Indonesian engineer busted at Suvarnabhumi with 15m baht of crystal meth

webfact

Indonesian engineer busted for smuggling crystal meth worth THB15 million
By Coconuts Bangkok

BANGKOK: -- A 50-year-old Indonesian electrical engineer was arrested yesterday at Suvarnabhumi Airport for smuggling crystal meth worth THB15 million into the Kingdom.

Immigration Police detained Yan Pieter Yembise after receiving a tip-off that he would carry the drug from New Delhi, India to Bangkok.

Authorities found 4.3 kilograms of crystal meth in his possession. The substance was wrapped in a black plastic bag and stuffed in a secret compartment of his Louis Vuitton baggage.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2013/07/24/indonesian-engineer-busted-smuggling-crystal-meth-worth-thb15-million

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2013-07-24

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Former engineer...... These stories confuse me. I thought crystal meth

was made at labs in Northern Thailand and in Burma, and then smuggled

OUT of Thailand. Have the Indian labs somehow undercut the local labs ??

Hard to believe with the cost of production so low relative to the sales

price.

• Like 2

price.

Iran is one of the biggest producers of Ice after Mexico and it is a lot cheaper than Burmese or Lao Ice! Actually Thailand is a huge Ice consumer and only a little gets shipped out.

Indonesian arrested in Bangkok on drugs charges

BANGKOK, July 24, 2013 (AFP) - An Indonesian man has been arrested at Bangkok's main airport with crystal methamphetamine worth an estimated $500,000, Thai authorities said on Wednesday.

The 50-year-old was stopped at customs on Tuesday evening at Suvarnabhumi Airport after arriving from India.

Officials found 4.3 kilos (9.5 pounds) of methamphetamine hydrochloride, whose street name is "Ice", in a special compartment of his luggage.

The drugs were destined to be sold in Thailand, said Paisal Chuenjit, director of the Customs Department's Investigation and Suppression Bureau.

"We arrested him based on a tip-off and intelligence," he told AFP.

The suspect confessed to the charges and told officials that he was asked by an Indonesian woman to bring the baggage from Delhi to a hotel in central Bangkok, officials said.

If convicted he could in theory face the death sentence although Thailand has not executed anyone since 2009.

Thailand, along with other countries in the region, has seen a marked increase in seizures of methamphetamine, particularly from Myanmar.

afplogo.jpg
-- (c) Copyright AFP 2013-07-24

price.

Hey the dude is Indian what do you expect facepalm.gif

• Like 1

price.

Iran is one of the biggest producers of Ice after Mexico and it is a lot cheaper than Burmese or Lao Ice! Actually Thailand is a huge Ice consumer and only a little gets shipped out.

Most ice is produced in Myanmar's Shan State because it is such a lawless area with restricted access for outsiders. Thailand and Laos are completely accessible and there is more scrutiny and law enforcement towards producing it in these two countries. I agree that most Burmese meth ends up and stays in Thailand. Iran and Afghanistan are two other lawless countries where the production of meth is quite advanced, not to mention heroin.

Well I don't know anything about drugs, but if cost of production in India is anything to go by, yes India does produce most goods more cheaply than Thailand due to having a much larger market, thus resulting in larger economies of scale and as India is poorer than Thailand and wages are lower, the final price the consumer pays is lower.

Anyway, when it comes to carrying drugs across borders, it doesn't matter where they are produced, there is always a reason behind a shipment from say New Delhi to Bangkok, which is a very common route for smugglers. Lots of people have attempted to smuggle drugs into Thailand, just as many as have tried to smuggle them out - similarly smugglers attempt to smuggle drugs out of Cambodia, Vietnam and Singapore even when they know the serious consequences for doing so. Aussies have been caught smuggling drugs from Australia to Bali - and an Australian was caught in Bali for smuggling drugs from New Delhi via Bangkok to Bali (as there are no direct flights between India and Bali). The origin of the drugs is irrelevant.

Why not execute him and make an example out of him, this is what you get if you smuggle drugs to Thailand ! Mind you some ppl are just so greedy it will probobly still happen !!

I've heard that Cambodia also produces a substantial amount.

China mostly produces the precursor (usually pseudoephedrine) and exports tons to other countries.

In fact, most of the big producing countries gets their raw-materials from China.

Also, if you're able to find a source where you can buy it in bulk, it doesn't really matter where you can get it from. You'll be able to make a handsome profit after cutting it and selling to end users, wherever that may be.

Edited by Mole

Why not execute him and make an example out of him, this is what you get if you smuggle drugs to Thailand ! Mind you some ppl are just so greedy it will probobly still happen !!

Thailand has not carried out a judicial execution for ten years. I understand executions are on hold until 2019 when it will be decided on whether to abolish the death sentance & replace with up to life in prison, without parole

Edited by simple1

You need to ask yourself what kind of person wants to see another man executed?

Right?

Especially since he ended the sentence by pointing out the futility of capital punishment.

A little bit of critical thinking goes a long way, kids.

price.

Quality, Pricing and Distribution.

Shall i go on?

Because it would make no difference, the death penalty does not work as a deterrent. Plus murder is murder no matter who carries it out and that includes the state.

I look at the death penality a little differently. Whether it is a deterrent or not it is definately punishment for the crime commited.

When they flip him in the police office and get him to finger his connection, and then bust the higher connection and on up the chain, then we can take these Thais seriously. Until then this is just another petty mule bust.

• Like 1

Immigration Police detained Yan Pieter Yembise after receiving a tip-off that...

What would they do without tip-offs? biggrin.png

Maybe catch the real carriers instead of the lightly loaded mules..??

As Indonesia is a Muslim nation, this could be considered terrorism - carrying a poison substances that will help destroy a non-muslim nation. Rather why so much Opium is grown in Afghanistan and Iran - to destroy non-muslims.

Because it would make no difference, the death penalty does not work as a deterrent. Plus murder is murder no matter who carries it out and that includes the state.

I look at the death penality a little differently. Whether it is a deterrent or not it is definately punishment for the crime commited.
We obviously have different views here. For myself the death penalty is never justified. It may satisfy a need for retribution and I can see why people argue that in some cases it may be viewed as justifiable. However I feel that it does not matter why someone is put to death or who decides it is right, it is vengeance not justice. Edited by Bluespunk

Immigration Police detained Yan Pieter Yembise after receiving a tip-off that...

What would they do without tip-offs? biggrin.png

Maybe catch the real carriers instead of the lightly loaded mules..??

As Indonesia is a Muslim nation, this could be considered terrorism - carrying a poison substances that will help destroy a non-muslim nation. Rather why so much Opium is grown in Afghanistan and Iran - to destroy non-muslims.

Satire?

The very highest grade of Crystal Meth comes from Mr Heisenberg...AKA Walter White, so far no one has been able to match that quality.

Its just a pity about the labor problems he had with his last employer. Just got to wish him the best in August

You need to ask yourself what kind of person wants to see another man executed?

A mental Neanderthal?

• Like 1

If you're ever accused, or had something planted on you, or its your family member; does that speedy 'no questions asked' execution still apply? ..Didn't think so...

At least you share the same feelings with a little square faced Chinese guy who resides in Dubai...killing people over accusations of homemade dope that didn't make it to court.

Edited by gemini81
  • Like 1

Crystal meth is bad. How much worse is it than the one recreational drug which causes more harm than all others? I refer, of course, to fermented sugar drinks, otherwise known as alcohol.

Before the 'justify alcohol' crowd pipes up in defense of beer and whiskey, just know that more deaths are caused by pharma drugs than all illegal drugs combined. Not sure how the numbers stack up, comparing alcohol and pharma. Which causes more harm? Regardless, each category, individually, causes more cumulative harm than all illegal drugs combined.

Edited by boomerangutang
  • Like 1

Some Thai bars I go to in CM.

I look at their eyes and I begin to wonder if anyone in the bar, except me, isn't taking yaa ice.

Freaks me out!

You must have a great nose for different kind of drugs.

I can look at people and say "he's probably on something" but not pin it down to the specific poison.

What do people with meth eyes look like? tongue.png