Info On The Decree Absolute

mickmac

I wonder has any one been in a similar situation as myself and if so how did they resolve the problem.

I have been divorced for 18 years now, and am now looking at re-marrying the lady I live with. I see in order to prove I am divorced I have to sign a declaration at the Brit. Emb. and provide proof;i.e.; the original copy of the decree absolute. I have never even seen this document let alone managed to get my hands on it.

I have sent off and recieved a copy of the original, verified by a high court judge and stamped as such, from one of these agencies that deal in this type of thing in the UK. My question is would this suffice in lieu of the "original" decree?

I'm sure that someone else must have had this problem in the past, and I would be most grateful if they could give me the benefit of their knowledge.

Thanks

I wonder has any one been in a similar situation as myself and if so how did they resolve the problem.

I have been divorced for 18 years now, and am now looking at re-marrying the lady I live with. I see in order to prove I am divorced I have to sign a declaration at the Brit. Emb. and provide proof;i.e.; the original copy of the decree absolute. I have never even seen this document let alone managed to get my hands on it.

I have sent off and recieved a copy of the original, verified by a high court judge and stamped as such, from one of these agencies that deal in this type of thing in the UK. My question is would this suffice in lieu of the "original" decree?

I'm sure that someone else must have had this problem in the past, and I would be most grateful if they could give me the benefit of their knowledge.

Thanks

I'm pretty sure what you have will do just fine.

My 'original' decree was a photocopied piece of paper with an offical stamp from the court, worked no problem.

Mickmac,

You should be OK with a certified copy but, to make sure, why not 'phone the Embassy and ask before you go?

You are aware, I guess, that, before you can marry at the Amphur, you must have a verified Thai translation of the Freedom to Marry Declaration that the Embassy will give you.

The Embassy and Amphur thing is a bit of a paper chase. We used a very good agency that did the leg-work for us. We just had to make two trips - Embassy and Amphur. In fact, the agency was trusted by the Amphur to the extent that we got the marriage certificate on a promise from the agency to the Amphur that the Declaration from the Embassy would be there the next day, duly translated and verified. A few Baht saved us quite a few hours that we used to get away early for the traditional wedding.

If you would like to know how to contact the agency, just PM me. Not all agencies are good but this one is well respected both at the Embassy and the local BKK Amphur.

I hope that the wedding goes well for you.

I wanted to get married last year, and naturally couldn't find the decree absolute. I emailed the UK court that issued the original, and they posted a signed and stamped copy to me. I had no problem using it to do the paperwork side of getting married here. In the envelope with the copy was a request for £2, I got my Mum to send them a cheque.

PS After we got married I found the original!