Best No Fee & Low-Fee Bank Cards for Americans 2013-

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Just to be clear, I haven't actually gotten the 'color of old car' question in those terms."

I spoke too soon. Just asked, "What color is your '1986 Chevrolet Caprice'?"

I wait with baited breath, did you know the answer ?

I actually timed it this morning, 6 minutes to ask and answer the security questions, 1 minute to answer the banking question I had called about

Easy to answer, since I never owned that car. Still, downright astonished that they'd ask about a 27-year old car.

Also questions about companies I've been associated with ("none of the above") and where a relative lives (I did have an answer for that one).

I assume they save the answers and use them to build a profile on me. They'll probably show up again. Can't say it seems right that simply opening a bank account leads companies to snoop back some 30 years of my life, not to mention figuring out who I'm related to. Why should my relatives be any of the bank's business?

In all the fuss over NSA -- and it's very justified fuss in my view -- it's gotten lost that the private sector is just as egregiously building up dossiers on us all, dossiers that go far beyond whether we pay our bills on time.

I would have probably answered incorrectly to any car color question since I keep my cars forever and have them repainted different colors (i.e., brown to blue or vice versa, etc) numerous times at Earl Scheib and/or Maaco while I own the cars...why buy a new car when you can just make your old car look like new with some bondo work and a new paint job. Would have probably forgotten what the title/registration color originally was which would have been the color reflected on public records.

Easy to answer, since I never owned that car. Still, downright astonished that they'd ask about a 27-year old car.

Also questions about companies I've been associated with ("none of the above") and where a relative lives (I did have an answer for that one).

I assume they save the answers and use them to build a profile on me. They'll probably show up again. Can't say it seems right that simply opening a bank account leads companies to snoop back some 30 years of my life, not to mention figuring out who I'm related to. Why should my relatives be any of the bank's business?

In all the fuss over NSA -- and it's very justified fuss in my view -- it's gotten lost that the private sector is just as egregiously building up dossiers on us all, dossiers that go far beyond whether we pay our bills on time.

Unfortunately this will not build a profile on you since the questions are generated by a private vendor under contract from State Farm Bank. They (State Farm Bank) claim that even they don't know the correct answers since it is a service that they pay for. I have a secured message in asking for the answer to when my house in the US was built. Am still waiting........

Again to be clear, I'm using another bank, not State Farm, and not one that seems to get mentioned in these forums.

My point is that these private vendors are in the business of building up profiles on everyone. So when I recognize the address of someone with a last name like mine, I get associated permanently with that person in their records.Same with the question about which company I've been associated with.

BTW. Just trying a new browser will trigger these outsourced security questions from State Farm Bank

Yeap, due to my main laptop breaking/in the shop which I run Win7 and the IE10 browser on the access State Farm bank, I used my other laptop running XP with IE8 and Chrome browsers to access SF. I first used Chome which caused the security questions to pop up...3 questions which were all last mortgage and address related questions. I then logged off and logged back on using IE8 this time...once again 3 questions related to last home. Only one of the questions did I have to scratch my head about a little which was a mortgage loan amount question. If the computer shop is able to repair my main laptop and I get to use it again using Win7, IE10 will be interesting if I get hit with the questions...but my gut is telling me I will since I've "triggered" the SF security questions beast.

Edit: After posting above I decided to log back on again using Chrome and IE8....SF did not ask an security questions this time for either browser. Maybe after logging on once via the security questions beast using whatever operating system and browser you are using then the SF system logs you as good to go...or maybe good to go for x-hours/x-days/etc....or maybe it will be random from this point in time. More logons and time will tell I guess.

Edited by Pib

BTW. Just trying a new browser will trigger these outsourced security questions from State Farm Bank

Yeap, due to my main laptop breaking/in the shop which I run Win7 and the IE10 browser on the access State Farm bank, I used my other laptop running XP with IE8 and Chrome browsers to access SF. I first used Chome which caused the security questions to pop up...3 questions which were all last mortgage and address related questions. I then logged off and logged back on using IE8 this time...once again 3 questions related to last home. Only one of the questions did I have to scratch my head about a little which was a mortgage loan amount question. If the computer shop is able to repair my main laptop and I get to use it again using Win7, IE10 will be interesting if I get hit with the questions...but my gut is telling me I will since I've "triggered" the SF security questions beast.

Edit: After posting above I decided to log back on again using Chrome and IE8....SF did not ask an security questions this time for either browser. Maybe after logging on once via the security questions beast using whatever operating system and browser you are using then the SF system logs you as good to go...or maybe good to go for x-hours/x-days/etc....or maybe it will be random from this point in time. More logons and time will tell I guess.

I got my main laptop repaired today...what a relief. As mentioned early it runs Win7, IE10. When logging onto SFB several times it still didn't cause any security questions to come up...I thought it might since for the last few days I was using my other computer which runs XP and the IE8 and Chrome browsers. I'm thinking maybe the security questions are only triggered one time when using a different browser/computer and if you pass the security questions then they don't pop up again...kinda like your computer/browser being recognized/registered on the SFB system. But more logons and time will tell.

On almost all of my online banking setups...the banks give the option of skipping the security questions and declaring my particular PC as safe... But I never choose that option.

I WANT the security questions every time and everywhere...when I go to logon... It's not 100% safe or foolproof.... But at least I figure it adds to the security.

• 4 weeks later...