Taking cash out of Thailand

If I am correct i can take out 20.000 us dollards or equvialent without declaring

But i can take out more than 20K if i declare to Thai customs

Has anybody done this and how did it go?

Thanks in advance

Pat wai2.gif

how did you receive the money in the first place if it was sent to thailand to your bank you should have a certificate showing what it was for and the date you received it.

then if you need to send it back home that will cover you.

how did you receive the money in the first place if it was sent to thailand to your bank you should have a certificate showing what it was for and the date you received it.

I brought the money into Thailand in cash,It was to be used to extend my visaI

I no longer wish to use for that purpuse, I have it in a savings bank with a bank book (K Bank)

I may need the money back home now I am considering taking it out again

now that the Thai Baht is strong against the Euro it might be a god time to take it out.

The question I asked should I declare anything over 20K dollards to thai customs and

I would like to know has anybody done this and how did they get on.

Pat wai.gif

If you brought it into Thailand you should have had a currency exchange form completed by the bank.

Using that you can transfer up to $50,000 usd back to your home country.

That's the rules of the Bank of Thailand

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by englishinsiam

I no longer wish to use for that purpuse, I have it in a savings bank with a bank book (K Bank)

now that the Thai Baht is strong against the Euro it might be a god time to take it out.

The question I asked should I declare anything over 20K dollards to thai customs and

Pat wai.gif

You brought over US$20,000 into Thailand to extend your visa? Not sure if that one will fly...

Pat wai.gif

You brought over US$20,000 into Thailand to extend your visa? Not sure if that one will fly...

Yes 20K euros was about 800K Thai Baht at that time 5 years ago

I think were getting a little confused Im not talking about transferring money by way of a bank

I am talking about taking more than 20K cash out of Thailand, and declaring the money.

Question again has anybody done this and are they willing to share their experience. wai.gif

I think were getting a little confused Im not talking about transferring money by way of a bank

I am talking about taking more than 20K cash out of Thailand, and declaring the money.

Question again has anybody done this and are they willing to share their experience. wai.gif

you are definately confusing me,on the same day 15th july you were asking for advice on which is the best bank to deposit the cash for visa ext.[visa forum].

These links may be helpful.

see: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/travel_to_ireland/customs_regulations_for_travellers.html

Travelling to Ireland from countries outside the EU

Cash controls

Since 15 June 2007 if you are entering or leaving the European Union and carrying €10,000 or more cash you must make a declaration to the Customs authority of the member state you are entering or leaving. Under Regulation (EC) 1889/2005 you must lodge the declaration at the airport, seaport or land frontier through which you are entering the EU – see “How to apply” below. If you are travelling to or from the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man you also must make a declaration"

see re taking money out of thailand

http://www.bot.or.th/English/ForeignExchangeRegulations/FXRegulation/Pages/ExchangeControlLaw.aspx

Foreign Currency

The travelers bringing foreign currency more than USD 20,000 or its equivalent into or out of Thailand are required to make a report to Customs. This report is required by the “Ministerial Regulation (No. 25) B.E. 2530 issued under the Authority of the Currency Exchange Control Act B.E. 2485 and relevant regulations.

The Regulation and Notification require that the travelers bringing foreign currency into or out of Thailand, both a bank note and a coin, with the total aggregate value exceeding USD 20,000 or its equivalent, must report it to a Customs officer at a port/airport of entry or exit, using the given Foreign Currency Declaration Form. The travelers must complete, sign, and submit the Form to report their foreign currency where such currency are physically carried by a person arriving in or departing from Thailand, or where they form part of the person’s baggage and that person and his or her baggage are being carried on board the same conveyance across the border.

A person who reports currency has to answer truthfully any questions that a border services officer asks about the information required for the report.

Pat wai.gif

Yes 20K euros was about 800K Thai Baht at that time 5 years ago
OK.

you are definately confusing me,on the same day 15th july you were asking for advice on which is the best bank to deposit the cash for visa ext.[visa forum].

ok

yes I am trying to make up my mind which is best to do leave my 800.000 thai bath on deposit in Thailand or take it out in cash,

so yes I had two different questions whats wrong with that.

I got the answer to my question regards 800K thai baht on deposit. Thanks wai2.gif

see: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/travel_to_ireland/customs_regulations_for_travellers.html

Cash controls

Since 15 June 2007 if you are entering or leaving the European Union and carrying €10,000 or more cash you must make a declaration to the Customs authority of the member state you are entering or leaving. Under Regulation (EC) 1889/2005 you must lodge the declaration at the airport, seaport or land frontier through which you are entering the EU – see “How to apply” below. If you are travelling to or from the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man you also must make a declaration"

http://www.bot.or.th/English/ForeignExchangeRegulations/FXRegulation/Pages/ExchangeControlLaw.aspx

Foreign Currency

The travelers bringing foreign currency more than USD 20,000 or its equivalent into or out of Thailand are required to make a report to Customs. This report is required by the “Ministerial Regulation (No. 25) B.E. 2530 issued under the Authority of the Currency Exchange Control Act B.E. 2485 and relevant regulations.

The Regulation and Notification require that the travelers bringing foreign currency into or out of Thailand, both a bank note and a coin, with the total aggregate value exceeding USD 20,000 or its equivalent, must report it to a Customs officer at a port/airport of entry or exit, using the given Foreign Currency Declaration Form. The travelers must complete, sign, and submit the Form to report their foreign currency where such currency are physically carried by a person arriving in or departing from Thailand, or where they form part of the person’s baggage and that person and his or her baggage are being carried on board the same conveyance across the border.

A person who reports currency has to answer truthfully any questions that a border services officer asks about the information required for the report.

Thanks to bkksiam you have answered my queation regards taking cash out of Thailand and into Ireland wai2.gif confusion sorted

Cash controls

Foreign Currency

Thanks to bkksiam you have answered my queation regards taking cash out of Thailand and into Ireland wai2.gif confusion sorted

Now that you have this issue sorted out, you may want to think about exactly the best day to convert because a fraction of a percentage point can make a big difference.

If you are at the K bank and are buying pounds you'll get about 16,730 at the selling rate http://www.kasikornbank.com/EN/RatesAndFees/ForeignExchange/Pages/ForeignExchange.aspx

However, I'd do two things

1. check the exchange rate history-K bank has those tools on its site e.g. http://tinyurl.com/mdl25po then decide exactly when (day + time of day makes a difference).

2. go to the bank and see what is the best buying rate they can give you. I had a situation recently where I was converting foreign currency and was surprised that they were willing to give me a slightly better rate than was posted.

Thanks bkksiam,

But I did not have the time as i was leaving Thailand on Wednesday evening 17th July,

I went into K bank wednesday morning done the transfer, the money was in my bank in Ireland the next day

Thursday 18th when I got home, nice one. k bank charged me 500 baht, my bank charged me 6 euros.

I know i did not get the best rate but its hard to tell as the Thai baht is/was dropping by the hour against the euro.

Many thanks

Pat wai.gif

Edited by newbepat

Just to clarify, the info is correct as much as if you walked or transferred it into Thai then you should have been given a form/certificate. That's proof of the derivation up to that amount,

Edited by breadbin

see: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/travel_to_ireland/customs_regulations_for_travellers.html Travelling to Ireland from countries outside the EU

Cash controls

Foreign Currency

Spot on.

Different rules when transferring via a bank for example.

Good post.