Koh Lan for a few days...... A few questions.

pattayadingo

Posting this in Patts forum more for local knowledge more than anything.

It is a long time since I went over to the island so I have a few questions about a few days break there.

1) I can take my own m/c?

2) Where to stay :-

Near the beach with Air con (does not have to be plush). Want to walk the beach of an evening sometimes.

With some nightlife nearby (within walking distance or short m/c taxi ride -hopefully a bit of music)

3) Where to go on the m/c (anywhere special to go? If not, good beaches, food by the beach (candlelit?)

Any good view / vantage points to take photos from / sit and enjoy the view type of thing.

4) Any good boat rides around the island itself?

Anything else of interest?

I do not want to sit in a bar drinking beer daytime but evenings are fine for beer :)

Thanks for any decent input.

The Buddha statue on the southern hill ( don't know the name) is quite nice as a vantage point. There are lots of boats and tours: monkey island , koh sak fishing and so on. the weather is rough at the moment, so you better do not get sea-sick easily.

Most of the beaches are packed with Chinese, Russian and Indian day trippers. One some of the beaches, you can't even swim because of the speed boats rushing all around. Really dangerous.

Others can jump in, but I can't imagine there's anything to do after the day boats are gone. There are a few places to take the scooter, but not many, and not very far.

Personally, I'd head over for the day and check it out first. Easy enough to do.

wai2.gif

• Like 2

1) You can take your bike for I believe 250 baht and only on certain boats so check ahead.

2) Napuk resort is 600 baht with AC and near beach.

3) Send me a message if you need any assistance.

The Buddha statue on the southern hill ( don't know the name) is quite nice as a vantage point. There are lots of boats and tours: monkey island , koh sak fishing and so on. the weather is rough at the moment, so you better do not get sea-sick easily.

Most of the beaches are packed with Chinese, Russian and Indian day trippers. One some of the beaches, you can't even swim because of the speed boats rushing all around. Really dangerous.

Others can jump in, but I can't imagine there's anything to do after the day boats are gone. There are a few places to take the scooter, but not many, and not very far.

Personally, I'd head over for the day and check it out first. Easy enough to do.

wai2.gif alt=wai2.gif>

Thanks for that. I do appreciate the input and also the offer from Udonthani1 :)

From the sounds of it, I might change my ideas and find a different island to go to.

As I said, it is a long time since I was there. It may well be that my memory of the place is mixed up with elswhere from when I used to travel around a lot, often guided by a Thai at the time.

In those days you could park on beach road and sleep in the truck!! laugh.png

Maybe a re-think is in order :)

1) You can take your bike for I believe 250 baht and only on certain boats so check ahead.

wai2.gif alt=wai2.gif>

Thanks for that. I do appreciate the input and also the offer from Udonthani1 smile.png

From the sounds of it, I might change my ideas and find a different island to go to.

As I said, it is a long time since I was there. It may well be that my memory of the place is mixed up with elswhere from when I used to travel around a lot, often guided by a Thai at the time.

In those days you could park on beach road and sleep in the truck!! xlaugh.png.pagespeed.ic.YrVD4txHqx.webp alt=laugh.png width=20 height=20>

Maybe a re-think is in order smile.png

Much better choice Koh Samet. Take minibus to Banphe, but 100% avoid guided tours with anything Malibu. In Banphe go to main pier opp. 7/11 and take public boat 50 Baht to get to island. Plenty of bungalows on Hat Sai Kaew & Ao Pai beaches. You will enjoy it. Avoid public holidays. MS.

• Like 2

wai2.gif alt=wai2.gif>

Thanks for that. I do appreciate the input and also the offer from Udonthani1 smile.png

In those days you could park on beach road and sleep in the truck!! http://1-ps.googleusercontent.com/x/www.thaivisa.com/static.thaivisa.com/forum//public/style_emoticons/default/xlaugh.png.pagespeed.ic.YrVD4txHqx.webp alt=laugh.png width=20 height=20>

Maybe a re-think is in order smile.png

Much better choice Koh Samet. Take minibus to Banphe, but 100% avoid guided tours with anything Malibu. In Banphe go to main pier opp. 7/11 and take public boat 50 Baht to get to island. Plenty of bungalows on Hat Sai Kaew & Ao Pai beaches. You will enjoy it. Avoid public holidays. MS.

Agree...samet or ko Chang are much better options in the area.

Not a large island, I spent a day there and I think I saw most of what was on offer. Beautiful beaches and clear seas. Me and my Thai gf hired a taxi up to the temple on the hill. I climbed the 250 steep, sometimes vertical steps to the shrine in the top.

Amazing views from those steps of the bay below. About half way up I couldn't breathe due to heat and effort. I thought, I'd rather die here than on the shop floor in work so I was quite relaxed.

Meanwhile my gf talked to the monks. One asked, next time you come can you bring me a flag?

My gf replied, yes I will bring you a Welsh flag... The monk replied, what about Manchester United!

Great place. Well worth a visit and I'm still alive