Phuket Beach Safety: Russian man drowns in 5 minutes

webfact

Phuket Beach Safety: Man drowns in 5 minutes
Phuket Gazette

phuketnews_The_man_believed_to_have_been
The man, believed to have been a Russian tourist, ignored lifeguards’ warnings and signs and swam in the deadly water. Photo: Kritsada Mueanhawong

PHUKET: -- A man believed to be a Russian tourist ignored lifeguards’ warnings and entered the surf at Karon Beach yesterday afternoon – and drowned within five minutes, the Phuket Gazette has been told.

Uten Singsom, head of the Kata-Karon Lifeguard Club, said that his lifeguards took 20 minutes to recover the man from the strong surf.

“He came to the beach alone at about 4pm and ignored the red flags posted on the beach near Karon Circle [map here],” said Mr Uten.

“Lifeguards warned him not to swim there as it was exactly where we posted the red warning flags,” he added.

The man was spotted in difficulty less than five minutes later, as a rip current pulled him away from shore while he was pummeled by strong waves, Mr Uten explained.

“We spent about 20 minutes trying to reach him, but it was already too late by the time we got him back to shore,” Mr Uten said.

The man’s body was sent to Vachira Phuket Hospital in Phuket Town.

“We could not identify him. However, we believe he was a tourist, likely Russian, about 30 to 40 years old,” Mr Uten said.

Capt Channarong Prakongkua of the Karon Police told the Gazette that his officers had yet to confirm the man’s identity.

“Police have informed hotels in the Karon area to report to us if any of their guests are missing,” he said.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/Phuket-Beach-Safety-Man-drowns-in-5-minutes-21725.html

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2013-07-23

Alcohol plays massively in these situations.

Similar situation happened at Kata last year, I got the Russian guy, who was/is a really big guy onto my surfboard when I realized one reason the guy was drowning is he was just so drunk........

Sailed the guy onto a wave and in, when he beached his two friends also completely drunk were rolling around laughing. The guy almost died like this guy here.

• Like 1

Can anybody translate the Russian wording on the warning sign? Hopefully it does actually translate correctly and isn't bad ThaiRussian that implies the opposite through bad grammar or something.

And also, does that sign with the raised arm automatically imply "no swimming". It could imply that swimming is allowed, or that a lifeguard is on duty.

Traditionally a "no swimming" sign would have the classic red circle with a 45 degree bar through it.

post-124914-0-84018900-1374553194_thumb.

• Like 1

Tourist drowns in Phuket after warning not to swim
Tanyaluk Sakoot

PHUKET: -- A tourist believed to be Russian drowned off Karon beach yesterday afternoon (July 22). Lifeguards said they had already warned him not to go into the water, but he had ignored them.

After he was knocked over by a large wave, the lifeguards went in to try to help him out but he died before they were able to reach him.

The lifeguards said they had warned him not to go into the water not once, but twice, but still he went alone into the sea. His body, retrieved, was sent to Vachira Phuket Hospital.

Karon police are visiting hotels trying to identify the man. He brought no possessions to the beach with him apart from a bottle of water. Lifeguards said they thought from his accent that he was Russian.

Karon Beach Chief Lifeguard Uten Singsom told The Phuket News, “We have to be on high alert this week because the weather is pushing the waves to greater heights.

“I am very sad that the tourist drowned after we warned him, and set out warning signs and red flag. It makes no sense to go into dangerous waters.”

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/tourist-drowns-in-phuket-after-warning-not-to-swim-40957.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2013-07-23

RIP to the Russian man.

Very sad indeed.

I constantly remind the lifeguards at Nai Harn it can only take 1 or 2 minutes for someone to get in serious trouble. They have been doing a very good job of keeping people out of the water when it's obviously dangerous.

Can anybody translate the Russian wording on the warning sign? Hopefully it does actually translate correctly and isn't bad ThaiRussian that implies the opposite through bad grammar or something.

And also, does that sign with the raised arm automatically imply "no swimming". It could imply that swimming is allowed, or that a lifeguard is on duty.

Traditionally a "no swimming" sign would have the classic red circle with a 45 degree bar through it.

attachicon.gifswim.jpg

Your sign and add the scull and crossbones , maybe that would work.?

Same thing happened to me up at Bang Tao , I helped a lifeguard bring in a big Ukrainian guy who was told twice not to swim . He said spaciba and Here is the best part 5 minutes after we got him in the guy goes a little farther down the beach and , right back in ! He floundered around a little until the lifeguard made him get out and he was angry he couldnt swim . I bet we saved his life that day twice !

hub of deadly water, jet ski scams, tuk tuk maffia, taxi scam, dangerous hotel rooms, deadly cocktails, rapes & murder

anyone ?

nice safe family destination, only 100 million baht for TAT to promote that in international brochures

No sympathy for the man himself although it's sad that a life should be thrown away in such an irresponsible manner. However, condolences are due to his family who will be left with the consequences of his recklessness for the rest of their lives.

• Like 1

At Belg,and your country is all good?This man went into the water after being warned not to,he still went in and payed for it with his life.

How can you blame Thailand for this?

It is always sad to see loss of life for apparently no reason but it happens and in this case the drowned man will leave people behind who have to deal with it.

hub of deadly water, jet ski scams, tuk tuk maffia, taxi scam, dangerous hotel rooms, deadly cocktails, rapes & murder

anyone ?

nice safe family destination, only 100 million baht for TAT to promote that in international brochures

I don't see the point of your post??? The guy was warned not to swim and did anyway. Not sure how that ties into jet ski scams or Tuk-tuk Mafia.

Edited by LivinginKata
insult to another member removed
  • Like 1

anyone ?

And the relevance to this particular topic is......?

attachicon.gifswim.jpg

The Russian wording on the warning sign corresponds to the text in English and is clearly written. Somehow I doubt this guy bothered to read it at all and even if he did, he didn't care.

RIP

attachicon.gifswim.jpg

The Russian wording on the warning sign corresponds to the text in English and is clearly written. Somehow I doubt this guy bothered to read it at all and even if he did, he didn't care.

RIP

Thanks for the translation. Yeah, you can't legislate against stupidity, or put up enough signs when people are too dumb to follow them. As Forrest's Momma used to say, "stoopid is as stoopid does".

Edited by Gsxrnz

Why don't they finally hire some people and post them there to keep people from entering the water????

Because that would only cause confrontation then you have two problems.

Drunks fighting and/or drunks drowning. Certainly a no win situation.

Can some of the locals post a photo of whats called a large wave in Phuket please? Because I have not seen any . If I had my duck feet with me I would make a trip down there.

What you have here is very inexperienced tourists in a strong afternoon rip. I use the term to include all outbound and side ways water movement (not just the texbook rip diagram )

With the wave/swell direction from the South going into the Phuket bays at an even a slight angle , the water is then forced back out at the Northern part of the bay. Even an experienced swimmer/body surfer with fins might choose to just ride it out.

Edited by morrobay

Can some of the locals post a photo of whats called a large wave in Phuket please? Because I have not seen any . If I had my duck feet with me I would make a trip down there.

What you have here is very inexperienced tourists in a strong afternoon rip. I use the term to include all outbound and side ways water movement (not just the texbook rip diagram )

With the wave/swell direction from the South going into the Phuket bays at an even a slight angle , the water is then forced back out at the Northern part of the bay. Even an experienced swimmer/body surfer with fins might choose to just ride it out.

You were very correct until you mentioned 'waves/swell from the South'.

Edited by stevenl