What's Your Phuket Experience?

thaigerd

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Lived in Phuket 8 years.

Patong is not Phuket. If you want to see the shit side of phuket go to patong!!!!And in high season when the little girlies are working their butts off!!!

Phuket Town is now becoming a nice place to go to evenings as well. Karon has a great new pub as well. Try Angus O'Tool's Irish Pub in Karon.

www.otools-phuket.com

Also in Chalong go to The Green Man. Tudor pub in the middle of Chalong.

www.the-green-man.net

Nikita's bar down in rawai (get Tony to buy you a beer as well). Nice little bar right on the beach.

Peppers (near the laguna entrance) great bar as well.

These are mainly english pubs and bars btw.

Have a look at Phuket Directory. www.phuketdir.com Good contacts in there as well

Depends if you want to be taken seriously if you are running a business here or if you just want to kick back and retire. If running a business then get a large hat for night times when you go and behave like a retard!!!so no one knows it's you (and you can meet all your friends doing the same thing)

Fancy running? Try www.phuket-hhh.org Local hash run that thinks drinking is more important that running. Probably right anyway!!!

Most thai people here are imports!!!

If you make friends with a Phuket born Thai, value it very much. Once you are a true friend doors open in the most unlikely places.

Have a good time in Phuket. It's worth it!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I've lived in Bangkok, Chaing Mai, Phuket and Ban Phe and Phuket was by far the best. Bangkok rates second only for the big city conveniences and of course the bazillion insanely beautiful women. Phuket leaves a lot to be desired if you're looking for a decent lady you might want to settle down with. Slim pickings. Sure if you want to go out and play you can do that, no problem. I lived in the south, in between Rawai and Promthep cape, near Nai Harn beach. Great location and very laid back, friendly and kind of funky neigborhood. Miles away from the BS of Patong, but I could easily go there if I wanted, so kind of the best of both worlds. The beaches are great, life is more or less convenient, not too expensive. Overall good place to live. Hardly anyone there now - tourism has dried up! Not good for my business. I may go back next year. :o

I went to Phuket many times in the past and met my wife in Patong in 1998. I've been back there a couple of times since and could see the deterioration of the tourist industry. All because of the chase after the mighty dollar. Patong became greedy and won't see me again. Other parts of Phuket is still worth every minute and I agree with a few of the other posts: Avoid Patong but enjoy Phuket.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I'm living since over 12 years in Phuket. :D

My opinions:

Positive: :D

A lot very good Restaurants, every style, Seafood cheaper as in Bangkok

Nice beaches (seldom used)

Boot trips, diving, fishing and sailing

Good Shopping possibilities (Robinson, BigC, Ocean, Lotus, HomePro)

Many Golf curses, Go-Cart, Sport facilities

Hotels, Houses, Bungalows from cheap to expensive

Streets OK.

Nice place to live

Disco's und Bars (Street to) with a lot Girls (sometimes very nice)

Clean air

Negative: :o

Traffic, inexperienced (drunken) drivers, Motorbikes drive how it's like (many accidents, no Helmet, Motorbike not recommended)

Tuktuk-"Mafia", (more as nighttimes Silom Road)

Cheating "Farangs" most by Farangs (not easy to make Money in Thailand)

Many uneducated People from countryside, hope make money from Tourists

More corruption as Bangkok

drake

• 2 weeks later...

my opinion about Phuket is that it's a place where a Farang (or western) loser can feel himself like God.

I do not want to offend anybody and I will try to explain what I mean: do not intend the world "loser" in the bad way, just think at people which are not (or no more) adapted to the Western standards.

The same money (pension or savings) that give you a "survival" living in Europe or in the US will grant you a superb style of life in Phuket, the lonely life (and sad life) of the western world can be written off here in Phuket finding friends, girls, things to do.

The boring winters are now beaches and seafood. Reading a book home alone now is a choice, before was the only alternative.

Living in Europe or US is very competitive and some people are not used to this competitivness and they feel themselves much more confortable in Phuket where the "white face" and some money in the wallet make you #1.

In Phuket nobody cares of what you do, what you are, how you dress, what you say, in Europe everybody is a judge of everybody.

You can make your hair blue and nobody cares of you, you can decide to have a GF of the age of your grandchild and nobody shits on you.

I love this kind of freedom (very different from the freedom we intend in the West) and one day should I be sick of my actual stressing style of life, I will make the big move and join you.

Am I a loser too?? May be Yes, but I want to enjoy my life and I will DO.

Rants:

- Thai men are sometimes quite nasty to farang women (leering, booing, u name it)

- Constant bargaining battle with tuk-tuk drivers/ motorbike taxis

- Over-quoting me for a fish

- I pay 500 baht to watch Thai boxing; Thais pay 20 baht

- Crazy motorbike racing kids

- Mosquitoes and water problems

- Thais often contradict themselves

- VERY bad internet connection :o

Raves:

- Thais in general are pretty humorous and relaxed bunch

- Food is fantastic

- Changs cost as much as a packet of crisps :D

- Modern amenities (cinemas, supermarkets)

- Great beaches; superb diving; warm weather with lots of sunshine

- I love driving my bike along the coasts

- Watching Thai men drinking Lao Kao/ Ya Dong at 7am in the morning

- Thai kids with short hair big teeth :D

- Going to Issan karaokes for a laugh

• 1 month later...

For the most part, I've had good experiences in Phuket. The bad experiences: a cab driver that charged me 500 baht to take me to Patong Beach, but stopped along the way at a travel agency where they stronly suggested I book a hotel right then and there; also, a few crazy bargirls from the Rock Hard -one was on drugs or something; I paid her 2500 baht just to get the ###### out of my hotel room.

And that's about the extent off my bad experiences, other than the 5-year-old little girl that ripped me off when I bought some Chicklets. I was sitting in a restaurant having a sandwich and a beer and some little girl comes up and lays three packs of Chicklets in front of me and asks me if I want to buy some gum. I ask her mow much and she says 5 baht. I say ok and give her the 5 baht, but then she takes the money and also takes away two of the three packs of Chicklets and leaves me with one. Oh well, I'll know better next time. Other than those few instances, I've always been treated royally in Phuket. Everyone from the front desk girls to the waitresses to the tuk tuk drivers were all very very nice. I may move there in a year or so.

Rex :o

My experiences in Phuket have been ALL POSITIVE, and the only people that have spent more time there than I have are the expats that LIVE THERE!

You know, I'm amazed at how the rest of the world seems reacts to "Americans" whenever they enter these little chat rooms. I'm an American who has visited Phuket nearly 30 times in the past 4 years (work and holiday), and I have NEVER had a single negative experience based on my nationality, at least not from what I consider to be the apolitical Thais I interact with. A few (and clearly a minority, but usually French and German- duhh!) of my fellow farangs have been less than hospitable to me when they discovered my nationality, but then again, I don't travel to Phuket to interact with them - its fine if they want to get to know another human being that lives here on the face of the planet, but you know, if they have something against Americans, well, then get in line pal, but get out of my face. I'm American, and damned proud of it!

As for Phuket, there's no place on the face of the planet that I'd rather spend my time. I've even opened a branch office of my American corporation there, and I have every intention of making it my second home in the near future. The Thais are genuine (away from Soi Bagla, that is), the weather is nearly identical to my home here in Hawaii, and the opportunities there are boundless.

Check out the Hash House Harriers (meeting at the Expat Hotel at 3:00 PM on Saturday afternoons) the next time you're in town! Meet a bunch of GREAT expats and super Thais!

Well said Phys,

I would add though that during rainy season Phuket seems to get more than it's share of rain, frequent flooding, etc. But really not much of a problem as I've seen a foot of standing water disappear in an hour. :o

Lived in Phuket 8 years.

Patong is not Phuket. If you want to see the shit side of phuket go to patong!!!!And in high season when the little girlies are working their butts off!!!

Phuket Town is now becoming a nice place to go to evenings as well. Karon has a great new pub as well. Try Angus O'Tool's Irish Pub in Karon.

www.otools-phuket.com

www.the-green-man.net

Nikita's bar down in rawai (get Tony to buy you a beer as well). Nice little bar right on the beach.

Have a look at Phuket Directory. www.phuketdir.com Good contacts in there as well

Depends if you want to be taken seriously if you are running a business here or if you just want to kick back and retire. If running a business then get a large hat for night times when you go and behave like a retard!!!so no one knows it's you (and you can meet all your friends doing the same thing)

Fancy running? Try www.phuket-hhh.org Local hash run that thinks drinking is more important that running. Probably right anyway!!!

If you make friends with a Phuket born Thai, value it very much. Once you are a true friend doors open in the most unlikely places.

It's all a matter of taste, I like Patong and you don't :o

What you all think about Phuket?

Tell us what you think, pro's & contra's

Gerd

I think Phuket's great.

I love the Phuket police. They constantly stop me and ask me for my driving licence. I dread to think what might happen if they didn't. I might actually drive along without my licence on me (shudder)!

Only irritating bad experiences. You arrive at the airport, no taxis, but some guys who want to bring you to your hotel for Baht 4-500. That's about 3-times the price of Bangkok. Actually, the price was offered to Blue Canyon, where my friend lived, 2-3 miles around the corner. That experience was a few years back, but a good reason for me, not to go there anymore.

Well, had to go again since the same guy got married, stayed in Laguna, hotel was paid, my bill for 2 persons, lunch in the coffee-shop (2 lunches) 2 breakfasts for 2 exceeded the price for a stay in a 5-star hotel in BKK.

Oh yeah, after the wedding party, 2:00 am, go back from Laguna ....(?) to our hotel Laguna .... (?) 200 Baht, no negotiations, pay or walk.

I hear meanwhile Phuket has got, or will get, metered taxis?

Now mind you, I did not pay the taxi-prices offered, but imagine my partners coming for holidays, not speaking a word of Thai, OK, I recommend to them, other places, but avoid HKT.

There ARE some taxis now at the airport (Oops - your post is 6 months old - who re-started this thread?). Go outside, past all the mafia-run mini-buses to the far side of the car park, on the left. They even have a very big painted cloth sign strung up between some trees saying "Metered Taxis"!! A nice touch, I thought. I've no idea how much they charge though, because I've got a truck and can park it there all day for 50 baht.

The last time they tried to get a bus service started between Patong, Karon and Kata the driver was pulled from the bus and beaten up. That was 1994 I think. No one has tried since.

But I still love the air, the beaches, most of the people. Sunset at Karon can be beautiful. I don't live in Patong any more - moved out after two months and even gave up one month's pre-paid rent. Couldn't stand the noise, the farang drunks, brainless motorcyclists and all the parasites feeding off farangs with 'holiday money' to burn.

Phuket has problems. Too much building, too much traffic chaos, too much corruption. But this is the Thai way - and who are we to complain? It's nice to get to the beach, watch the girlfriend grabbing crabs from the surf for her "som tam boo", watch the sun set. Can't do that in Bangkok!

• 2 weeks later...
Lived in Phuket 8 years.

www.otools-phuket.com

www.the-green-man.net

Patong is part of Phuket, if you like it or not it'ss up to you, but I love Patong and have been living here for more than 12 years, if you don't like it tough ####

I think that Phuket has is all. You have luxury life in gated communities to hillside residences in Patong. If you want to live near action, have a quiet home in a tropical nearly pollution free area its Phuket! There are enought bars, things to do and now with the Big Box Store see http://www.phuketgazette.net/news/index.asp?id=3629

opening the cost of living will go down 10% or more!

Hard to see any downside to living in Patong!

Phuket "was" nice. I remember the weeks up to "high season" in the good old days, the time when the sunny weather begin to dominate.

It was great. Take your car/motorbike or better bicycle in the morning, just when the sun rise, traffic was nothing to worry about, driving out to Kamala. Coffee break at a local coffee shop in Kathu. Early swim in the ocean and still able to be back in Phuket town before 0900.

Now it is construction,dust,traffic jam and Phuket reminds more about a big parking lot than a paradise. :o

Next destination. "TRANG"

:D

Now it is construction,dust,traffic jam and Phuket reminds more about a big parking lot than a paradise. :o 

And now we have Central Festival and Makro opening within days of each other. It seems like the entire population of Phuket is converging on the traffic lights at Chao Fa and Wichit Songkhram roads - total chaos!

And because they've stopped traffic from the south and east turning right into Central Festival car park, these cars are now using the Big C car park as way of turning round to get to Central from the north west!

Why didn't they improve the roads first?

Is 'planning ahead' only a Western concept?