Navigating the back streets of Thonburi

Gaccha

Been a long time since I've meandered around that way, but I do remember having a fabulous time just "getting lost" in Thonburi.

Walk across a bridge and turn into any soi. Keep going, turn left, turn right, keep going - discover something by slowly walking through the areas.

You're never really lost. If you want, just keep going towards some main traffic road, or stop at a temple or mosque to ask directions to a main thoroughfare.

One can have a great time getting lost on that side of the river.

Dangerous life you have...

I have travelled to many war zones, and I definitely fear dog attack more than an AK-47...

I wish I could find an effective deterrent for those bloody dogs that go for me when I am out riding on my bicycle.

My thoughts on dogs

I think the dogs can sense when you're ready for them. On the times they acted aggressively there were pretty cautious when they might otherwise have charged and surrounded me. I was also lucky. A couple of sleeping dogs could have trapped my route and forced an unpleasant showdown.

I had a 5 course rabies course recently after a bite. I would recommend the 3 jabs pre-bite course to anyone since you don't need the extremely hard-to-find medicine for that course. Since Thailand has the 3rd highest rate of rabies in the World and going into these small sois makes you a threat in the dogs eyes since is a pretty necessary caution.

On further points to adventure

(1) That block of streets surrounded by Phet Kasem PhraNok (now renamed Wanglang Street), Charansanitwong and ArunAmarin is the best adventure zone. But it's not the only zone. I strongly recommended as an entry-level adventure the block to the right side of Pinklao Bridge as you cross the river in Bangkok Noi.

(2) There is also an aztonishingly beautiful path along Bangkok Noi canal that is tough to spot. The west entrance is impossible to spot so you'll have to go from the east side. Enter at Arun Amarin Bridge in a tiny path snucked away near the stairs on the west side of the north face of the bridge. Once you enter you feel like you've just entered a nature reserve. If I can find pictures I'll post them. It leads to Charansanitwong Road through a winding path including a hidden village with old-style open houses.

(3) The other slum ("congested community" in the administrative lexicon) is the district where the Royal barges museum is located. Every street there is located on a canal. The community is made up of Muslims that were relocated after the creation of the Thonburi train station (that has since then moved 1km inland) on the river front. The locals have expressed fear of the Muslims near the mosque but I found them amiable enough.