Wearing insect-repellant and long-sleeved shirts ...

MrWorldwide

I suspect that many of us have wandered all over various tropical regions wearning nothing more than a t-shirt, shorts and comfortable shoes. I lived in Queensland for many years - a solid chunk of that in regions notorious for Ross River Fever and some dengue outbreaks - and I guess I've been lucky in Asia, particularly when I've stayed in hotels next to various rivers. Dont recall seeing a single mossie net over the beds in those hotels either.

Just wondering if other AKers take the relevant precautions (esp out in the provinces), or if my happy-go-lucky attitude is the exception ? Worked with a guy who got Ross River, and it wasnt pretty to see such a young man reduced to a succession of days off work and a significantly lower capacity for sustained concentration even 12 months on from his initial infection. It may not be such a big deal in urban areas in Asia, but the guy in question lived on the Brisbane River just a few km from the CBD .... :(

Well, I just dress comfortably for the weather, which obviously rules out long sleeves etc. I think pretty much everyone who lives in this part of the world full time does likewise. One can put up with uncomfortable precautions for only so long...

But I should add that I have had dengue 3 times (over >20 year period) so mine might not be the example you wish to emulate.biggrin.png

Sheryl, it was great right up until I read that last sentence :D

I also read somewhere that contracting dengue will give you immunity to that strain, but not to the strains carried by other mosquitoes. I guess it's just nature getting even, but it makes me wonder how Thai kids make it puberty.

Bear in mind that the overwhelming majority of dengue infections are not the dangerous hemorrhagic type. (None of mine were). "Simple" dengue does not carry any mortality risk though it can be very, very unpleasant ("won't kill you but you'll wish it would", as they say).

I ALWAYS have a can of OFF spray in my truck and in the house.

I have found that many of the shops in my area are "infested" with mosquitoes. Before I go inside I make sure I have spray applied to my legs, feet and arms.biggrin.png

post-32989-0-37193500-1374864178_thumb.j

I dont know about Thailand, but the mozzies here in Oz seem to target my neck and ears - I have visions of sitting in a restaurant in Hua Hin wearing a beekeeper's mask ....

The other observation I would make about insect repellants is that I dont know anyone who would go looking for live covered in such a 'distinctive' aroma, but I doubt that anyone writhing in the grip of a mosquito-borne disease would find either of my protestations particularly valid. Given that I'm also one of those sad types who finds themselves brushing their teeth with the local water ('Aaah, shit ....') each and every time I go to Asia, I have been extremely lucky to date and that luck is bound to run out. One case of food poisoning (thanks Cambo ..) and a few thousand hangovers - atm, I'm calling it the 'Charlie Sheen effect' : God favors fools and drunks :D