What's Your Phuket Experience?

thaigerd

What you all think about Phuket?

I've worked in BKK before and had some difficulties here in the beginning.

Even Thai people from outside this island are not so easy accepted here.

But now after 2years it's ok for me.

And my dog loves the beaches.........

Tell us what you think, pro's & contra's

Gerd

I am back considering Phuket after initially rejecting it as a place to live (first as a holiday home later permanent). Obvious alternatives are:

1. Hua Hin - getting there is a problem especially from Bangkok with traffic a nightmare. Currently no flights in as well. The new road in 2008 will help but meantime...........

2. Samui - too many backpacking tourists milling about, cut off, water problems etc etc

3. C.Mai - town boring, polluted. Crime problems I hear at present.

4. Bangkok - obvious

5. Pattaya - obvious

First let me say that Phuket is one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen.

Last March I was in the patong beach area with my family and friends. I am not sure if it is because of the war in Iraq or that is the way the people in the south are but we have encountered alot of hostility from local people their. I heard alot of negative American comments. My wife is Thai and she said that she heard enough to scare her and that we should leave and go back to Krabi. By the way the local people in Krabi were very nice to us. I know what some of you are thinking, I was probably acting like an arrogant American and that why the people acted that way toward us. I can assure you that was not the case. I traveled the world enough to know how to act and behave in foreign countries. My Thai is not that good but I tried to speak it as much as possible in effort to show repect to the thai people. Enough about that , I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this in Phuket. I probably am going to pass on Phuket this year and stick to Krabi, Pattaya and Bangkok.

Regards

Jim

Well I have lived in various countries around the world and now a days with your current president and his foreign policies, there is a lot of folks out there who are not thinking to keen about the US including its citizens. Also dont forget that there are Muslims in Phuket and although they might not pull a gun on you, they will not like you very much. I am suprised though that its so visable but I guess you can thank GWB for that :o

Only irritating bad experiences. You arrive at the airport, no taxis, but some guys who want to bring you to your hotel for Baht 4-500. That's about 3-times the price of Bangkok. Actually, the price was offered to Blue Canyon, where my friend lived, 2-3 miles around the corner. That experience was a few years back, but a good reason for me, not to go there anymore.

Well, had to go again since the same guy got married, stayed in Laguna, hotel was paid, my bill for 2 persons, lunch in the coffee-shop (2 lunches) 2 breakfasts for 2 exceeded the price for a stay in a 5-star hotel in BKK.

Oh yeah, after the wedding party, 2:00 am, go back from Laguna ....(?) to our hotel Laguna .... (?) 200 Baht, no negotiations, pay or walk.

I hear meanwhile Phuket has got, or will get, metered taxis?

Now mind you, I did not pay the taxi-prices offered, but imagine my partners coming for holidays, not speaking a word of Thai, OK, I recommend to them, other places, but avoid HKT.

Well there sure is a problem with taxis in Phuket but if thats the worst thing about Phuket then it still is a great place to be. Hotels might be more expensive however Phuket is still far better then any other place in Phukt with samui coming a close second.

Come on, you must be out of your mind if you suggest that Bangkok or Pattaya is a better place to live then Phuket. Phuket is far better.

I have been to Chiang Mai , Prachinburi , Chachoeng sao , Rayong , Pattaya , Sattiheep , Sirilacha , Bangkok , Hua hin , Prachup kilikahn , Krabi and Phuket.

I would say that Phuket would be my favorite place to stay if the people were a little more friendly. From my own experience I would have to put Krabi at #1.

Although Krabi does not have nearly as much to do as Phuket.

Jim

Thanks all for your opinions, quite interesting to read.

May be we'll get some more this week.

Tomorrow morning I will go to Immigration, one year extension.........

Went there last week, but one paper was missing.............

the envelope with the tea money!!!!

The officer phoned to my company and asked why?!

Full story about it tomorrow when I'm back.

Stay tuned...

Gerd

Jimbo, I did not suggest Bangkok or OMG Pattaya.

But let's face it, tourist have problems with taxis. If they feel cheated, they do not come back.

My recommendations then, and only then, are Vungtau, Danang and perhaps Hua Hin.

I'm an american. I have been staying in patong beach for almost 2 months now. Asside from the occasional peculialarity ( like being served wine in a beer mug at a german restaurant). The positives of phuket seem to outweigh the negatives. Admitedly I still have much to learn but so far so good. Currently I'm taking intensive thai language courses. So inside of a year or so I should know a tiny bit more. I imagine that this place will continue to grow rapidly.

kasi

I am glad to here that you are having a positive experience in Phuket. I was hopeing that my experience might have been due to low tourism(less income) making the locals a little angry because of the Iraq war. I was in Phuket at the start of the war. I will probably give it another chance next year. I hope it will be a positive experience because Phuket is an awesome place. It could be my retirement home. Thanks for the positive response.

Jim

jim:

I have noted a few jaded "I've dealt with too many farangs' looks here and there by in large the folks here are very welcoming. But I dont take time to get into political discusions. Waste of time. I have yet to have beeing american be an issue.

the tour busses, dust, and traffic could be an issue for you. As well as the preponderance of seemingly retarded drivers. Oh well mai pen rai! Still this would be a good venue for retirement as I'm considering too.

In a few days I will be back in Phuket, this my seventh visit in a few years. My five year plan to live in Phuket is going well, thanks to this forum.

Yes Phuket is a great place but I like to think of it as a great big shopping mall. The locals are there to work and make money for their families, so wherever you go they want your money. Great no problem, but lifting this fascaid to see the real Phuket is not easy.

Have not been to Pattaya yet but plan to in November, this will give me a better overview.

Just like to finish with a big Thankyou to all the Aussie expats I have met in Phuket for honest advice and good company.

I was in Phuket in January, down in Patong Beach. Stayed at the Expat Hotel, just off Bangla Road. I absolutley loved every minute of it! I had stayed in Koh Samet before and thought it was a dump, and when I got to Phuket i loved it so much i didnt leave till i had to come home.

Me and my fiancee are going to live there. She works in Tai Pan (anyone know it?).

It is definitly somewhere I want to live. True, it is more expensive than BKK, but still a ###### of a lot cheaper than good ol' Blighty!

Yes, I know the Tai Pan, I have been coming to Patong the last 15 years, and I do think that Phuket is Paradise on earth, staying at the Phuket Palace Resort next to the Simon Cabaret, nice hotel with very big rooms a fantastic pool and some very nice and friendly staff.

My experiences in Phuket have been ALL POSITIVE, and the only people that have spent more time there than I have are the expats that LIVE THERE!

You know, I'm amazed at how the rest of the world seems reacts to "Americans" whenever they enter these little chat rooms. I'm an American who has visited Phuket nearly 30 times in the past 4 years (work and holiday), and I have NEVER had a single negative experience based on my nationality, at least not from what I consider to be the apolitical Thais I interact with. A few (and clearly a minority, but usually French and German- duhh!) of my fellow farangs have been less than hospitable to me when they discovered my nationality, but then again, I don't travel to Phuket to interact with them - its fine if they want to get to know another human being that lives here on the face of the planet, but you know, if they have something against Americans, well, then get in line pal, but get out of my face. I'm American, and damned proud of it!

As for Phuket, there's no place on the face of the planet that I'd rather spend my time. I've even opened a branch office of my American corporation there, and I have every intention of making it my second home in the near future. The Thais are genuine (away from Soi Bagla, that is), the weather is nearly identical to my home here in Hawaii, and the opportunities there are boundless.

If you have the ability to make a living there, and it takes a LOT less than where ever you call home, then I would suggest that you get your ass there as soon as the next plane departs.

Check out the Hash House Harriers (meeting at the Expat Hotel at 3:00 PM on Saturday afternoons) the next time you're in town! Meet a bunch of GREAT expats and super Thais!

I'm in the process of moving from BKK to Phuket. Have bought (via GF!), some land at Mission Hills Golf Course to build apartments. Now just buying some more land to build our house.

I'm very happy with Phuket. The driving is just a bad as BKK (some guy almost wrote me off last week when he jumped the lights...)

But on the whole it feels fairly safe. A few days ago I was driving from Chonburi to BKK. A guy in a pick-up wanted to turn right across my path. Does he wait? No, he adopts the novel approach of aiming a gun directly at me from his cab!! Needless to say I was rather surprised and commented to my GF with British sang-froid 'oh look darling, that guy is aiming a gun at me'. Her reaction was rather more emotional than mine :o

Simon

I've lived in Phuket 4 years. How much longer I can stay here is unknown.

I would like to say that where you stay is irrelevent; it's what you make of it. But my impending, undesired return home makes me admit that that's <deleted>. Phuket may or may not be a superior place to reside as compared to Bangkok or Pattaya or Samui or whatever but let's face it, it's a s**t load better than where we come from.

It could be better; it could be worse. But unless you can change things, you're better off enjoying it while you can. Life has a nasty habit of dealing a bad hand.

Hi

Firstly I love Thailand, it's customs and especially I love Phuket, I have been living in the land of smiles for over 10 years now and have found Phuket to be a nice mix of Western/Thai.

I was in Trang for many years and that was the full on Thai lifestyle, not an easy life for a lone englishman, but a great learning experiance.

I have now been living in Phuket for 4 years now, and have found that many folk confuse living in Phuket with living in Patong.

After 3 years in Patong I found it is nothing like a real thailand experience, it is a fusion of drunken western trash, greedy Thais and a nasty mafia underground.

Anyone confusing real Thailand with Patong really needs to get out and spend some time in other towns.

I Moved away from Patong to the south of the island as it is a much more rural area, less traffic, less stress and less human garbage, more like real Thailand plus the priecs are much more in line with the mainland.

I can think of nothing good about Patong, except the road out towards the south of the island, I rarely even visit the place except to go to my bank and accountant.

You can keep Patong, all it's expats, all the white pimps running the bars, and all the nasty Thais that control the streets, I have found paradise and it is not Patong.

Basher

I enjoyed Patong while on holiday there, but i agree it would be hectic living there. A bit like trying to live in Brixton, lol.

I'll have to travel more, because i didnt get to see more of the Island last time. My dad came down with the 'flu (the British winter just doesnt want to let go of you, lol)

My recommendations then, and only then, are Vungtau, Danang and perhaps Hua Hin.

Phuket has many qualities. It is basically up to you to make the most of it. If you don’t like it I will not go with the recommendation made by Axel in relation Vung Tau and Danang. Having spent five years in Viet Nam, Phuket outweigh any of these places ten-fold, except they are great places to visit for week-end.

Cheers……….kandt :o:D

IMHO, Phuket is becoming a very over crowded and under serviced. I have lived in the south of the Island for 6 years or so and remember the good ole days, when there were not any cars or as many farangs - you could go a week and not see another farang and the odd car, was a welcome sight in an otherwise very sleepy area.

I am glad however that the type of person that comes to Phuket is changing and I believe the Patong as we know it now, we will be a lot different in the next few years. Keep the bar scene in Pattaya and Bangers and let us non bar types have a better care free life, without the 80 year old tourist, riding a Harley with a cheap bit of fluff hanging on the back.

With that said when we all arrive first, that is how we carry on, but later find more interesting things to do and then that type of tourist looks ugly to us and to the Thais - I hope in the long run, Phuket will be to epensive for the back packer type or the guy/gal who comes for the Patong "goodies", let them go to the biggest brothel in Thailand -is it Bangers or Pattaya?

I love Phuket, for the life style, but the bar scene is as tired as it ever was, it just took a couple of years to work it out.