"Pattaya" is bad for the reputation

Gone

I have noticed over the years (and just more recent) that having "Pattaya" on your CV or a profile on a date site does not do you any justice.

I have recently joined a popular dating site that advertises on this forum and when I try and chat with woman from around Thailand they make comments like: "Only dirty old farang man live Pattaya". Or simply "Why you live Pattaya?" etc.

Even when I have big International companies from the Oil industry read my CV and see that my mailing address is Pattaya, they reply with some very degrading comments such as: "Oh good for you working around the world and spending your money on woman in Pattaya" or: "I have been to Pattaya before. How many girlfriends do you have?"

When it comes to a Phone interview, these Large company recruiters or even the Engineers that interview me have some strange comments about Pattaya.

Even some of my old friends on my Facebook from back home think I'm some pervert because I live here. Little do they know most of us here are not like that at all.

• Like 1

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i live in the Pattaya area but Pattaya does not appear in my official postal address

in fact it has never appeared in any of the addresses where i have lived even when i actually lived in central Pattaya

so why use it unnecessarily and draw attention to the fact?

• Like 1

You have to remember, these "virgins", that you want to chat with, are only pretending they have never worked in Pattaya. That is just part of the game. Just as the working girls here, they always say they have only been here two weeks. This is just a big theater, and everyone knows the lines!

I agree with the OP that there are a lot of pre-justice about Pattaya, but

mostly by very short-minded people.

It's a pity, in my opinion Bangkok is a bigger whore house than Pattaya,

but because of it's size and the number of "alternative" amusements,

it is not viewed as such ...

I usually ignore those comments or challenge the people I talk to, and

explain to them that I live a very normal life with family and kids ...

Not that it ever matters in my case, but my official mailing address is

"Chonburi" - I guess one of the advantages living on the dark side ...

Cheers,

luudee

Say Banglamung. Sorted. Yes the problem is obviously real.

Or even Chon Buri. Being both a province and a city it's very confusing.... but correct.smile.png

There's no point giving people the opportunity to jump to conclusions.

Let's be honest about this. Most of these "short-minded" people who are jumping to conclusions are on the money.

Most people who post in the Pattaya forum on Thaivisa are probably the exception to the rule. It would be quite unexpected to outsiders that many people live normal lives in Pattaya.

It's best just to save these "short-minded" people the pain by being evasive.

Edited by tropo
  • Like 2

I couldnt care less what people think,most who talk about Pattaya have never been here or if they have only went to 1st and 2nd road ,followed by walking street and a couple of bus trips to attractions ,who cares what they think?

I couldnt care less what people think,most who talk about Pattaya have never been here or if they have only went to 1st and 2nd road ,followed by walking street and a couple of bus trips to attractions ,who cares what they think?

The OP does care. It influences his dating success and business opportunities.

Let's be honest about this. Most of these "short-minded" people jumping to conclusions are on the money.

Most people who post in the Pattaya forum on Thaivisa are probably the exception to the rule. It would be quite unexpected to outsiders that many people live normal lives in Pattaya.

It's best just to save these "short-minded" people the pain by being evasive.

With respect, the OP was talking about those of us that live here, or spend a considerable length of time here, or work offshore but consider Pattaya to be their home base. In that sense the people jumping to conclusions are not on the money.

Of the people I know well (say 20), and of maybe another thirty that I associate with regularly, all fit the above categories, all have Thai wives/children or long term relationships, most own houses or condos, and most have "a life" in the generally held view.

All of these people are of a character and demeanour whereby I would easily form friendships with them in Farangland - and they come from many different countries and backgrounds.

The two-week millionaires are generally a different kettle of fish. Have met many and found them to be OK people, and met many I would not care to meet again- just like it is in any society.

... however, you can't blame people for jumping to conclusions considering the nature of the place.

A lot of these "normal" people came here with other things on their mind... then they found someone special and settled down and started posting on Thaivisa forum about how normal they are.biggrin.png

So you know 50 normal people now? That doesn't change a thing. I know quite a few "normal" folk too, but I also know why they originally came here.

Generally in agreement with you, but nowhere did I use the word "normal" - that was your word. Of the "normal" folk you know, do you count yourself as one of "them" when you say "but I also know why they originally came here"? Before you ask - I would. coffee1.gif

Pattaya isn't an address. Your written Address, as you would use at Immigration fro 90 day etc should be something like:

123/45 Moo 10

Nongprue

Banglamung

Chonburi 20150

THAILAND

Edit: I use Pattaya when talking. If anybody (I talk to) has a fixation with that and implies any impropriety with living here, I give them an educated gobfull and get them on the back foot so fast that they fall over themselves apologising. As to the Pattaya bashers on TV......don't really care what they think, Tossers are allowed opinions too. coffee1.gif

To tell the truth I never knew that you did not have to include Pattaya in your address. I have been here quite some time and didn't realize this so thank you. I actually use the identical example that you gave except mine would be:

123/45 Moo 10

Nongprue

Banglamung, Pattaya

Chonburi 20150

THAILAND

For sure you would still receive mail etc. without using the "Pattaya" word?

As far as the date sites go I just wanted to be honest because most of the "good girls" are in Bkk etc. and wanted to let them know that I live here and don't intend to move. Anyways those sites are amusement in themselves. Well at least if you live in Pattaya they are. lol

Edited by Gone

Generally in agreement with you, but nowhere did I use the word "normal" - that was your word. Of the "normal" folk you know, do you count yourself as one of "them" when you say "but I also know why they originally came here"? Before you ask - I would. coffee1.gif

Having used normal in parentheses, it is open to interpretation....

I didn't really want to make this a discussion about my own personal reasons for being here, but yes, I could be considered among the "normal". Perhaps even more "normal" than most as I came here with my partner and have lived in a monogamous relationship for the whole time I've been here.

...but, I don't get upset if people think otherwise. I'm aware what most people are thinking and don't blame them for thinking it.

Edited by tropo
  • Like 1

Pattaya isn't an address. Your written Address, as you would use at Immigration fro 90 day etc should be something like:

123/45 Moo 10

Nongprue

Banglamung

Chonburi 20150

THAILAND

Edit: I use Pattaya when talking. If anybody (I talk to) has a fixation with that and implies any impropriety with living here, I give them an educated gobfull and get them on the back foot so fast that they fall over themselves apologising. As to the Pattaya bashers on TV......don't really care what they think, Tossers are allowed opinions too. coffee1.gif

To tell the truth I never knew that you did not have to include Pattaya in your address. I have been here quite some time and didn't realize this so thank you. I actually use the identical example that you gave except mine would be:

123/45 Moo 10

Nongprue

Banglamung, Pattaya

Chonburi 20150

THAILAND

For sure you would still receive mail etc. without using the "Pattaya" word?

Yes my mail arrives Ok. The 123/45 Moo 10 is what gets it here. I think it generally describes the street/suburb (in our terms) of the greater Banglamung area.