Rainy Season

ray23

I live in the Central region about 60 km southwest of Khampaeng Phet and we had a thunderstorm, high winds and heavy rain this afternoon which took the power out for about 1/2 an hour.

It has been raining on and off since then and another thunderstorm this evening but no power cut.

Normally it is late April or early May up here but it has been an odd sort of year for the weather so far so I can't predict that far ahead.

We have had no government water for about 6 weeks so far but I think it will come back early next week as it is close to Songkran.

I had an idea but never knew the official version, this year we seem to be getting some early. Not that I'm complaining enjoying the break the heat. Also sometimes I just like to get converation's going that are not politically motivated, not about the bad girls of Thialand, the corrupt Police you know just somethign different. Safeist topic in the world is the weather :D

Although I did seem to get insulted on this one :o LOL LOL LOL LOL

I had an idea but never knew the official version, this year we seem to be getting some early.

Normally, the rain kicks in for a couple of weeks up to a month shortly after Songkran, but you're right... we're getting a bit early this year (of rain that is). :o

After that we get a couple of months of dry weather again before the wettest time of year in September and October.

It does seem unusally hotter and more humid this year for early April.

Is this going to be the Isaan "Rain" thread? :D

Why not we had a good one last year, but I thought it would be interesting to see what happens around the country, not just Issan. But hey I got a lot of time to do these things others may not

Here in Nakhon, the rain started around last October and it pretty much rained every day until March. November was the worst, that's when we had floods. Then we started having sunny days from December on.

Often it rains here and it is sunny in Samui.

It's really hot now, we turned on the aircon to sleep last night, generally only use the fan. If it rains today, it will be welcomed.

Bangkok tends to have 2 periods of rain. Starting sometime in May with a bang and will rain almost daily until the middle of June and then it dries up for the rest of June and most of July. The rain comes back in August and builds to a peak in September before tailing off in the first half of October. Last year was different though ( finished a month late).

In the South the rains stay a month later than BKK and in the North I believe they start a few weeks later and finish earlier.

I don't think anyone can define rainy season anymore. Certainly down here in the south it is very unpredictable. As Donna says, I reckon we are all at the end of our tenderhooks here as it's SO ###### hot! We really need a few thunder storms to break it. February was great - loads of rain!!! End of last year there were evenings when a fellow islander had to come to the bar in aa fleece as it was so chilly!!!! :o