House Registration

When I bought my condo about a year and a half ago, I received a blue house registration booklet with it, along with the red garuda-stamped title. I later took the house reg booklet down to the local amphoe office and they told me there's a different house reg booklet for foreigners, a yellow one.

I didn't take the time that day to go through the process of obtaining the yellow booklet but they said I could come in anytime and do it, no hurry, etc. I'd like to get house registration because I know it comes in handy for buying vehicles and what not. But has anyone had experience with the foreigner house registration?

One dilemma it presents is that my wife wants to change her house registration from her parents place in Bangkok to my condo here in Chiang Mai. I haven't tried it yet, but I wonder if it will be a problem to have her name added to the yellow booklet?

Any comments appreciated.

I am also planning to get my yellow house registration book. I telephoned the Registrar of Housing this morning and was told I would need the following documents:

1. Birth certificate with Thai translation. This must be certified by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs;

2. Passport and Work permit;

3. Letter from employer confirming that you still work at your current place of employment;

4. Letter from Embassy (in my case Australian) confirming address in Thailand;

5. Three 2" photos.

You need to go with all of these documents and have an interview. The owner of the house and one Thai witness also need to go with you.

Bobcat

I'm the sole owner of my condo, and all my amphoe office wants to see are the deed; my passport; work permit; letter from Thai immigration verifying my address; head shots. Nothing from my embassy/consulate, and no birth certificate.

You should be fine. Do you have the sale agreement for your condo (หนังสือสัญญาขาย)? It will be in Thai but it should have on it the names of your parents next to the word บุตร about halfway down the page. I phoned them again this morning and they said I could use this instead of the birth certificate. I guess they're just looking for a document to show the names of your parents.

Of course, it may be different in Chiang Mai. Let us know how you get on.

Thais can be added to a yellow booklet, no problem.  Also, once a foreigner obtains permanent residency he is given a blue one.

So how would a farang who just bought a newly constructed condo (first owner) stand if he was given a Blue Book (and chinoot in his name) but not a Yellow Book?

My understanding is that any farang with a valid visa (even Tourist) can legally purchase a condo provided that all the other criteria are complied with (TT3, 49% farang ownership restriction etc).

What is the significance of a Yellow Book as opposed to a Blue one?

They will give you a blue book if you buy a condo but you cannot have your name in it unless you have Thai citizenship or you are a permanent resident. The blue book is an official Thai house registration book. I am told the yellow book is not really a "house registration" but just evidence of where a foreigner lives. If you have a yelow book, you can transfer your name to a blue book later if you get PR or citizenship. Bottom line - both books can be used as an official document to evidence your place of residence.

If I am mistaken, please correct me.

Sounds reasonable to me.

Another point of interest: having your name in either a blue or yellow book makes you eligible for a 30 baht health care card. You could've knocked me over with a feather when mine arrived in the mail (no, I haven't used it yet).