Rifts see Thailand squander its advantages ahead of AEC

webfact

I was waiting for them to name the advantages

----------------

Just for one advantage ...... geography.

Thailand is centrally located among the area of AEC members.

Now if Thailand were to make wise use of that geographical location it could take advantage of its location by building a first class transportation network (including rail transportation) for the transportation of goods across Thailand by other AEC members. That would be a profitable business for Thai companies to follow.

But note carefully the terms I used here in this post.

I said "wise use" and "first class transportation network".

I. personally. don't think such a thing will come about in Thailand, at least not without some hard decisions being made by the government.

But you asked for an advantage Thailand has in the AEC ..... and there's no doubt that Thailand does have an advantage in it's geographical location..

Edited by IMA_FARANG
  • Like 1

----------------

Now if Thailand were to make wise use of that geographical location it could take advantage of its location by building a first class transportation network (including rail transportation) for the transportation of goods across Thailand by other AEC members. That would be a profitable business for Thai companies to follow.

I. personally. don't think such a thing will come about in Thailand, at least not without some hard decisions being made by the government.

But you asked for an advantage Thailand has in the AEC ..... and there's no doubt that Thailand does have an advantage in it's geographical location..

You are right in the point that geography could be an advantage. However, in LOS it turns into a 3rd class advantage. Way behind the personal advantages and gains of too many incompetend people in charge.

I don't see Thailand as every really joining the AEC. It is just too stuck on itself. It would have to dump a lot of obstructions that it considers sacred. I think it will continue to see itself as The Hub, and get bypassed.

• Like 2

The writer says that there "seems" to a lack of Thai preparation. That's Thai style. Also the writer states that Thais have "squandered' opportunity. Another Thai characteristic.

But by then Thailand will be the hub of all hubs. This is the HUB OF STUPIDITY.

----------------

Which has absolutely NOTHING to do with the political slant that the article puts on the issue. As for geographic advantages, it has some, but whenever Burma gets around to building it's deep sea port which isn't likely to be at Dawei, then the gerographical benefits drop massively because sea shipping will be quicker from that side of the region. Most large container shipping has to be transhipped in Singapore anyway. I wouldn't overplay the instant benefits of being a transport hub in Thailand. We just had a train drop off the line at 40km/h and have just found out that half the tour buses are built illegally. As for the roads, well, there are some good one's, but an awful lot of shocking one's too.

THailand has an advantage as a thouroughfare for Chinese goods. That's not going to bring enormous direct benfits to Thailand.

Both are great arguments. Burma is a major contender to gain growth in 2015. But again this depends on how Burma structures it's foriegn investment plans and how much it will gain in losing it's nationalism. Thailand as well is crippled by it's nationalistic mind set. This could be great for business and growth and quite devastating for all the different cultures in SEA. SEA will have a very different landscape after 2015.

It's hard to predict what lies in store for the more than 60 million Thais as long as the Kingdom is prevented from moving forward by a small group of self-centred people, who insist on campaigning for their own interests.

whistling.gif

Mark-Twain-Fun-Politics-Quotes56.jpg

I don't see Thailand as every really joining the AEC. It is just too stuck on itself. It would have to dump a lot of obstructions that it considers sacred. I think it will continue to see itself as The Hub, and get bypassed.

This place is going to crash, and they will have no-one to blame but themselves. There is no way they are going to give workers from adjacent countries the opportunity to work here, since this would make the thai inadequacies blatantly obvious. They live in their own little safety buffer, thinking they are the center of the world, yet they can,t even tell you where America (or even Thailand) is on a world map. The word "ostriches" comes to mind.

• Like 1

Sadly, the entire business ethics of Thailand, with its monopolies, cartels, isolationism and screwing any foreign partner, just doesn't fit in with the concept of free-trade and fair competition. The idea of a "level playing field" is just beyond their comprehension.

So True ! All of it...

Regarding Thailands preparedness for AEC in 2016, some interesting points raised by Chaschat Sittipunt - Transport Minister on Thailands current rankings. He also claimed that Thailand had lost 1.7 trillon baht in lost opportunities and other costs in the past ten years, that is nearly equal to Thailand's annual government spending budget

Regional competiveness ranking for infrastucture (global ranking):

Singapore - ranked 2nd worldwide

Malaysia - ranked 29th worldwide

Thailand - ranked 49th worldwide

In the past two years:

Rail - declined to 65th, from 57th

Roads - declined to 39th, from 36th

Ports - declined to 56th, from 43th

Airports - declined to 33rd, from 28th

Foreign direct investment:

Fourth in Asean, last year Malaysia attracted US$10 billion, 17% more than Thailand

Edited by simple1
  • Like 1

Take away the beaches, prostitution and cheap labor and Thailand resides at the arse end of Asia.....almost like a Nigeria - a land of no tomorrows. As for location there are 3 "newies" in the same locale and powering forward ie: Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia. They offer beaches & cheap labor + English language skills for cross-border business. Thailand is safe with its prostitution industry. None of the others have a wish to compete.

• Like 1

As part-Thai I can say that the 3 biggest disadvantages for Thailand come 2015 and the AEC are :

- Thai's are easily offended and so often cannot see the wood from trees. Saving face is more important than saving money or even saving lives,

- Poorest English language skills in Asia. Easier to take on Burmese migrants or Cambodians who speak better English than my countrymen.

- Deeply ingrained corruption at all levels of our society. Business must pay tea money for every little thing. shame.

None of our AEC partners carry all 3 baggage-classes; maybe one or at the max two.

• Like 1