did in past).

****A good heavy fairly large steel wok will cook almost anything a skillet can cook. Name me something that it won't wok well? So this is why I gradually switched from skillet to wok for most things.

Edited by OldChinaHam
  • Like 2

I do not know if he still sells them but contact raro (he is a moderator here).

The one I bought off him is great except my wife does not like using it as it is too heavy...may be a bood thing because if she ever hit me with it I would stay down.

• Like 2

That is what I was saying.

Heavy is right, probably the men like them more than the women.

And when your wife is cooking with one, tell her everything tastes real good.

Which it will, with one of these 10 pound pans. (probably only 2Kg in reality)

Thanks for the replies. If I track down my old fashion skillet I'll report back. I'll also keep an eye out for the square one as well.

Cheers!

Actually, I'd like to find a cast iron stew pot. They're the best for cooking beef, especially what is considered "beef" here. Slow cook in a cast iron pot all day and even the toughest piece of buffalo comes out tender enough to cut with a fork. They just have a great distribution of heat. I have a cast wok that I love for stir fries, but that heavy cast flat bottom pans are just great for other things. And the cast stew pot can't be beat for stews.

post-87058-0-14437300-1373731981_thumb.j

Edited by connda

I had heard that the non stick ones if they even got a scratch on them they would not work.

I have never heard any thing bad about the cast iron ones. Not being that big in to cooking there is a lot I don't know about the care of the pot's and pans.

I had heard that a cast iron pan you should keep a little bit of oil on it when not in use.

• Like 1

I had heard that the non stick ones if they even got a scratch on them they would not work.

I have never heard any thing bad about the cast iron ones. Not being that big in to cooking there is a lot I don't know about the care of the pot's and pans.

I had heard that a cast iron pan you should keep a little bit of oil on it when not in use.

The big cast iron pans should be "seasoned" by putting oil in he pan, coating the surface, and bringing the pan up to a high enough temperature to cause it to smoke (keep the exhaust fans on). This fills the micro-pours in the pan and creates an relatively non-stick surface it done right. And yep, you want to keep them oiled a bit. They will rust if not taken care of. But they are nice to cook with if you take care of them properly.

They have made great advances in coated aluminum pans and I bought one in Index about 5 yrs ago @ around 3-4Kthb. It was their top of the line and I forget the name of it, but in actual fact, it is superior to cast iron. Rather heavy for aluminum, distributes heat well and no problem with stainless steel scrubbers and it even 'seasons' the more you use it............great pan!!

A little bit of aluminum pan trivia....................the world's largest manufactorer of the aluminum pans in the world are made by 'Meyers company' here in LOS, but the best get exported

• Like 1

They have made great advances in coated aluminum pans and I bought one in Index about 5 yrs ago @ around 3-4Kthb. It was their top of the line and I forget the name of it, but in actual fact, it is superior to cast iron. Rather heavy for aluminum, distributes heat well and no problem with stainless steel scrubbers and it even 'seasons' the more you use it............great pan!!

A little bit of aluminum pan trivia....................the world's largest manufactorer of the aluminum pans in the world are made by 'Meyers company' here in LOS, but the best get exported

Meyer also make professional grade stainless steel (s/s) cookware. They have a shop on Chang Klan Road. All good stuff, KSK and Robinsons at Airport Plaza also sell sets of Meyer. A 10 piece s/s set is around 3500 baht...good value and lasts better than some of this very thin stuff you see about the place. They have an encapsulated base that also allows you to use the pots and pans on induction cookers, which is another plus.

Thanks for the replies. If I track down my old fashion skillet I'll report back. I'll also keep an eye out for the square one as well.

Cheers!

Actually, I'd like to find a cast iron stew pot. They're the best for cooking beef, especially what is considered "beef" here. Slow cook in a cast iron pot all day and even the toughest piece of buffalo comes out tender enough to cut with a fork. They just have a great distribution of heat. I have a cast wok that I love for stir fries, but that heavy cast flat bottom pans are just great for other things. And the cast stew pot can't be beat for stews.

attachicon.gifcast.jpg

We bought one of Raro's pans last year. Wifey uses it almost every day. She loves it. She uses it on the burner, puts it in the BBQ, puts it in the oven. Fantastic. A bit heavy, but not that big of a deal. He sells a lot to restaurants as they are very durable and last, literally, a lifetime.

I don't like non-stick because eventually it starts wearing off and I'm sure some of it is ingested. As for aluminum, there are some reports against the use of it. Especially the cheaper stuff. With Iron, if some if transferred, at least it's good for you! 5555

http://www.livestrong.com/article/475155-health-risks-of-cooking-in-aluminum/

I'm pretty sure Raro has a "Dutch Oven" style in the design process. You'd have to check with him to see how that's going.

CastIronSkillet3.jpg

Never wears out.

Thanks again

Yes, there are problems with the non-stick coating material, but it only becomes active when the pan surpasses 500 degrees. That temp. is hard to hit, especially here. I love the iron skillet, you just need to use a lot of butter or grease to use them effectively. Probably can find them at the market in Naklua among the stalls. I think I saw them there.

CastIronSkillet3.jpg

Never wears out.

Thanks again

Yes, there are problems with the non-stick coating material, but it only becomes active when the pan surpasses 500 degrees. That temp. is hard to hit, especially here. I love the iron skillet, you just need to use a lot of butter or grease to use them effectively. Probably can find them at the market in Naklua among the stalls. I think I saw them there.

I get the idea but I hope you dont use grease to cook with! Unless of course you use fat on your bike chain? biggrin.png

Butter, oil, fat or lard are good for 'greasing' the pan is perhaps what you meant..... yes Im just taking the mickey.coffee1.gif

CastIronSkillet3.jpg

Never wears out.

Thanks again

I get the idea but I hope you dont use grease to cook with! Unless of course you use fat on your bike chain? biggrin.png

Butter, oil, fat or lard are good for 'greasing' the pan is perhaps what you meant..... yes Im just taking the mickey.coffee1.gif

Traditionally, the best cooking "lubricant" is pork fat. Even today, food cooked with pork fat seems to taste better. Then you got your oils from many vegetable sources. Pig fat is still king if you want a wonderful flavor, and many people refer to it as "grease", as in bacon grease, etc.

Still I imagine petroleum crude oil might work OK, that is what the Texans sometimes say.

Do not try it, please, on my account.

Edited by OldChinaHam

Back home we had this spray can with a "lite" oil in it. Just a quick spray was all that was needed.

Here, wifey pours a bit of oil (not palm oil!!) in the pan and then wipes it out. That's all that's needed as these pans, once seasoned, perform great!

Back home we had this spray can with a "lite" oil in it. Just a quick spray was all that was needed.

Remember that myself back in the states.

ttar_vegetable_oil_spray_PAM_v.jpg

So do I.

But years ago, I left Pam behind, Pam and Spam also.

Pig fat is still the best, as any real cook knows, for Asian food anyway.

I cook now with Soy Bean oil, since Peanut Oil is now too hard to find outside the US, where it is grown in abundance in the Land of Carter.

Once you get your Cast Iron Skillet,

Please do yourselves a flavorful favor and ONLY cook with Peanut Oil (Unadulterated with Other Oils)

And Pig Fat.

You will thank me if you do.

Peanut oil you can get up to a very high temperature before it starts to break down.

This is very suitable for high heat cooking in a wok or skillet like in Thai food and Chinese food cooking.

But is also great for other types of cooking unless you are making scrambled eggs in your skillet, which this heavy cast iron pans is GREAT for, because with scrambled eggs you need gradual slow heat to very GRADUALLY get these eggs to do their scrambling. ANY good chef will tell you this.

Truly the Cast Iron Skillet is a must have for any kitchen.

If you see any Pam lying around,

Save it.

The Can is worth far more than the Pam

As a collector's item that may be worth something some day.

Edited by OldChinaHam

Save it.

The company is still in business and now has different oils such as Olive Oil spray. May have to wait a very long time before it becomes a collector's item. biggrin.pnghttp://www.pamcookingspray.com/non-stick-spray-products/olive-oil-spray/

• Like 1

CastIronSkillet3.jpg

Never wears out.

Thanks again

Would olive oil be appropriate as butter and lard are not exactly recommended for good health?

Save it.

The company is still in business and now has different oils such as Olive Oil spray. May have to wait a very long time before it becomes a collector's item. biggrin.pnghttp://www.pamcookingspray.com/non-stick-spray-products/olive-oil-spray/

Ive got time