Chulalongkorn Fine and Applied Arts Faculty dean apologizes for Hitler graduation mural

webfact

Not really an apology...an explanation of good and bad superheroes.

My view it either needs a full apolgy...with no conditions or none.

maybe they apologise for the terrible paintjob they all look like painted by a 8 year old

if this is their definition of "FINE art " please close the collage

Yes, and as usual... Not an original figure in the entire montage. Typical Thailand, unable to do something original, just take a few famous faces and copy them onto a canvass.

Very very creative! you should be so proud clap2.gif

• Like 2

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am a Jew and the few Thais I do tell I am Jewish do not even know what a Jew is. I could not believe the first one I told I thought they were joking. I bet all the nationalities on here know what a Jew is, except if you are Thai. The Thai education is generally an insult to the people, keeping them uneducated to not take on in adult life the Thai elite. As many of my friends say Thais are only one step out of the jungle. But with internet access in most cities it is surprising they still don't know what a Jew is.

Why would they? It isn't as if there is a significant Jewish community in Thailand. Most people only have a fairly loose grip on what Christianity or Islam is despite a reasonable representation of those religions here.

OK but isn't that what an education system is for, to enlighten us to things, concepts that we may not have had first hand experience with?

Growing up in the USA, there were no elephants in my community; however, I knew they existed in far off lands because I learned that at school and with independent self education at public libraries.

What was the % of USA'ians who couldn't pick out where the US was on the map of the world? Not actually having a go at the US here (wonderful place, one of my favourites), but education systems can't be all things. You've got to teach kids to be curious. That doesn't happen here in LOS....if you don't have that, plenty of things don't follow.

• Like 2

If we reverse the situation I think we all what the reaction would be if a figure that Thais reviled was to be depicted like this somewhere else in the world

Well go on then name an example and il make up a great photo shop photo, but Thai's have none only Heros wai.gif

Maybe Pol Pot qualifies as a superhero because he murdered so many Cambodians, including teachers and intellectuals....

What about the Khmer kings who routed the Thais on so many occasions...

Or maybe the leaders of the southern insurgency would make a nice poster..

• Like 1

I am a Jew and the few Thais I do tell I am Jewish do not even know what a Jew is. I could not believe the first one I told I thought they were joking. I bet all the nationalities on here know what a Jew is, except if you are Thai. The Thai education is generally an insult to the people, keeping them uneducated to not take on in adult life the Thai elite. As many of my friends say Thais are only one step out of the jungle. But with internet access in most cities it is surprising they still don't know what a Jew is.

Why would they? It isn't as if there is a significant Jewish community in Thailand. Most people only have a fairly loose grip on what Christianity or Islam is despite a reasonable representation of those religions here.

OK but isn't that what an education system is for, to enlighten us to things, concepts that we may not have had first hand experience with?

Growing up in the USA, there were no elephants in my community; however, I knew they existed in far off lands because I learned that at school and with independent self education at public libraries.

What was the % of USA'ians who couldn't pick out where the US was on the map of the world? Not actually having a go at the US here (wonderful place, one of my favourites), but education systems can't be all things. You've got to teach kids to be curious. That doesn't happen here in LOS....if you don't have that, plenty of things don't follow.

I was once in a restaurant where they had a globe and the lady I was with had absolutely no idea where Asia was never mind Thailand. Also strangely enough she didn't even want to find out.

Several posts refer to blonde hair and blue eyes. If that was the case Hitler and his inner circle would certainly have been excluded from the 'master race' he sought to create.

My grandfather died in Belsen (he fell out of a watchtower) but, seriously, I don't think there was any intended offence in the mural. If one deliberately sets out to hurt someone with ones actions that is a different thing. Better to keep things in perspective

Some people would find a mural depicting George Bush and Tony Bliar repugnant

George Bush or Tony Blair did not start a world war by invading Poland which in the six years was responsible for nearly 30M deaths - penwithcris!

The question of the original Nazis racial perception towards Asian people has been brought up here, as it possibly relates to Thai people's perception of Nazis. While modern Neo-Nazis in some countries have been explicitly anti-Asian racially, the original Hitlerian Nazis, not really.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_people_in_Germany

The Nazis, who came to power in 1933, did not classify as racially inferior the Chinese or Japanese, but because so much of the Chinese community had ties to leftist movements, they fell under increased official scrutiny regardless, and many left the country, either heading to Spain to fight in the Civil War that was raging there, or returning to China.[17] As late as 1935, the Overseas Chinese Affairs Commission's statistics showed 1,800 Chinese still living in Germany; more than one thousand of these were students in Berlin, while another few hundred were seafarers based in Hamburg.[13] However, this number shrank to 1,138 by 1939.[18] In 1942, the 323 who still lived in Berlin were all arrested and sent to the Langer Morgen work camp.[19] By the end of World War II, every Chinese restaurant in Hamburg had closed.

That said, some Nazi propaganda indicates an anti-Asian bias, in both depiction of Jews as an eastern/Asian "other" group and also to inspire hatred of Russians who were also portrayed as eastern/Asian.

But for those who assert a victorious Nazi-Japan alliance would have resulted in genocide of Thais based on racist ideology, I don't think that is credible. I do think it is credible to assume the Japanese would have seen Thais as a slave race for their (according to them) racially superior Japanese empire.

It might be easier to promote education of Thai students about Hitler if it was really true that his racist ideology was targeted at Asian people so it could feel more personal for them, but it really wasn't. The actual truth is bad enough.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Several posts refer to blonde hair and blue eyes. If that was the case Hitler and his inner circle would certainly have been excluded from the 'master race' he sought to create.

My grandfather died in Belsen (he fell out of a watchtower) but, seriously, I don't think there was any intended offence in the mural. If one deliberately sets out to hurt someone with ones actions that is a different thing. Better to keep things in perspective

Some people would find a mural depicting George Bush and Tony Bliar repugnant

George Bush or Tony Blair did not start a world war by invading Poland which in the six years was responsible for nearly 30M deaths - penwithcris!
Who are Tony Blair and George bush? They sound hansum and samart. Are they in soap operas? Edited by Thai at Heart

The thing is, if Thais were unaware of Hitler how did he appear on the mural. They somehow know he was famous but not sure what he was famous for. How can students at a top university create a mural of super heroes without quite knowing what it was they were heroic for. Same as the school where they all came dressed up and goose-stepping and Nazi saluting, they knew all that but were apparently completely unaware of what Hitler actually did. Ditto the fried chicken shop, the owner decided it was a iconic image but didn't bother to look into the background of someone they were going use for their branding. Complete empty-headedness or just utter lack of tact.

The mere fact that they claim him to be a bad hero is actually quite bizarre and worrying.

Heroic for what? They could have put up Darth Vader as an evil hero. But no, it's Hitler...

The controversy is misplaced. The person that painted Hitler in the mural probably had no knowledge of who he was and what he did. Probably just selected the image as an eye catching figure.

In fact many young people in Western countries probably don't have much knowledge of Hitler.

The calls for an apology have no merit.

The controversy is misplaced. The person that painted Hitler in the mural probably had no knowledge of who he was and what he did. Probably just selected the image as an eye catching figure.

In fact many young people in Western countries probably don't have much knowledge of Hitler.

How about a wish to end gross ignorance then and appearing to be airheads? Is that acceptable?

• Like 1

Thai people are about as bad as they come in my eyes.

This Hitler thing is just another nail in the coffin for Thailand's image "The Land of Smiles".

More like "The Land of Hiels"

Oh, the irony :-p

Edited by Gimbo

How about a wish to end gross ignorance then and appearing to be airheads? Is that acceptable?

Your confession is noted.

Most Americans will refer to anyone of Asian descent as Chinese.

Have you done a poll?

You must know different Americans than me.

• Like 1

I am a bit embarrased about my own benightedness.

To save others the trouble of looking this word up it means:

Being in a state of moral or intellectual darkness; unenlightened.

Benightedness is the state in which all non Western-Liberals are perceived to be by Western-Liberals. Western-Liberals can then save them from themselves and save the world from itself. Because that's just how good Western-Liberals are. Ask one of them and he'll tell you. Just don't mention the actual unintended consequences of their activities because they will go into attack mode without prior warning. Chulalongkorn should simply tell Wiesenthal's "outraged" cronies to butt out.

Whilst all these incidents of ignorantly using Hitler's image are disturbing in themselves, the thing I find even more disturbing is the "So what?" attitude that generally seems to follow an explanation of why Hitler was bad, and why these incidents are offensive to many.

Benightedness is the state in which all non Western-Liberals are perceived to be by Western-Liberals. Western-Liberals can then save them from themselves and save the world from itself. Because that's just how good Western-Liberals are. Ask one of them and he'll tell you. Just don't mention the actual unintended consequences of their activities because they will go into attack mode without prior warning. Chulalongkorn should simply tell Wiesenthal's "outraged" cronies to butt out.

Benightedness is a state of intellectual or moral darkness.

I.e. it's a polite way of saying someone is ill informed or ignorant. Hardly a ringing endorsement of his very own students.

I would guess that 99.99% of Asians don't know what a Jew is. I would further venture that more than 50% of Western people have knowledge of the word itself and none or little other knowledge of Jews.

If you are so distressed by this you should start a campaign to teach Asians.

It doesn't help your cause to insult Thais for not having this knowledge.

Edited by Netizen
  • Like 2

Have you done a poll?

You must know different Americans than me.

All other Americans are different to you.

• Like 1

I would guess that 99.99% of Asians don't know what a Jew is. I would further venture that more than 50% of Western people have knowledge of the word itself and none or little other knowledge of Jews.

If you are so distressed by this you should start a campaign to teach Asians.

It doesn't help your cause to insult Thais for not having this knowledge.

I would be happy enough if they just worked out that celebrating Hitler is just about as dodgy a ground as you can be on.

Either you're ignorant or a neo Nazi. Neither a good position to be in.

Edited by Thai at Heart
  • Like 1

I would guess that 99.99% of Asians don't know what a Jew is.

I'm pretty sure you are wrong about that. Do a little research and you'll find in China and Japan a strong interest in Jews and even a kind of disturbing tendency of promoting some pretty bizarre "positive stereotypes" about Jews. I'm not saying most know, but WAY MORE than you think. Also surely you must know the phrase describing the Chinese as the Jews of Asia?

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

I.e. it's a polite way of saying someone is ill informed or ignorant. Hardly a ringing endorsement of his very own students.

The meaning of the word is obvious my friend. I was using it to describe the supremacist mindset of Western-Liberals. Western nations are no longer the open societies they once were. Thanks to the propagation of cultural Marxism in its many forms. So it's nice to see that there are still places where nobody gives a sh*t about phoney Western-Liberal sensibilities. That's real diversity. Something about which Western-Liberals appear to know nothing at all.

• Like 1

The meaning of the word is obvious my friend. I was using it to describe the supremacist mindset of Western-Liberals. Western nations are no longer the open societies they once were. Thanks to the propagation of cultural Marxism in its many forms. So it's nice to see that there are still places where nobody gives a sh*t about phoney Western-Liberal sensibilities. That's real diversity. Something about which Western-Liberals appear to know nothing at all.

What is western liberal about being anti genocide?

• Like 2