First baby advice

eezergood

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, just back from the UK with a ton of clothes & new pushchair etc.... so thats sorted!

Will be born private hospital - so thats that

More general, I have NO IDEAS about babies, never even changed one!

Any general info, such as for registering births what not to do or great products you found invaluable or stuff you just didnt need!

ah there's my piece of advice too late. I would have said don't bother with the push chair way more trouble than they are worth.

About 10 times a day i see some poor bastard struggling with the push chair while mother holding child skips along gracefully far out in front.

if you have a car, a car seat is necessary though, one that can double as a cot when out of the car.

The buggy is useful at home for day naps if it lcan lay flat.

Also good if you get a cat/mossie net for buggies. Usually cost about a fiver in Mothercare

A baby carrier/harness like a baby bjorn is invaluble. We used ours all the time, the mil liked it too for walking around with her grandson & showing him off to her mates. :D

Yeah the average pavement/path around our condo is like going off roading with the buggy. I manage, but the missus cant get over all the cracks and bumps in places.

Get saving every penny! Like someone mentioned, international schools etc

Thanks guys, many people told us the same about the buggy so I got one with huge wheels for the off roading! PLus she wanted one to push around the shopping centre etc....

Really appreciate the advice and averall positivity!

Does anyone know where, in Thailand, i can get a copy of the fatherhood book? Asisbooks no hab sir!

Or does anyone have a copy they would like to sell to me?

I got my copy of Amazon UK. They'll post it here no worries.

I suggest you get a nurse to film it for you. They will usually oblige. It's one of the most moving experiences of your life and you will want to re-live it for sure. We got lucky on that one, I have the whole thing of our child on film being born, priceless.

• Like 2

Nappies, bum wipes, bottle sterilizer, bottles, soft cotton wraps to wrap them in, start stocking up. Any forms for your embassy probably need to be translated into the appropriate language. That caught us out doing house book with an Australian birth certificate. If you really want the best petro chemical free creams and soaps look at Arbonne website.

• Like 1

I suggest you get a nurse to film it for you. They will usually oblige. It's one of the most moving experiences of your life and you will want to re-live it for sure. We got lucky on that one, I have the whole thing of our child on film being born, priceless. 

really? They let you film or take pictures in Thai delivery rooms. There's a difference between Thailand and Australia.

Sent from my LG-E612 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

NOt born yet, getting a little worried as the cervix is open and they saud he should be here by now! Any medical people care to chip in here?

I wouldn't be worried unless the doctors are. Try and relax! I know it's hard isn't it. Get a hospital bag ready. Don't forget some clothes for bubs. Take some reading material and iPod for you and wifey, you may be there a while. Another thing is take some snacks and if your like me, a couple scotches to drink. A little celebration if babies born and your ringing everyone with the news! God I needed it:lol: also her water breaking isn't like the movies, it's not that much, so when she says my waters broken, it may not look like it, believe her, it has. Mine heard it pop. What an awesome feeling of anticipation becoming a dad is! Its the best.:D Make sure you let us know what you had ok.

NOt born yet, getting a little worried as the cervix is open and they saud he should be here by now! Any medical people care to chip in here?

I wouldn't be worried unless the doctors are. Try and relax! I know it's hard isn't it. Get a hospital bag ready. Don't forget some clothes for bubs. Take some reading material and iPod for you and wifey, you may be there a while. Another thing is take some snacks and if your like me, a couple scotches to drink. A little celebration if babies born and your ringing everyone with the news! God I needed it:lol: also her water breaking isn't like the movies, it's not that much, so when she says my waters broken, it may not look like it, believe her, it has. Mine heard it pop. What an awesome feeling of anticipation becoming a dad is! Its the best.biggrin.png Make sure you let us know what you had ok.

A bloody heart attack at this rate!

I am still working, otherwise I would be goign crazy - let the gaggle of inlaws fuss over her for now! Thanks for all the positive stuff guys and non of the manly bravado crap!

• Like 1

I was the same as you. My daughter here has just turned 3 years old. Neither

the mother or myself had ever taken care of a baby, and there were no in-laws

close by to help. So the first thoughts after coming home from the hospital was

" wow, what do we do now ?". Google became my new best friend as there is endless

advice for any problem that comes up. My Thai wife calls me the internet dad. :-)

Advice ?

1. Most important is to breast feed the baby. My daughter has never spent one minute

in a hospital from being sick. One year at a minimum, two years is about right,

any longer is just icing on the cake. My daughter will stop now at three years.

If breast fed, would not feed any solid food until the baby is about 1 and a half.

Lots of stuff on the internet about the dangers of feeding food too soon.

2. Do not use a pacifier. They are not necessary, and can distort the mouth if

used excessively. My daughter has never used one. If the baby has a need,

then address it instead of sticking in a pacifier.

3. Sleep with your baby. But be very careful to roll over on it. I would put my wife

between myself and the baby, or use a long pillow to protect the baby.

When new to the world, it must be terrifying to be put in a dark room by yourself. Far more

comforting to be next to the mother. With this system, getting sleep for the

parents is no problem. The baby wakes up hungry, gives a little whimper,

gets the breast, feeds, and goes right back to sleep.

4. Of course ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS put the baby to sleep on it's back to help prevent

the horror of SIDS, sudden infant death syndrome. To my astonishment at the

hospital the nurse there told my wife to be sure to put the baby to sleep on

her back. Guess the nurse was a bit behind the times medically...

5. Ignore all the village superstitious nonsense advice, which can range from comic

to dangerous. A friend of mine has a Vietnamese wife. On a trip back to her

village the baby became sick. While he was standing outside, he heard his baby

screaming. Rushing inside the house, he discovered his well meaning in-laws were

cutting the baby to bleed it, thinking that would make it well... :-(

Needless to say he went ballistic.... You can agree to cut the hair at one month,

which is a pointless but fairly benign village ritual....

6. When the baby is being given inoculations, go over with the doctor about what

is being given. There are some that are mandatory, and some that the hospital

tries to sort of slip in. The last time I went the doctor tried to slip in

a bird flu shot. I laughed and said my daughter did not live on a bird farm..

7. Whatever country you are from, get her a passport from that country. I did it

at 6 months for my daughter. If you are run over by a bus before you get her

a passport, she will then not be able to ever get one.

Enjoy your baby, for me it has been the best experience of my life !!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by EyesWideOpen
  • Like 2

Relax. You don't need "ideas". Parenting comes naturally. You just need common sense and an understanding that you have made a long term commitment in which the kid is going to rely on you for everything.

Actually, there's nothing that stops you from finding information from external resources. Parenting is a very complex matter, and if mistakes can be avoided they should. Experience is what matters, but as first timer there's hardly any of that. Common sense will only take you that far.

Oopps !!! Typo error on advice # 5...... At the hospital the nurse had

told my wife the correct sleeping position for a baby was on its stomach,

which of course is wrong. The baby must ALWAYS sleep on its back for SIDS

prevention. Breast feeding is also thought to reduce SIDS, as well as sleeping

with your child.

Final note. For the first few months of life the baby stays exactly where you

put it, which for a lot people is a high bed. Then at some development stage

of about six months I think they start to roll. So if you are not careful, they

will roll and then fall off the bed. Do not ask me how I know this..... :-)

A bit of internet research showed this scenario is very very common.

• Like 1

I was the same as you. My daughter here has just turned 3 years old. Neither

the mother or myself had ever taken care of a baby, and there were no in-laws

close by to help. So the first thoughts after coming home from the hospital was

" wow, what do we do now ?". Google became my new best friend as there is endless

advice for any problem that comes up. My Thai wife calls me the internet dad. :-)

Advice ?

1. Most important is to breast feed the baby. My daughter has never spent one minute

in a hospital from being sick. One year at a minimum, two years is about right,

any longer is just icing on the cake. My daughter will stop now at three years.

If breast fed, would not feed any solid food until the baby is about 1 and a half.

Lots of stuff on the internet about the dangers of feeding food too soon.

2. Do not use a pacifier. They are not necessary, and can distort the mouth if

used excessively. My daughter has never used one. If the baby has a need,

then address it instead of sticking in a pacifier.

3. Sleep with your baby. But be very careful to roll over on it. I would put my wife

between myself and the baby, or use a long pillow to protect the baby.

When new to the world, it must be terrifying to be put in a dark room by yourself. Far more

comforting to be next to the mother. With this system, getting sleep for the

parents is no problem. The baby wakes up hungry, gives a little whimper,

gets the breast, feeds, and goes right back to sleep.

4. Of course ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS put the baby to sleep on it's back to help prevent

the horror of SIDS, sudden infant death syndrome. To my astonishment at the

hospital the nurse there told my wife to be sure to put the baby to sleep on

her back. Guess the nurse was a bit behind the times medically...

5. Ignore all the village superstitious nonsense advice, which can range from comic

to dangerous. A friend of mine has a Vietnamese wife. On a trip back to her

village the baby became sick. While he was standing outside, he heard his baby

screaming. Rushing inside the house, he discovered his well meaning in-laws were

cutting the baby to bleed it, thinking that would make it well... :-(

Needless to say he went ballistic.... You can agree to cut the hair at one month,

which is a pointless but fairly benign village ritual....

6. When the baby is being given inoculations, go over with the doctor about what

is being given. There are some that are mandatory, and some that the hospital

tries to sort of slip in. The last time I went the doctor tried to slip in

a bird flu shot. I laughed and said my daughter did not live on a bird farm..

7. Whatever country you are from, get her a passport from that country. I did it

at 6 months for my daughter. If you are run over by a bus before you get her

a passport, she will then not be able to ever get one.

Enjoy your baby, for me it has been the best experience of my life !!!!!!!!!!!!

Agreed.

My baby doesnt always sleep on the back tho.

Actually its hard for him to fall asleep like that.... It does kind of worry me a bit.

But he only gets mums milk and we sleep all together.

Why wouldnt u advice to mix it up with food starting at 5 or 6 months?

it is recommended that babies start eating solids at 4-6 months, not giving them any solids until 18 months is not recommended.

Porridge, mashed banana & rice, after 6 months can introduce meat & fish.

http://voices.yahoo.com/delaying-solid-foods-breastfed-babies-risks-2857246.html

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/starting-solids/AN02145

Just a couple of articles on the subject.

• Like 2

it is recommended that babies start eating solids at 4-6 months, not giving them any solids until 18 months is not recommended.

Porridge, mashed banana & rice, after 6 months can introduce meat & fish.

http://voices.yahoo.com/delaying-solid-foods-breastfed-babies-risks-2857246.html

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/starting-solids/AN02145

Just a couple of articles on the subject.

You are correct about the age of six months for starting solid food..My bad ! :-) In my daughter's case, her principle nutrition was in fact breast milk, but food was sort of added in for interest...So she did not really have full on meals until well past 1 year old.

My wife did not breast feed her first child, and has said that breast feeding her second child has been an amazing bonding experience for her as a mother.

Boo. Five days of labor ?? Wow. My wife was in labor maybe 30 minutes. In fact it was so quick I have no birth photos !!! I thought they were taking her in the back for a more detailed examination, and the next thing I know the nurse comes out telling me I have a daughter..

Edited by EyesWideOpen

Bloody great news Dad!

if Mum and the wee man are all ok, get your head down and catch a few zzzz's. They can be in short supply.

Was a radio rigger for my sins when my little girl was born. Was not uncommon to get to work (knackered), climb a tower and tie myself off, ready to work, only to be woken up an hour or so later because the wind had got up and was bashing me against the tower!

Me and other TV members will be raising a glass for you and the new family.