cow farm

femi fan

My wife has just finished telling me what she saw on the tv yesterday about a cow farm somewhere in chiang mai where the thai owner has gone to great lengths to create happy grass-fed and grazing cows, thereby producing decent milk. She doesn't know whereabouts this farm is, nor if they pasteurise the milk. I suspect from her story that he sells the milk fresh and raw.

Anybody heard about this and where the farm is? I'd love to get up to see the farm for my own eyes and meet the farmer.

I didn't realize that Thailand had any non grass-fed, free range cows....

Well, according to the link from Khwaibah, it looks like Farm Chokchai, has plenty of non grass fed cows. In fact, virtually all of them once they start to lactate. Allthough the company does manage to be artfully obscure about what exactly they are feeding the cattle.

I think Fourmost is about the best milk available here, check the dates and get it as

fresh as possible, I buy 3 x 2 lire bottles every Friday from Makro, take some out of each

and put it in the freezer, (allows for expansion), and of course it stays fresh.

Some of the other milks here I believe are just made with imported powered milk ,mixed with

water and bottled. and for butter the best in IMHO is Orchid butter, all the others seem to have

a slight off taste to me

Regards Worgeordie.

Edited by worgeordie

Milk from only grass fed dairy cows will be difficult to find,most probably all over the world.Unless from biofarmers,but theire also supplement organic cereals,if you don't your cows end up to skinny.

Good milkers can loose a lot of wight during lactation if not fed well.

A cow fed with only grass from good pastures,produces not more then 15 max 20kg a day.Here in Thailand the grass is very poor.

There is no clover,very important for milk production,and you wont be able to grow cool climate grasses like ray grass,other important grass.

In the last 30 years or so the breeding in the diary industry has focused mainly if not only in improving the milk production,40-50 liter a day

from Frisian cows is the norm for Europe.If their go below there culled.

But to achieve the high production u got to put in the proteins that you want to come.

The milk here is low in fat and protein,so the big brands ad high fat powder milk to adjusted(somebody that worked for the diary industry here said that in the TV farm forum).

Like so many other foods milk has changed,it is not what we used to get when we where kids

• 5 weeks later...

So so far that's a no then!

It wasn't supposed to be a thread about milk, rather about a specific farm that i'd like to locate. In particular in case it is supplying raw milk.

Raw milk from the dairy at the top of Huay Keow Rd., opposite CM Zoo is 120bht for 5L in a plastic bag.

I use the pasteurised variety, thanks to your assistance, and makes great Greek Yoghurt. ฿140.00

There is a dairy farm in Saraphi too, although I can not remember exactly where it is. Maybe someone else knows and will post. We went there 2 or 3 times to get fresh milk to make yoghurt. That was about 5 years ago. They close up shop early. We went there once around 15:00 and they were all cleaned up and closing. Early morning is the time to go.