PM: Be careful or we will harm our rice reputation

Lite Beer

RICE SCHEME
PM: Be careful or we will harm our rice reputation
The Sunday Nation

30210902-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Talk about contaminated rice could hurt sales, farmers, Yingluck warns

People should not generalise all Thai rice as being substandard or contaminated, as the problem of a small amount of low-quality or contaminated rice has been blown out proportion and is negatively affecting all farmers, Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra warned yesterday.

Yingluck made the remark during her weekly television appearance in 'PM meet the People' programme yesterday. The premier said some spoiled rice was caused by leaking rice bags being exposed to the elements during transport.

She said on the TV programme after discovering substandard rice at a privately run rice-packaging factory in Ayutthaya that several processes were involved and may have been contaminated during other initial processing prior to arriving at the packaging plant.

Some impurities, such as tiny pieces of stone, soil, bits of wood would have to be removed more thoroughly.

"Factories should be able to find out at which stage their rice was contaminated. Leaking rice bags could present a problem too. If there's a thorough check at various stages we can use this to explain to the people.

"We're worried that it may affect the overall picture of the country's [rice] and will cost loss of revenue. Rice is a staple food and we export a lot and Thai people eat rice too and so we're concerned that people will feel uncomfortable.

"So we're rushing the discussion in order to create understanding.

"Normally packaged rice has to be rinsed but we must see how many impurities [foreign particles] are in there," the prime minister said.

It was imperative that Thailand maintains a high standard for its rice and the past two to three weeks had seen a discussion between various stakeholders in the value chain seeking ways to lift food standards, the PM said. She added that organic agriculture was another area the Kingdom could expand into.

Yingluck also urged rice sellers to consider honesty to the consumers as paramount.

"The reputation of a product's brand is important. If one aspect suffers, it may lead to the inability to sell the product… If there's a loss of confidence, no one will buy Thai rice and the burden will be on farmers who will have to switch to other crops."

In a related development, opposition Democrat Party's spokesperson Chavanond Intarakomalyasut urged the government to solve the problem at its roots, saying the government's rice-pledging scheme was to blame.

The scheme was also tainted by corruption and a huge stock of unsold rice, Chavanond told a press conference yesterday.

"Let me say to the government that if you think solving the problem by using state power to harass, threaten or shut the eyes and ears of the people will work - it did not work in the past."

Finance Minister Thanusak Lek-uthai, meanwhile, said the second stage of the farmers

credit-card scheme would enable farmers to purchase fertiliser, seeds and pesticides at a fair price, interest-free, for a period of five months. Four million farmers would be able to benefit from it, he said.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-07-21

Now I acknowledge the female's perchance to deny, change her mind, forget what she said yesterday, have selective hearing/understanding, sulk, threaten, cry, go shopping, go home to moma, with hold favors, etc but it would appear this is one of those times she got caught out.

Her attempt at damage control was not well organized nor apparently effective, so do what she does best????

I am sure there is something she is good at or at least has the potential to learn.

This is truly confusing. Is there, or is there not, some contamination in Thai rice? One day she says there is, the next there isn't.

One thing that is certain though is that the rice mountain is not getting any younger and until they can better manipulate world rice prices it isn't getting any smaller.

I hear you. One day the govt is saying the rice fine...no to very little contamination; the next day they seem to be saying there are indeed steps which the govt needs to immediately take to reduce contamination--contamination that is apparently too high in some cases...cases which the govt failed to spot until consumer protection organizations identified the problem. The current rice buying scheme has turned into a bucket of worms, slippery pig, etc., for the PTP.

This is truly confusing. Is there, or is there not, some contamination in Thai rice? One day she says there is, the next there isn't.

One thing that is certain though is that the rice mountain is not getting any younger and until they can better manipulate world rice prices it isn't getting any smaller.

I hear you. One day the govt is saying the rice fine...no to very little contamination; the next day they seem to be saying there are indeed steps which the govt needs to immediately take to reduce contamination--contamination that is apparently too high in some cases...cases which the govt failed to spot until consumer protection organizations identified the problem. The current rice buying scheme has turned into a bucket of worms, slippery pig, etc., for the PTP.

It's a crisis management catastrophe.

Lest we forget the floods weren't meant to be as bad as they were, were they..... They are clueless about how to handle bad news.

• Like 1

Too late . coffee1.gif

Darn, beat me to the punch. As this disaster was of her own creation, it now is funny to see her twist in the wind. Guess the next step for the government is to declare that anyone making fun of rotten rice will be prosecuted for damaging the reputation of Thailand...

• Like 1

Thailand's rice meets international safety standards. There is no embargo on Thai rice.

If the ideal is to have no chemical contamination on Thai rice, then that would be next to impossible. Almost all of the food we consume now has "contaminants". It's in the lime one picks of the tree in the backyard, and its in the food imported from the EU.

Thailand's rice meets international safety standards. There is no embargo on Thai rice.

If the ideal is to have no chemical contamination on Thai rice, then that would be next to impossible. Almost all of the food we consume now has "contaminants". It's in the lime one picks of the tree in the backyard, and its in the food imported from the EU.

The limes (and avocados, grapefruits, mulberries, brazil nuts, etc) from my backyard are pretty much free from unwanted chemicals, except for the residue from my neighbors, when the sloppily spray weed killer on their side of fences. I've seen heavy spraying of chemi in rice fields all over this region of northern Thailand. Ironically, if Thai farmers would be allowed to grow hemp (as farmers from China and many other countries are allowed to do), then they wouldn't need to spray chemi, and their product would be more valuable and healthy (hemp seed are excellent health food). The advantages of hemp over rice could fill a thick book.

• Like 1

The limes (and avocados, grapefruits, mulberries, brazil nuts, etc) from my backyard are pretty much free from unwanted chemicals, except for the residue from my neighbors, when the sloppily spray weed killer on their side of fences. I've seen heavy spraying of chemi in rice fields all over this region of northern Thailand. Ironically, if Thai farmers would be allowed to grow hemp (as farmers from China and many other countries are allowed to do), then they wouldn't need to spray chemi, and their product would be more valuable and healthy (hemp seed are excellent health food). The advantages of hemp over rice could fill a thick book.

Controls on the application of pesticides in the fields in Thailand are almost non existent.

You only know after the stuff has been delivered and tested. They use too much, of the wrong stuff, at the wrong time.

• Like 1

What are the effects of toxins (applied on food) on a person's mental and physical being?

That's a Q which could occupy a group of health foodists and scientists for a lifetime or more.

Even so, I'll take a stab at some thumbnail sketches of effects from toxins:

Near term: Feeling irritable. The opposite of experiencing an enjoyable drug. Headaches and/or clenching of jaw muscles and stiffness of muscles - particularly between shoulders and nape of neck.

Long Term: Possible cancer, of which there are many types, including blood disorders. Possible harmful repercussions for fetuses and other reproductive-related functions - for both males and females. Mother's milk can certainly be affected by toxins. Weakening of immune system, and generally exacerbating conditions of other ailments.

That's just some of what comes to mind.

Well, I have a master degree in food technology and I worked for a wheat and rye mill for some time.

facts are: in tropic climate if you get this bug inside they multiply extreme fast.

Considering they fight the bugs in this kind of storage inside the bags:

If you want to gas them out you must bring the gas to the core of this rice bag cube, so you need a lot of gas. If you don't kill all of them, the population recovers in a very short time.

Unless there is a other technology for rice which I don't know it seems very difficult.

If it is infected I think you can only sell it for other purposes...rice in the jail, rice for make beer, starch etc etc which will get way lower price