Beach ambiance in Thailand....

smokie36

You will find what you are looking for in the Caribbean, those are native to all the wonderful countries in the region, It was my plans to move there but I came to Thailand and fell in love with Thailand. Never thought about the life there anymore.

Cheers:wai2.gif

At any locals beach the rum (Sang som) is flowing and the awful Thai music is thumping. Young guys homoerotically wrestling each other and the girls playing facebook.

Edit: I nearly forgot. Unsupervised toddlers pointing fireworks at you.

Otherwise known as Bang Saen.

Edited by arthurwait

I've spent a lot of time in the Caribbean, and at least a bit of time on almost every island. I love that area and was really into diving for many years. Some of the best dive sites in the world are there.

Thailand just doesn't compare. Beautiful white sand beaches there, generally OK pollution control (at least for sewers), steel drums and really good PROPER rum drinks. I've got some great memories of the islands. But, it's much more expensive there. Very few backpackers. Generally a bit more upscale travelers. In some cases, down right wealthy. Some fantastic food.

But! Hurricanes! It's a big deal for most of the caribbean.

• Like 1

I've spent a lot of time in the Caribbean, and at least a bit of time on almost every island. I love that area and was really into diving for many years. Some of the best dive sites in the world are there.

Thailand just doesn't compare. Beautiful white sand beaches there, generally OK pollution control (at least for sewers), steel drums and really good PROPER rum drinks. I've got some great memories of the islands. But, it's much more expensive there. Very few backpackers. Generally a bit more upscale travelers. In some cases, down right wealthy. Some fantastic food.

But! Hurricanes! It's a big deal for most of the caribbean.

I lived in Trinidad for a while...and visited a few of the other islands.

Really you are right about the drums...and the locals love of a good lime....its a state of mind though.....and I just wondered which island in Thailand matched that best is all.

Best beach or water is less important to me on this occasion.

Thanks for all the replies so far....very interesting! smile.png

So you are really asking which surroundings(Islands) have had the largest effect on getting that ambience you have described.

The closest I got to the reggae scene was Venezuela. Small island of the coast, Isla Margaritha. It's name onlywub.png , induced some kind of magic spell. My state of mind, nevertheless dominated my overall experience and also the ability to completely set aside my life back home in order to breath salty ocean air with a clear mind. Feeling good, comprehending, experiencing and appreciating these moments have to come from your heart.

• Like 1

Its a long long way from the beach BUT if you are ever in Chiang Rai and need a dose of Reggae try the peace house bar on jed yod road on a Friday night....live music and a bunch of thai rasta types with a nice open air garden in the back.....some nights it can be quite a party.

• Like 1

I'll have to agree with DrEvil....you will find this ambience on Koh Phangan. I lived there for 7 years and I can recommend Than Sadet, more so the far side of Thong Nai Pan Noy beach....excellent chillout bar (forgot the name..!) on a beautiful sand beach.

Thong Nai Pan Noi (and Yai) has turned into an expensive resort style beach for families according to reports.

Chillout types not welcome anymore.

Is Bar Nu still open on TNP?

Coincidentily I was talking to an African freelancer in a Pattaya bar yesterday afternoon and we spent most of the time talking about the beaches in Ghana and Tanzania and why Thailand didn't replicate the beach bar atmosphere with the music, girls and dancing...

• Like 1

m

Samui, Mr A's reggae bar.

attachicon.gifIMG_2471.JPG

View from Mr. A's bar.

attachicon.gifIMG_2470.JPG

Looks lovely, Dancealot. I haven't spent enough time in the beach areas of Thailand to contribute to this thread. From those photos I owe myself a visit. But, one thing I've learned in the short time I spent in LOS is a lot depends on the company you are with. I would quickly get bored on a lovely beach if I was alone with nothing to do but sit on my butt. With my red hair complexion I don't tan, and experience has taught me that sandy beach areas are not good for marine life and diving. Sitting alone at a bar isn't much fun either, even if the music is great.

• Like 2

One of the reasons I prefer SE Asia is specifically because I don't have to deal with Caribbean beach behaviour. I do not want to see or hear the filthy hordes, particularly the wannabes. They are dirty, have offensive body odors and are prone to petty crime. Oh yes, Jamaica where the beach culture you so idolize reigns supreme means that prudent tourists do not leave their secure beach compounds. Is that what you really want? The few Thai wannabes that work as jetski touts in Patong hardly contribute to the beach ambience. They are a pox upon society, a social blight who should be conscripted into the army and sent off for some discipline and a shearing of their cootie infested dreadlocks. Thankfully, Hua Hin is free of such a scene. Please do not encourage such a disruptive, and unproductive lifestyle amongst the locals. angry.gif

• Like 1

One of the reasons I prefer  SE Asia is specifically because I don't have to deal with  Caribbean beach behaviour. I do not want to see or hear the  filthy hordes, particularly the wannabes. They are dirty, have offensive body odors and are prone to petty crime. Oh yes, Jamaica where the beach culture you so idolize reigns supreme means that prudent tourists do not leave their secure beach compounds. Is that what you really want?  The few Thai wannabes that work as  jetski touts in Patong hardly contribute to the beach ambience. They are a pox upon society, a social blight who should be conscripted into the army and sent off for some discipline and a shearing of their cootie infested dreadlocks.  Thankfully, Hua Hin is free of such a scene. Please do not encourage such a disruptive, and unproductive lifestyle amongst the locals.   Posted Image

Crikey....I thought at first a poster had escaped from the stalag of the Phuket Forum!

Then I notice its you geriatrickid.....well I am not suggesting an entire philosophy of life....just a friendly abd happy vibe on the neach to enjoy your down time.

Too much? Ok mate have a lovely day in any case. :)