Late-night check on three North Pattaya Pubs by Police and Government Officials

Rimmer

Late-night check on three North Pattaya Pubs by Police and Government Officials

club-2.jpg
PATTAYA:--In the early hours of Saturday Pattaya Police and Local Government Officials led by the Chief of Banglamung District conducted checks on three Late Night entertainment venues in North Pattaya.

Following orders from the Governor of Chonburi Province, over 100 Police, Government Officials and Volunteers conducted raids on the Hollywood Discotheque, Tawana Pub and MC Pub in the two hour operation which saw a number of individuals arrested for minor drug offences and some foreigners who were not carrying their passports which is a fineable offence in Thailand.
Full story:http://www.pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/95338/late-night-check-north-pattaya-pubs-police-government-officials/

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2013-07-14

Never carry your passport. Better to get fined or pay the bribe for not carrying it (how much - 400?), than get in panic mode because they took it from you and demand thousands to return it to you.

• Like 2

I wouldnt carry my passport to a club or beach. Its too valuable to have it stolen, and those places are where it is most likely to happen. I had my passport stolen from my hotel room before, and it is really a pain to get a new one.

• Like 1

"....the two hour operation which saw a number of individuals arrested ...... and some foreigners who were not carrying their passports which is a fineable offence in Thailand."

You would think that a city that has no industry at all apart from tourism would have more sense than to p*ss off its only source of income for no reason.

No one is his right mind would carry their passport around with them on a night out. I carry my Thai driving licence (which shows my local address and passport number) and in the car I have a copy of my passport (though I would leave my car at home if going out for the evening).

• Like 1

Does anyone know for sure if a Thai DL is sufficient not to get fined?

Yes, A official recognized photo ID ( like Thai DL OR passport) is required for proof of identification.

The passport number on the DL can be used to check the visa status and the passport has to be shown at the police station in a reasonable time frame.

• Like 1

Never carry your passport. Better to get fined or pay the bribe for not carrying it (how much - 400?), than get in panic mode because they took it from you and demand thousands to return it to you.

I agree. But this is the first time I've read about foreigners being "arrested" in a bar raid for not having their passport. If by "arrested" they mean paying an on-the-spot fine, fair enough (the law is the law!) but if it involved being taken to the police station, waiting in the cells for someone to bring the passport to release you, it's more than just an inconvenience!! Hopefully, someone, rather than just the sensationalist Pattaya One News, can say what actually happened.

A copy of your passport with latest visa on reverse can be reduced and laminated to a credit card size and is sufficiently legal. It costs less than 100 baht to do.

Most people I know do this. Can anyone confirm that in the raid described in this thread, it was sufficient to avoid being "arrested"?

Edited by brewsterbudgen

"....the two hour operation which saw a number of individuals arrested ...... and some foreigners who were not carrying their passports which is a fineable offence in Thailand."

You would think that a city that has no industry at all apart from tourism would have more sense than to p*ss off its only source of income for no reason.

No one is his right mind would carry their passport around with them on a night out. I carry my Thai driving licence (which shows my local address and passport number) and in the car I have a copy of my passport (though I would leave my car at home if going out for the evening).

But real tourists don't normally go to Thai pubs or have Thai driving licenses.

It's low season anyway.

But real tourists don't normally go to Thai pubs or have Thai driving licenses.

It's low season anyway.

Hollywoods is very popular with tourists, particularly the Japanese.

I agree. But this is the first time I've read about foreigners being "arrested" in a bar raid for not having their passport. If by "arrested" they mean paying an on-the-spot fine, fair enough (the law is the law!) but if it involved being taken to the police station, waiting in the cells for someone to bring the passport to release you, it's more than just an inconvenience!! Hopefully, someone, rather than just the sensationalist Pattaya One News, can say what actually happened.

A copy of your passport with latest visa on reverse can be reduced and laminated to a credit card size and is sufficiently legal. It costs less than 100 baht to do.

Most people I know do this. Can anyone confirm that in the raid described in this thread, it was sufficient to avoid being "arrested"?

You are asking if a photo copy of a passport, laminated or otherwise is 'sufficiently legal'?

I reckon you have been around long enough to know that whatever appears 'sufficiently legal' for one MiB can also be 'sufficiently illegal' for another MiB.

Is this not one of the perpetual 'old chestnut's of living in LOS? A definitive answer would be simply too easy and if it ever came to pass, it would remove one of the subjects of frequent but quite noisome debate on these hallowed pages.

You are asking if a photo copy of a passport, laminated or otherwise is 'sufficiently legal'?

I reckon you have been around long enough to know that whatever appears 'sufficiently legal' for one MiB can also be 'sufficiently illegal' for another MiB.

Is this not one of the perpetual 'old chestnut's of living in LOS? A definitive answer would be simply too easy and if it ever came to pass, it would remove one of the subjects of frequent but quite noisome debate on these hallowed pages.

Yes, I lived here long enough to know this! But, I would like to know tha facts of the incident reported by Pattaya One News from Saturday night, as, if what they've written is accurate, these particular BIB are targetting foreigners and "arresting" those without passports in a nightclub.

It may depend on the individual policeman but it depends more on the circumstances. As is indicated by more than one post, some photo identification is needed and a passport copy is the normal demand. Police stations will often not accept driving licences for identification purposes. Traffic police seldom ask but like Highway police they may need passport copy if in any accident scenario. I am informed reliably that a copy is legal and a credit card size one is most convenient.

foreigners who were not carrying their passports which is a fineable offence in Thailand

The sooner the perps of these dangerous offenses are prosecuted, the better. smile.png

I say deport them and the 'problem' will be solved.

• Like 1

Yes, I lived here long enough to know this! But, I would like to know tha facts of the incident reported by Pattaya One News from Saturday night, as, if what they've written is accurate, these particular BIB are targetting foreigners and "arresting" those without passports in a nightclub.

If the media account is true, then yes, they apparently were arresting those foreigners without passports.

By the same token, there's anecdotal evidence that some foreigners have been arrested on the street for not having their passports. However, most have not.

Therefore, one can assume that it's neither a firm policy or new edict that all foreigners found in Thai pubs WILL be arrested. It's up to the MiB at the time.

Nothing to get all excited about unless you are a frequent flier in these Thai pubs in which case carrying a passport copy, laminated or otherwise, may be advisable although not a 100% guarantee that this will prevent 'arrest' and the option to make a 'donation'.

I have been carrying a laminated credit card sized copy for years but have never been asked for it. If travelling outside my home province, I will always take my passport with me, but again only carry the laminated copy when going out. This is under the assumption that if the copy is not accepted, you are given a certain time period to produce the original document (?).

Do you have a link, or traceability on the statement that the credit card copy is sufficiently legal? I would be interested in seeing that.

A lawyer and more than one senior police officer have verbally confirmed to me that a copy of your passport is enough in all circumstances other than an criminal case arrest leading to court appearance or for making a police report.

Immigration police as well as regular police can ask for this copy - along with copy of your latest visa. While strictly speaking a passport belongs to the issuing government and not the individual, and thus cannot be confiscated by police, it sometimes happens that a passport is held to avoid absconding but more normally a photocopy of the original passport suffices for police records.