Surayud calls for unity among Thais

Lite Beer

Surayud calls for unity among Thais

BANGKOK, 26 July 2013 (NNT) – Privy Councilor Surayud Chulanont has called for unity among Thais, while denying allegations that he is backing up the anti-Thaksin Pitak Siam Group, which plans to rally next month.

According to the Privy Councilor, he does not want to see any conflicts arising and calls for unity among all groups, especially the anti-government Pitak Siam Group, which will stage a rally against the government on August 4th.

He said as long as the rally causes no harm to anybody and is under the laws and democracy, the group is entitled to do so. However, Mr. Surayud denied rumors that he is the one pulling the strings behind the group's planned rally.

The Privy Councilor also declined to comment on former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra becoming an adviser to the Office of the Crown Property Bureau.

The possibility of Thaksin becoming an adviser was mentioned in the infamous audio clip between him and Deputy Defence Minister Yuthasak Sasiprapha.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2013-07-26 footer_n.gif

Privy Councilor Surayud Chulanont has received support for his call for unity from an unexpected corner:

"RT@MimiSawitta: Thaksin Shinawatra, in a YouTube message posted by his son Oak, says: "It doesn't matter when I come home, I just want Thais to reconcile".."

Thailand Live Friday 26 July, #24

I'm not sure what Surayud means here.Is he calling for unity among all Thais or unity among the proto fascists like Pitak Siam? I assume the former.

In any event who cares? Surayud is yesterday's man, a charming and decent old codger certainly.However his quisling administration after the criminal coup d'état was noted for its lethargy and sheer incompetence.

• Like 2

I'm not sure what Surayud means here.Is he calling for unity among all Thais or unity among the proto fascists like Pitak Siam? I assume the former.

In any event who cares? Surayud is yesterday's man, a charming and decent old codger certainly.However his quisling administration after the criminal coup d'état was noted for its lethargy and sheer incompetence.

I take these calls to unity to be a siren cry of, please don't fight the army if they come out. We don't want to be on global television having a nationwide civil war. How the up country areas would react to a coup this time around, I don't want to say, but it won't be flowers and wais this time around.

• Like 1

I take these calls to unity to be a siren cry of, please don't fight the army if they come out. We don't want to be on global television having a nationwide civil war. How the up country areas would react to a coup this time around, I don't want to say, but it won't be flowers and wais this time around.

I agree with you.Even taking into account the extreme stupidity of many of those calling for a coup, the sharper minds among the old unelected elites know it could be bloody and counter productive.Therefore their favoured method of dislodging the Yingluck Government is to mobilise the courts.But even then I'm not sure even the intelligent end of the amart has fully thought through what happens next - specifically the next general election.Meanwhile the clock is ticking and in the near future all bets will be off.Cool heads will be needed on both sides of the political divide.

Edited by jayboy

I agree with you.Even taking into account the extreme stupidity of many of those calling for a coup, the sharper minds among the old unelected elites know it could be bloody and counter productive.Therefore their favoured method of dislodging the Yingluck Government is to mobilise the courts.But even then I'm not sure even the intelligent end of the amart has fully thought through what happens next - specifically the next general election.Meanwhile the clock is ticking and in the near future all bets will be off.Cool heads will be needed on both sides of the political divide.

The problem is, these so called "old heads" know only one way and that is a coup. The reds burnt down some pretty big buildings before, and the army was poised to go (I know this for a fact), but what held them back was fear either that the soldiers wouldn't fight, or that they would get lynched. Thing is, they don't care. They really believe that to intervene, despite them portraying it as "saving the country", is their moral right and duty, without them ever considering that their infernal meddling is the reason that the dam_n system is as screwed up as it is.

Did you read Voranij in the other paper today? You think he makes this stuff up all on his own?

Edited by Thai at Heart

... and while some wonder what was meant when the Privy Counsilar Surayud called for unity amongst Thais, it is obvious what k. Thaksin means when he says he wants Thai to reconcile rolleyes.gif

In any event who cares, just another 64 year old has-been criminal fugitive, Thaksin that is, not k. Surayud who as PM even apologized for some of the atrocities which happened under a former PM.

All this of course just to show that reconciliation when people have different memories and different ideas, is something which needs more than just a political party pushing for an amnesty bill others don't want. Reconciliation needs all sides to co-operate. IMHOwai.gif

• Like 2

the coup wasn't criminal-->see constitution.

Privy Councilor Surayud Chulanont has received support for his call for unity from an unexpected corner:

"RT@MimiSawitta: Thaksin Shinawatra, in a YouTube message posted by his son Oak, says: "It doesn't matter when I come home, I just want Thais to reconcile".."

You can only tell when he is lying when you hear his voice or his mouth is moving.

The Privy Councilor also declined to comment on former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra becoming an adviser to the Office of the Crown Property Bureau.

Convicted of using a public office for personal gain, on the lam to avoid prison, threatened to spend money at arms dealers to make life miserable in his beloved home country, it is of course natural to make such a man an "adviser" to a government bureau. I predict that if it happens, the government will fall, surely the constitutional court could not condone this.

Talks cheap show us stop breathing for a day or two.wai.gif

Then Thai unity has a chance. How can they expect unity when 52% of the voting population don't want them and they refuse to listen to any proposal to bring unity. They have two reasons for being in power

1 To white wash Thaksin and

2 To scam as much public money as they can.

To date they have just about cleaned the coffers out and are looking for a 2.2 Trillion baht loan to further there wealth. rumor has it that after they use enough money to cover up their rice scam and get there cut there will be enough money left over to put into the infrastructure of repaving Yingluck's driveway. sad.png

And the people can pay this off in the course of the next 50 years.

The problem is, these so called "old heads" know only one way and that is a coup. The reds burnt down some pretty big buildings before, and the army was poised to go (I know this for a fact), but what held them back was fear either that the soldiers wouldn't fight, or that they would get lynched. Thing is, they don't care. They really believe that to intervene, despite them portraying it as "saving the country", is their moral right and duty, without them ever considering that their infernal meddling is the reason that the dam_n system is as screwed up as it is.

Did you read Voranij in the other paper today? You think he makes this stuff up all on his own?

Well you have some good points problem is they are based on opinion.

The odds are that we would be in a dictatorship if the Army had not have stepped in. Remember at the time the Army stepped in Thaksin had no legal reason to be in charge. he was just assuming that his word was it. The same as any other dictator.

Yes Thailand is in a heck of a mess now and Thaksin has no official power yet he still runs the country. Are you sure things wouldn't have been a lot worse under his dictatorship. I think bad as they are now they would have been far worse. Yes that is my opinion.

Well you have some good points problem is they are based on opinion.

The odds are that we would be in a dictatorship if the Army had not have stepped in. Remember at the time the Army stepped in Thaksin had no legal reason to be in charge. he was just assuming that his word was it. The same as any other dictator.

Yes Thailand is in a heck of a mess now and Thaksin has no official power yet he still runs the country. Are you sure things wouldn't have been a lot worse under his dictatorship. I think bad as they are now they would have been far worse. Yes that is my opinion.

It's chickens and eggs. The army has run the country at least as long as politicians. Something has to give.

The weak system has been bending to the whim of the powerful on all sides for a long time.

That is not what I said. I said it would be run by a dictator not the Army or politicians. The man has no legal authority now he is a convicted criminal on the run from the law and still Is dictating to the existing government what to do.

Can you imagine 7 years under that kind of a man.

I have only been here 7 years and the Army only ran it for 1 year. I know it is superficially popular to say the Army ran it when the Dems were in power. But when you look at the realities of those years you see they did not have enough support to do the Army's bidding. They were far to depended on other parties to just ignore them.

An ex Thai Army General appointed prime minister by coup leaders , calling for unity ? This is a sick joke .

If you think that's funny, try the one about the corrupt ex-PM calling for reconciliation (after he gets off all charges and they return "his" stolen money)

Edited by OzMick

... and while some wonder what was meant when the Privy Counsilar Surayud called for unity amongst Thais, it is obvious what k. Thaksin means when he says he wants Thai to reconcile rolleyes.gif

In any event who cares, just another 64 year old has-been criminal fugitive, Thaksin that is, not k. Surayud who as PM even apologized for some of the atrocities which happened under a former PM.

All this of course just to show that reconciliation when people have different memories and different ideas, is something which needs more than just a political party pushing for an amnesty bill others don't want. Reconciliation needs all sides to co-operate. IMHOwai.gif

Er what is this thread about? I thought it was about Surayud but suddenly it's all about Thaksin, the standard response apparently when there is any criticism of the reactionary right (though in this case rather light and friendly given Surayud's basic decency).

But actually it does matter what Surayud means.I am almost certain he means unity among all classes of Thais not just the proto fascists like Pitak Siam and similar.THe problem I suspect in this report lies not with Surayud but the slovenly journalism of The Nation.

• Like 1

Er what is this thread about? I thought it was about Surayud but suddenly it's all about Thaksin, the standard response apparently when there is any criticism of the reactionary right (though in this case rather light and friendly given Surayud's basic decency).

But actually it does matter what Surayud means.I am almost certain he means unity among all classes of Thais not just the proto fascists like Pitak Siam and similar.THe problem I suspect in this report lies not with Surayud but the slovenly journalism of The Nation.

My dear jBoy, did you read what I wrote? I was just referring to the (may I call it) fact that whenever someone you may not like is quoted you tend to interpret negatively, cast doubt on honestly, etc., etc.

The very fact that you 'wonder' if k. Surayud meant 'pitak siam' when saying 'unity amongst Thai', even if you then dismis it as 'assume not' already implies a lot of your point of view. To describe my comment as 'standard reaction on critisism of the reactionary right' is just the 'no meaning' catchphrase which is so common in certain academic circles it would seem. 'amart' and 'unelected elites' is also so meaningless after all the discussions of the last few years. Unless you want to refer to our dear criminal fugitive billionair why is not elected but skypes-in to tell how his country should be run. Of course that's not reactionair, just totally morally wrong.

I'm sure k. Surayud meant 'unity amongst Thai' with Thai being the Thai people. That includes not only the 'proto fascists' but also the 'democracy loving ones' and even red, yellow shirts and white or red masked groups. IMHO

My dear jBoy, did you read what I wrote? I was just referring to the (may I call it) fact that whenever someone you may not like is quoted you tend to interpret negatively, cast doubt on honestly, etc., etc.

The very fact that you 'wonder' if k. Surayud meant 'pitak siam' when saying 'unity amongst Thai', even if you then dismis it as 'assume not' already implies a lot of your point of view. To describe my comment as 'standard reaction on critisism of the reactionary right' is just the 'no meaning' catchphrase which is so common in certain academic circles it would seem. 'amart' and 'unelected elites' is also so meaningless after all the discussions of the last few years. Unless you want to refer to our dear criminal fugitive billionair why is not elected but skypes-in to tell how his country should be run. Of course that's not reactionair, just totally morally wrong.

I'm sure k. Surayud meant 'unity amongst Thai' with Thai being the Thai people. That includes not only the 'proto fascists' but also the 'democracy loving ones' and even red, yellow shirts and white or red masked groups. IMHO

If you mean I point out ignorance, lack of logic and extremism.. then I must plead guilty.I may be acerbic but equally try to be accurate.

Did you read what I wrote? I was giving General Surayud, whom I rather like, the benefit of the doubt.I am almost completely sure his unity plea was to all Thais.

If you think "unlected elites" and "amart" have no meaning perhaps you should pay a little more attention to the realities of Thailand.In fact if you donr recognise oir understand these concepts, observations are likely to be meaningless.That's not a political point.Defending the amart is perfectly valid but simply absurd to maintain it doesn't exist.

Incidentally in the politest way possible may I suggest you slightly amend your posting style.I see what you are trying to aim at - a learned light and detached style but making one or two penetrating points.It works quite well for intelligent but waspish Oxbridge dons whose first language is English - not so well for those - to put it tactfully - less equipped.

How can Thai army general be a decent old codger?

What was his salary and what is his net worth.cheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--Zv.gif

He had a weekend home in the National Preserve for gods sake.

How low can you go?

What was his salary and what is his net worth.cheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--Zv.gif

How low can you go?

How about nicking 1000 rai from a temple land donation to make a country club for your elite mates?

How low can you go?

How about nicking 1000 rai from a temple land donation to make a country club for your elite mates?

Almost every senior army officer or senior civil servant has a net worth that is inexplicable in terms of salary received and/or inherited wealth.

Almost every senior army officer or senior civil servant has a net worth that is inexplicable in terms of salary received and/or inherited wealth.

Why not concentrate on a certain family whose wealth is easily explainable - by corrupt business deals, tax evasion, and conflict of interest deals carried out while in office?

How low can you go?

Yeah, it was bad, worse than what Surayud did - but not sure how Sanoh is really relevant to this thread.

Why not concentrate on a certain family whose wealth is easily explainable - by corrupt business deals, tax evasion, and conflict of interest deals carried out while in office?

Because it is as you say easily explainable (and also not relevant to this thread).I think you mean tax avoidance (legal) not evasion (illegal) if you are referring to the Temasek deal.

Another example of the usual suspects invoking Thaksin quite irrelevantly whenever discussion strays on to ground where they are uncomfortable (ie massive corruption in military and public sector)