Tablet computer bidding for Zone 3 put on hold: One tablet PC per child project

webfact

ONE TABLET PC PER CHILD PROJECT
Tablet computer bidding for Zone 3 put on hold

Supinda na Mahachai
The Nation

30210669-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The board overseeing the government's One Tablet PC Per Child project has resolved to hold off on the bidding process in one of the four zones in the wake of alleged irregularities. The e-auctions took place on June 28.

"We received some complaints that hint at the possibility of bidding collusion," Education Minister Chaturon Chaisang said yesterday, when asked why the bidding results for Zone 3 were yet to be endorsed.

He said there were just two qualified bidders in the zone, and suspiciously the companies that sailed through the pre-qualification round in Zones 1 and 2 did not pass the Zone 3 criteria.

This year, the tablet procurement process kicked off with e-auctions for four zones. Zone 1 includes Pathom 1 students and teachers in Central region and South; Zone 2 Pathom 1 students and teachers in North and Northeast; Zone 3 covers Mathayom 1 students and teachers in Central and South; while Zone 4 covers Mathayom 1 students and teachers in the North and Northeast. The bidding process for Zone 4 was cancelled because only one company passed the pre-qualification round.

Chaturon said yesterday that the board would convene a meeting of legal experts and relevant parties next week to determine how to go ahead with the Zone 3 procurement plan. "I want recommendations from the experts," he said.

The government has earmarked Bt4.6 billion for procuring tablets this year.

Chaturon said he was unable to say whether the bidding result for Zone 3 would go ahead.

"I have to consult relevant experts first," he said.

Meanwhile, Chaturon said the Office of Basic Education Commission (Obec) has been instructed to set up a panel to develop standard content for tablets.

"Obec will also gather the opinions of stakeholders in a bid to improve the project further," he said. The One Tablet Per Child project is one of the ruling Pheu Thai Party's election policies.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-07-18

My son was issued a Tablet under the scheme some time ago, now he does note even bother to take it to school.. I asked him why and he said they don't use them any more as most are broken and the ones that are not broken don't really work properly anyway.

I have to say that when I first saw it I was quite impressed. It's one thing to buy them, it's another thing altogether to support them and try and keep them working. This term he has a heavy bag full of books every day, this is what the tablet was supposed to replace!

• Like 1

My son was issued a Tablet under the scheme some time ago, now he does note even bother to take it to school.. I asked him why and he said they don't use them any more as most are broken and the ones that are not broken don't really work properly anyway.

I have to say that when I first saw it I was quite impressed. It's one thing to buy them, it's another thing altogether to support them and try and keep them working. This term he has a heavy bag full of books every day, this is what the tablet was supposed to replace!

What and break the bazzilion baht business of printing text books? Edited by Thai at Heart

How can you hold bids on a geographical basis?

Each region gets different specs?

My understanding is that the minimum specifications (which is all you will ever get anyway) are the same for each geographical region, although the different grade levels have different minimum specs (7 vs 8 inch screen, etc).

The only real reason for have a geographical split is that it allows two or more manufacturers to provide the tablets, i.e. each zone can have a different manufacturer.

My understanding is that the minimum specifications (which is all you will ever get anyway) are the same for each geographical region, although the different grade levels have different minimum specs (7 vs 8 inch screen, etc).

The only real reason for have a geographical split is that it allows two or more manufacturers to provide the tablets, i.e. each zone can have a different manufacturer.

Ah, so jobs for the boys? Everyone gets their cut?

• Like 1

Well surely that makes sourcing spare parts and maintaining them ridiculously complicated?

• Like 1

BANGKOK: -- The board overseeing the government's One Tablet PC Per Child project has resolved to hold off on the bidding process in one of the four zones in the wake of alleged irregularities.

Has the PM already announced that she's gonna sue for spreading unfounded rumours?

• Like 1

I wonder what a bunch of chimps would make of a tablet computer if all were issued with one? Would it improve their existence, or would they merely ignore it? Could they eventually write the entire works of Shakespeare....with illustrations?

The only real reason for have a geographical split is that it allows two or more manufacturers to provide the

tablets, i.e. each zone can have a different manufacturer.

Don't you mean each zone can get a kick back from the scam?

• Like 1

Well surely that makes sourcing spare parts and maintaining them ridiculously complicated?

Wouldn't using one supplier for the whole country stop any but really big companies from bidding as small companies wouldn't have the capacity. Whichever way they do it there will always be problems. At least it looks like they might be getting serious about corruption.

"A chicken in every pot". Once the chicken is gone you are back to being hungry in the morning. More BS to get elected.

Whats the point of issueing tablets if there is not support service for them.

Will schools be equipped with a server, connectivity, security and IT staff?

How many of these tablets now have Angry Birds as their most used program?

Whats the point of issueing tablets if there is not support service for them.

Will schools be equipped with a server, connectivity, security and IT staff?

How many of these tablets now have Angry Birds as their most used program?

Now't wrong with angry birds.

But why do they not come up with a plan where each Pad is useful. The zone system allows more shoddy workmanship companies to bid.

Why is there not a high enough standard of quality on standards to make the machines useful?

Why are they given out to pupils who have no idea of how to use logic? Are they going to abandon the half hearted attempts they have made in the past to teach logic.? Is there plans to put electricity into all the schools? Or just shut them down? Are they teaching the teachers how to use the Pads?

• Like 1

Wouldn't using one supplier for the whole country stop any but really big companies from bidding as small companies wouldn't have the capacity. Whichever way they do it there will always be problems. At least it looks like they might be getting serious about corruption.

Well you have a point there. Putting the bid out to big companies would not allow the cheap shoddy workmanship companies to compete. It would also make it easier to repair the machines. Also it would not help the students one bit untilll they reach the age of 7 and have learned to think.

But wait they don't teach them how to think in the first place instead of just memorize. With a pad the teacher won't even have to know what to have them memorize it will all be on the pad.

Well if you need nationwide service, nationwide maintenance, nationwide uniformity, nationwide software compatibility, ummm yes.

How do they control anything if the specs are all a little different. Next will be out of date android operating systems. Do they all have virus checkers? Who's email address do they log in with? Who limits the apps?

You think having one unified style and supplier wouldn't achieve better uniformity?

Edited by Thai at Heart

Anyone out there who has seen details on the new P2 programs or the M1 programs?

Kids who took their tabletPC from P1 to P2 seem to get bored with repeating P1 programs again, assuming their tabletPc still works.

PS no need to hurry, the schoolyear only started two months ago

Think how many more tablets they could have bought if only they hadn't screwed up/screwed over the rice pledging scheme so badly . . .

What about the "One Cup of Rice per Pratom student" campaign? Is that going well yet?