Bats

Oh do I sympathize. i fought a 3 year battle to get rid of mine...not before the weight of their guano caused ceilings to collapse.

They are extremely hard to get rid of. There will also be many more of them than you think.

What finally worked for me was a combination of the following:

1. Erecting mesh all around where the roof tiles meet the top of the house as this was where they were getting in and out (they have a remarkable ability to squeeze through tight places). Best done between 6 - 7 PM as the bats tend to fly out around 6 and return after dark. If that is logistically difficult then do at least the final bit of it during those hours and after you have seen them fly out so as to avoid trapping them within. (If you observe carefully you will see the exodus every evening). You will need to keep tabs on this mesh and repair as needed as in an effort to return the bats will try to dislodge it.

2. Install 24 lighting in the space between ceiling and roof, enough that all corners are illuminated. They like to live in dark places. I use yellow fluorescent lights as these have long life and do not tend to attract insects the way the white ones do.

Good luck, and act quickly before you have to replace your ceilings as I did ....

• Like 1