Cleaning off silicone

I bought a silicone-based product to apply to the doors on my shower cubicle to stop shower scum building up on the glass. Unfortunately, my partner thought it was a cleaning product and applied it on top of the existing scum. The silicone is now doing a wonderful job of protecting the existing scum. I've tried both Mr. Muscle and a glass cleaner, but neither makes the slightest dent on the scum, even with vigorous rubbing. Does anyone have any idea how I can clean off the silicone/scum mixture? Thanks.

Try vinegar or industrial alcohol/thinners etc.

And thanks for a good laugh, made my day. smile.png

By the way, the silicone protectant doesn't really work anyway. Used it at home and you just end up with hazy glass. Best way to keep the glass clean is to squeegee it off after every shower.

Edited by Gsxrnz

<The only way is to use a sharp razor blade and cut away the dirty silicone.

Once all is removed thoroughly dry the area and reapply with new silicone.>

Yeah I agree. I think you (/r better half) used the silicone sealant that aquaria are held together with, strong as Charles Atlas.

Razor blade/sharp knife the way to go. The stuff is virtually insoluble, inflammable, U/V undamagable.

Even hydrofluoric acid will chew up glass and metal before silicone. Good luck, AA

<The only way is to use a sharp razor blade and cut away the dirty silicone.

Once all is removed thoroughly dry the area and reapply with new silicone.>

Yeah I agree. I think you (/r better half) used the silicone sealant that aquaria are held together with, strong as Charles Atlas.

Razor blade/sharp knife the way to go. The stuff is virtually insoluble, inflammable, U/V undamagable.

Even hydrofluoric acid will chew up glass and metal before silicone. Good luck, AA

It's not the silicone sealant used for aquariums/baths/kitchens etc. to cover joins. It's a liquid that's used on glass so that water runs off quickly. Similar liquids are sold here to put on car windscreens so that they clear more quickly in rain, thus improving visibility.

The thought of using a razor blade to clear 4-5 sq. metres of glass is challenging to say the least.

Razor scraper to get past the silicon and vinegar to dissolve the scale. Or you may be able to find a household descaler like Lime-Away in Thailand, but vinegar is usually cheaper if you can get past the smell.

If you're real brave (and more than a little reckless) try muriatic acid (AKA swimming pool scale remover- Hydrochloric acid) on the scale. But don't get any on you, and don't breathe the air because the chlorine gas will do some serious harm to your lungs. On second thought, maybe that's not a good idea. I've done it a few times, and it works quite quickly, but the risk is pretty high indoors.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

In the end I found that a metal pot scourer did a good job, with a bit of water as lubricant and to wash the debris away. Took a lot of elbow grease, but the glass is now as good as new.

(I didn't want to use a chemical solvent since this might damage the silicone which seals the glass to the walls and floor.)