Caught with cannabis

Benni81

Not read the whole thread, but did you mention the situation in which you were busted?

Likelihood is that your dealer needed to give up a favor to avoid or pay police, chances are you where it.

Thai police like clamping down on farangs doing drugs as it helps them prove that it is the farang that cause the problem and not clean living Thais.

Frankly you have to be a bit daft to consider that it's not a big deal, Thailand is not farang-land: laws, police attitude and the courts reaction to drugs ain't the same.

You might not be blacklisted but you can be assured that in future when you pass through an airport or cross boarders you will be flagged as worth extra attention, Thailand is no longer a back water and they do share such intelligence internationally now, particularly with your native country - whatever that it.

• Like 2

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You need to find a decent lawyer who does criminal cases and has good connections with the police, prosecutors and judges in Mae Hong Song. I think it has already gone too far to negotiate a settlement with the police directly.

Not read the whole thread, but did you mention the situation in which you were busted?

Likelihood is that your dealer needed to give up a favor to avoid or pay police, chances are you where it.

Thai police like clamping down on farangs doing drugs as it helps them prove that it is the farang that cause the problem and not clean living Thais.

Frankly you have to be a bit daft to consider that it's not a big deal, Thailand is not farang-land: laws, police attitude and the courts reaction to drugs ain't the same.

You might not be blacklisted but you can be assured that in future when you pass through an airport or cross boarders you will be flagged as worth extra attention, Thailand is no longer a back water and they do share such intelligence internationally now, particularly with your native country - whatever that it.

Police like clamping down on farangs because farangs pay more, simple as that.

A Thai nephew of my ex-gf got caught with "yaa baa" in his piss-test. His pay-off? 5,000B. No court date, nothing. If you wanna get rich as a policeman, go to farang tourist spots. Its a lot more money for a lot less work.

You need to find a decent lawyer who does criminal cases and has good connections with the police, prosecutors and judges in Mae Hong Song. I think it has already gone too far to negotiate a settlement with the police directly.

You know that "good connections with police, prosecutors" scares the willies out of me. That's their USP to get you to sign up. Then they say "you pay me 20K baht and it will all go away tomorrow". Then they say "unforseen issues, we need another 20K, and so it goes"..... its an amazing risk going through such an outfit.

Get a recommendation from your consulate. No guarantees, but I'd take that over a "connected lawyer" any day.

Get a lawyer. But not through Thai friend, or friend of friend. There are as many bent lawyers here as bent police officers. And that Thai friend will get a kickback from the lawyer / police.

Like someone said, get a lawyer recommendation from consulate. Ring up your consulate, explain your situation, and they will do something for you. I cannot say any lawyer they get will be "perfect", but your chances of getting reasonable representation are much higher than trying to go through "friends and friends of friends". Places are Pai are breeding grounds for parasites who like to befriend farangs and then shop them at first opportunity to police / lawyers.

And no, I'm not saying all Thais are like this, just many of the ones you meet in tourist traps. Any Thai guy that comes up to you in tourist area and says "I want to be your friend" is on some kind of scam.

As for what the lawyer can do, it just depends on the circumstance. Sounds like too far for a "quick exit", a court date is more likely, but who knows. TIT

Not true at all.

Embassies do not have a "good" or "checked" list, they simply have a list of lawyers who have provided their details to the embassy.

I can provide my personal details and they will post it and give it out.

One option is to ask police captain what lawyer he recommends? good chance you get someone who is a "friend" sure will cost, but will be sorted

A Thai nephew of my ex-gf got caught with "yaa baa" in his piss-test. His pay-off? 5,000B. No court date, nothing. If you wanna get rich as a policeman, go to farang tourist spots. Its a lot more money for a lot less work.

May be in some village and if he was under the age. Usually its nothing under 10000 for Thai with something minor

Get a lawyer. But not through Thai friend, or friend of friend. There are as many bent lawyers here as bent police officers. And that Thai friend will get a kickback from the lawyer / police.

Like someone said, get a lawyer recommendation from consulate. Ring up your consulate, explain your situation, and they will do something for you. I cannot say any lawyer they get will be "perfect", but your chances of getting reasonable representation are much higher than trying to go through "friends and friends of friends". Places are Pai are breeding grounds for parasites who like to befriend farangs and then shop them at first opportunity to police / lawyers.

And no, I'm not saying all Thais are like this, just many of the ones you meet in tourist traps. Any Thai guy that comes up to you in tourist area and says "I want to be your friend" is on some kind of scam.

As for what the lawyer can do, it just depends on the circumstance. Sounds like too far for a "quick exit", a court date is more likely, but who knows. TIT

Not true at all.

Embassies do not have a "good" or "checked" list, they simply have a list of lawyers who have provided their details to the embassy.

One option is to ask police captain what lawyer he recommends? good chance you get someone who is a "friend" sure will cost, but will be sorted

Its not the embassy, its the consulate. You can't even get that right.

May be in some village and if he was under the age. Usually its nothing under 10000 for Thai with something minor

Wrong again, center of BKK. Like most Thais, he didn't have 10,000. The police station preferred the 5K baht to the court case.

Probably the worse advice I have ever seen in a thread. You don't get a Thai policeman to recommend a lawyer to you. OMG.

Wrong again, center of BKK. Like most Thais, he didn't have 10,000. The police station preferred the 5K baht to the court case.

Yeah rightrolleyes.gif

Probably the worse advice I have ever seen in a thread. You don't get a Thai policeman to recommend a lawyer to you. OMG.

Yeah a better one is to get a list from the embassycheesy.gif

Edited by lemoncake
  • Like 1

Not true at all.

Its not the embassy, its the consulate. You can't even get that right.

What planet are you living on? http://www.th4u.com/embassies.htm

"Thai police like clamping down on farangs doing drugs as it helps them prove that it is the farang that cause the problem and not clean living Thais."

Right. The police are all involved in a PR conspiracy to elevate the status of Thai nationals in comparison to the otherwise blameless, elite farangs who innocently possess banned substances. I sometimes wonder if those who make convoluted arguments about US versus THEM aren't a little high on something ... probably hubris and ego-enhancing posturing.

Been ten years in Thailand, out and about all the time, and never ever ever has a cop even intimated that he might search me.

Same goes for all my friends, mostly 20 years here.

Can we see a photo so we know why the cop chose you?

• Like 1

....otherwise blameless, elite farangs who innocently possess banned substances.

What did they bust you for? coffee1.gif

To return the favor of double quoting me,

"....innocently possess banned substances..." cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Don't go to court while you're high, you are not as convincing as you think you are.

Thai youngsters get sent to a drug rehabilitation "boot camp" run by very hard nosed Army characters.

Foreigners will get jail time for drug offences, particularly if there is any suggestion of dealing.

By pleading guilty any sentence will be reduced. Providing evidence which allows the police to clear out your dealers network will also be in your favour.

You might be lucky and just be heavily fined and "invited" to leave the country !

Edited by jrtmedic

Doing drugs is a stupid thing to do anywhere, doing them in Thailand is monumentally stupid due to the strict laws. Get a lawyer and face your punishment, that's all you can do.

Lots of hypercritical stuff on this thread about "paying the police off". The point is he should not have the option to pay the police and most of the time I read of people complaining about the corruption. It seems that to some of you the corruption is ok when it works in your favor, total nonsense.

If you don't want to face the music then don't break the law, simple.

• Like 2

Standard procedure will be that you appear before court in due course.

You will most likely only be fined (when 1st offense).

If unable to pay the fine, you will have to do jail time at a rate of 200 Baht/day to pay of the fine.

Your biggest problem will be in the fact that when convicted of a criminal offense (which cannabis possession is), after paying your fine (and starting the procedure for recuperating your bail money), your file has to be forwarded to immigration, for cancellation of your permit to stay.

This results in a de-facto deportation, but not necessarily being blacklisted.

In case of a serious offense it will also be likely that they demand that you will be deported to your country of origin and not just a neighboring country.

It will be be useful to have a friend or trusted person who can arrange an air ticket for you, because once your permit to stay is cancelled you do not have any opportunity for being let out on bail again. You will be put straight onto an airplane.

The only possibility will be that "somehow" your file will not make it to immigration, it is normally the duty of the arresting police station/officer to do this after your conviction. Immigration is not electronically linked to the police system, so unless they are actually notified of your conviction, they would never know.

Perhaps the BIB are giving you time to make an offer with "Tea money" but leaving it up to you for a few days ?

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure it's me that's in trouble and I only ask u guys if u new anything and if any if that was to any help for me but all I read is a bunch if idiots answering my topic. Don't bother answering cuz 99%of all the reply seem to be a joke, this I serous life, so I think all u nut heads that commented my topic should take a look on what I wrote and fuc_k of with the rest

There's only one idiot on here sunshine and it's none of the people replying to your post. After reading this I hope the authorities kick you out..

The OP just happened to come to the wrong Forum, he's probably young and doesn't realize that the average member here is from the Jurassic period.

true asia has changed since 1960 little weed was free in bars and hotels called thai sticks OP can still smile about the past ,if you got teeth ,maybe get little action now and then ,thailand can be a great place if you keep out trouble

The thing is that in Thailand the punishment is disproportionate to the crime and the spectre of it being an imprisonment offence is a total anathema to most West Europeans. In England using hash has virtually become a rap on the knuckles job by the police. It is now a paltry offence to use, although dealing is not.

By contradiction, it's use seems widespread in LOS and although the circle of my existence here does not bring me into contact with 'smokers,' I did once have a close run thing, the memory of which sends shivers down my spine.

I am often in the habit of drifting into the Bkk. Soi 7 Beer Garden for a couple of lunchtime drinks and a read of my newspaper. I find the little girlies there convivial, charming and helpful, although only in a social sense. They fetch my paper, my beer and the rest of my shopping usually in return for a meal in the fish complex opposite. Usually a few gather and I just listen and watch and pay.

One day it was one girl's birthday and they (about six of them) wanted to 'party' and asked if they could do so in my apartment as "ours are too small." It was ok for me and I provided the beer (naturally) and some music as that was all that was needed. Or so I thought.

Next thing the windows were all opened up. the air-con turned up high and old newspapers were tucked under the door.

My apartment soon became a smoke-filled den of illegality and I realised just exactly why they had wanted to use my place.

With a few beers inside me, I meekly let it all hang out, although not touching the stuff myself.

When they all soon left I had a late afternoon siesta. The lingering smell quickly infiltrated my nostrils when I awoke and the realisation of what had happened slowly dawned upon me.

If, and it's not too big an if the fumes had infiltrated the corridor. If, and it's not too big an if it had been reported then I would have taken the rap full on.

Reading this thread has reminded me of this experience and of the possible and horrible consequences for me should the my indiscretions have been exposed.

Good luck OP, but it seems that you have a lot of fellow 'sinners' in LOS and that the Draconian punishments on offer fail to deter.

what happened? nothing, and what were they smoking ice? not like they set you up or anything ,you sound very paranoid.

wow... how old are you OP? Do you have family or very good friends in Thailand? Can your family where ever they are come up with some cash? I think you should find a big time attorney in BKK and do anything you can to try to stay out of jail.

look at this website. on the right is a chat window where you can ask questions about your issues.

http://www.siam-legal.com/litigation/criminal-defence-drug-offences-in-thailand.php

Are you going to have anyone here to help you while you are in jail and afterwards? Are you letting family know about your problem? I would not want to disappear into Thai jail without having someone you know be aware of your situation.

You should start thinking about getting your immune system stronger by taking vitamins and supplements now so you can be strong and not pick up viruses or get sick in jail. Or get a doctor to give you Gamma Globulin shots.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamma_globulin

Try not to get bitten by any mosquitos.

• Like 1

Some bad luck man. I had a friend who smoked regularly in apartments, in guest houses, in hotels. Smoked around high-up heads of police, though they were friends with the guest house owner. That guest house always had clouds of pot smoke coming out into the street. Anybody who drove by could easily smell it.

Hopefully America's FORCED attitude towards pot (due to economy) will rub off on Thailand. I haven't smoked in over two years and happy for it, but pot being illegal is probably one of the dumbest laws ever.

which guest house is this? might have to stay there once in a while lol