Crazy Witness requirement for 1 year extension Korat

In January Phibun immigration requested that, when they paid their house call, to have our landlord and a neighbour present, if possible, and with copies of their ID's.

They stayed with us while the lady had her chat with me and my wife but they weren't asked any probing questions to determine whether or not we were genuine; they just joined in the general conversation! All very friendly and polite.

I should point out that we were applying for a marriage extension after years of going the retirement path.

He does not need more than someone to provide witness to his living as husband and wife at the stated location. It has nothing to do with being legally married which he must be to obtain the requested extension of stay and has nothing to do with any bribes. It is a standard test of relationship for many making applications upcountry, and for most not a major hurdle. For poster it appears being a new resident his wife has not made acquaintance of neighbors so asking an official to help would seem to make sense - not that he requires help.