Songkran Water Festival Death Toll Continues To Rise

george

I also doubt that BKK Metrolopis has been casualty free for two days.

As usual , any figure you read or is published is questionable.

Bangkok will be virtually empty for Songkran.

Everyone heads for the provinces.

That is why it is so safe............ :o

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Motorcycles were involved in most road accidents, followed by pick-up trucks and passenger cars. Most accidents occurred during 4pm-8pm, a time frame of often heavier traffic combined with difficult or deceptive lighting at sundown.

Or NO lights on the vehicles, and not just at sundown.

It never ceases to amaze (and anger) me how many drivers here don't use their lights at night, and those who disconnect their tailights. What could possibly be the motivation, other than pure stupidity!!

Acting PM is unworried about the measures to control accidents during Songkran festival

Acting Prime Minister Chitchai Wannasathit (ชิดชัย วรรณสถิตย์) is not worried about the road accident preventive measures being implemented during this year’s Songkran festival. He indicated that the figures are still under control. However, he is concerned over certain drivers’ behaviors because they should not drive when they are drunk

Gen. Chitchai talked about the road accidents during the “10 dangerous days” period. He said there have been 68 deaths and 800 injuries during the 7th to the 8th of April. He said the authorities are still able to control the numbers of road accident victims.

However, he added that the most worrying issue is not about the measures. The main issue is that intoxicated drivers should not drive, as they are the main causes of road accidents. He said alcoholic beverages are prohibited to be sold in gas stations and all the convenient stores at this time.

The Acting Prime Minister also talked about the Cabinet meeting tomorrow. He stated that the meeting will discuss fuel issues, the increases of transportation prices, and problems concerning the interest rates.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 10 April 2006

Thailand's Songkran water festival death toll continues to rise

Thirty-four provinces, including Bangkok, have been casualty-free so far.

--TNA 2006-04-09

No casualties in 34 provinces, including Bangkok????

Thats strange I could have sworn I went to 5 accidents last night!?? Maybe it was a dream and thats why Im off to bed at 8am in the morning!? hmm????? :o

Snuff freak are you?

Sorry, Sunny10, but I think that is an inappropriate comment.

I am guessing of course, but giving the benefit of the doubt, we don't know what job Markokang has. It is entirely possible, in fact likely, that the poster is involved in the medical or emergency services.

I may be making a dangerous assumption ther, but the alternative is extremely unpleasant to consider.

I also agree that it is unlikely that Bangkok is accident free, despite the reduction in traffic.

To the poster who asked if perhaps the accidents were caused mainly by stupid motorcycle riders as the average driver tends to be motorcycle aware - I think you are probably correct.

After 10 years of driving in Thailand, I feel that there are a lot of very experienced drivers in the cities, but the motorcyclists are usually not well trained, and don't understand inertia etc.

There is a fatalist attitude that says "Well if I get hit, it's your fault Mr Car owner!" No concern about the fact that they might be dead, but at least it is not their fault... that does translate as a stupid attitude.

BANGKOK: -- Road accidents during the Thai traditional New Year "Songkran" holidays claimed 68 lives on Friday and Saturday, while the number of injured stood at 810, fewer than earlier projections, thanks to a 10-day annual media campaign aiming at reducing road fatalities.

Songkran, Thailand's traditional 'water festival', is a time of traditional festivity and celebration which is now characterised by long journeys back to hometowns and too much consumption of alcohol, in tandem with driving.

The long Songkran holiday is notorious for its high casualties from road accidents as a large number of Thais, particularly those who work in the capital, Bangkok, usually travel to reunite with their families upcountry to celebrate the water festival.

Caretaker Interior Minister Kongsak Wanthana, in his capacity as deputy director of Thailand's National Road Safety Centre, said Sunday that the number of deaths from road accidents on Saturday stood at 38, bringing the death toll in two days since Friday to 68, while the number of injuries reached 496 or 16 lower than projected. There were a total of 731 road accidents, including 445 accidents on Saturday.

Air Chief Marshal Kongsak said the leading causes of road accidents were driving while under the influence of alcohol, speeding and cutting in front of other vehicles.

Motorcycles were involved in most road accidents, followed by pick-up trucks and passenger cars. Most accidents occurred during 4pm-8pm, a time frame of often heavier traffic combined with difficult or deceptive lighting at sundown.

The northern province of Chiang Mai topped the death toll chart with the highest number of fatalities, with five during the first two days of the 10-day Songkran "crisis" period, followed by Chachoengsao with four fatalities; while Kanchanaburi, Phichit, Phetchaburi, Lop Buri and Si Sa Ket recorded three deaths each.

Thirty-four provinces, including Bangkok, have been casualty-free so far.

The Centre aims to reduce this year's death toll by at least 15 per cent.

--TNA 2006-04-09

One problem I see drivers in Thailand do often is use their high beams (bright lights) when they should not.

This past Saturday, while riding through a small farming village southeast of Chiang Rai I witnessed an accident of 2 trucks and two motorcycles. I was following one truck through the village as another vehicle was driving towards us with its high beams on. This persons high beams were extremely bright.

The next thing I know is I hear a crash and see the truck in front of me running over a motorcycle with two people on it. This motorcycle ended up on the side of the road with its two passengers struggling to get up afterwards.

I then noticed a 2nd motorcycle smoking on the side of the road with no passengers and its front wheel missing. I'm not sure who hit that motorcycle.

What I think happened was the car with the very bright high beams was trying to warn a motorcycle driver that was in his lane to get out of his way because he was comming through.

While doing this, the pickup truck in front of me, as well as myself, were blinded to traffic in our lane and thus, the pickup truck ran over the slower moving motorcycle.

This is not the first time a driver with high beams has blinded me but it is the first time I have seen an accident caused by it.

The message I think I am trying to convey is don't use your high beams as a warnnig to others when slowing down and using your brakes is much more effective.

Edited by richard10365

Snuff freak are you?

A rather "off" remark for a new poster to make. Many posters here have witnessed nasty fatalities first hand, and several that I know, vlounteer their services to non profit accident rescue services, and are on call several nights a week. Where ever you are, I trust you will never have need of them :o

Edited by Maejo Man

A couple of observations....

Yes the Thai traffic engineers certainly design roads that are a lot less safe than most western countries. But not intelligent? The infamous U-turn is used because it is cheaper than building the flyovers and bridges needed for a 2-way interchange on a dual carriageway road. I'm sure they are well aware of the safety aspects.

As for Song Khran death toll...some one asked what the norm was, and it reminded me that in the UK at Christmas, the road death/casualty figures are actually lower than usual. This being the result of a quarter of a century campaigning by successive govts. The main time in UK is the summer when people are tempted to drink after work in some beer garden before driving home in the twilight.

As for fast lane and slow lane ....they don't exist in UK...they have a very simple rule....stay in the right hand lane unless overtaking. This does not mean the middle lane or anywhere else but the right hand lane... all other lanes are for passing only! Contrary to popular belief undertaking is legal in the UK too! It just isn't usually necessary or justifiable - I.E. "due care and attention"...

In the UK one should actually stay in the LEFT hand lane except when overtaking!

BANGKOK: -- Road accidents during the Thai traditional New Year "Songkran" holidays claimed 68 lives on Friday and Saturday, while the number of injured stood at 810, fewer than earlier projections, thanks to a 10-day annual media campaign aiming at reducing road fatalities .......

Sorry guys, I don't get the joke. And I don't understand why Thailand seems to think it's a good idea to make it open season on drivers every year, encouraging kids to stand by the road and throw buckets of water (and worse) on them as they drive by.

I'm all for parties and holidays and celebrations and food fights and water fights and just about anything else people want to do when they get together to have fun. But Songkran these days is a long way from that. It's more like a week of government sponsored assault and battery.

In most places, somebody who threw a bucket of water on somebody would be given a ticket or arrested. And if the horseplay caused an accident or an injury, things would get serious.

As I said, I'm not a party pooper. I like to party, drink, and have a good time, and I enjoy it when other people are having a good time, too. But dodging kids throwing buckets of water at me all week is not my idea of a good time.

Am I all alone here, or is there anyone else who sees things the same way I do?

Cheers --

ericjt

Acting PM is unworried about the measures to control accidents during Songkran festival

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 10 April 2006

"Me fail English? That's unpossible."- Ralf Wiggums, The Simpsons.

Sorry guys, I don't get the joke. And I don't understand why Thailand seems to think it's a good idea to make it open season on drivers every year, encouraging kids to stand by the road and throw buckets of water (and worse) on them as they drive by.

You are absolutely right, that has nothing to do with songkran. Originally at songkran time people were splashing some drops of water at other with the hand from a bucket. Now it's exagerated, stupid and really not funny. Personally during songkran time I stay home.

I have seen what songkran was 15 years ago and then it was funny, not today. :o

Edited by Wallalai

You are absolutely right, that has nothing to do with songkran. Originally at songkran time people were splashing some drops of water at other with the hand from a bucket. Now it's exagerated, stupid and really not funny. Personally during songkran time I stay home.

I have seen what songkran was 15 years ago and then it was funny, not today. :o

=============================================================

I really don't see what all the fuss is all about. I also was here 15 years ago and I thought it was a lot of fum then and I think it is a lot of fun now. Gosh; if you don't like it, indeed, one always has that option to stay home.

Me; however; I get dressed for the occassion' my smokes & some dosh in a small plastic bag and off we go, with a whole bunch from my place of work. We walk (or take a pick-up) and go all through Pattaya. It amazes me, year-after-year, how people "just wanna have fun" and that's precisely what we have: good clean fun. We don't let a few silly people spoil it for the rest.

Believe me; I just love it when I see young and old, capable and idiot, firm and not so firm; all are having an absolute ball ! ! ! ! !

I am well aware of the true-spirit of this day and I have, on many occassions, washed my in-laws' feet and found that a very moving and humbling experience also. Take the best out of both and just "BE HAPPY"

Happy New Year ! !

:D

I really don't see what all the fuss is all about.

If getting a full 30l bucket of ice mixed with water or some dirty water on your face when riding your motorcycle, is fun for you then enjoy.

I also was here 15 years ago and I thought it was a lot of fum then and I think it is a lot of fun now. Gosh; if you don't like it, indeed, one always has that option to stay home.

I said already that during this period I prefer to stay home here in Thailand, so keep your advices for anybody else. I've already choosen.

We don't let a few silly people spoil it for the rest.

Interesting to see that people that don't share your views are categrized a silly one, thanks.

Happy songkran

Interesting to see that people that don't share your views are categrized a silly one, thanks.

Happy songkran

=================================================================

Dear Wallalai,

I think you mis-understood me when I wrote:

The people I was referring to, were those people throwing buckets of water, mixed with ice at motorcycle drivers and other silly behaviour. I don't think this "mis-behaviour" requires overstating: of course it's a stupid and dangerous thing to do.

In any event; I certainly was not referring to you, or other people like you (and I know quiet a few) who'ld much rather stay home on this chaotic day - and I fully respect that, okay ?

Sorry if you got the meaning of my words the wrong way 'round: no offence intended.

Sawasdee Phimai

:o

Songkran is such a Unique festival, not only for Thailand, but many people around the World look to Thailand during this Festival. Even Yahoo is featuring Ads with Pictures of Pretty Thai Girls shooting a Water Pistol during this Time.

Many people who can't be there, are wishing they were, all around the World. It is a Celebration that is hailed and respected by many around the world because it is so Unique and different, and if you have ever participated you know it is a Blast as well! :D:D

.... and many people who are here are wishing they weren't. This is my favourite time of year to get out of Thailand. A couple of hours of splashing water around would be fun, three (or more) days of it becomes a chore. Time to stock up on DVDs again :o

As I said, I'm not a party pooper. I like to party, drink, and have a good time, and I enjoy it when other people are having a good time, too. But dodging kids throwing buckets of water at me all week is not my idea of a good time.

Eric, would it have been good fun for you when you was a kid though ?

I don't know why so many Farangs moan about a Thai festival, Jesus h Christ, I bet that these people thought Songkran was great when they first came to Thailand and it was all new, they were amazed at this Festival and wondered why a festival like this could never take place back in their own countries.

Then they realise that its cos western people are not as fun loving, too miserable, too aggressive, and the weather is crap.

Then they move to this wonderful country where such festivals can take place with a smile and a laugh, after a year or two, they become older, more cynical, jaded, bitter and twisted, and wish Thailand was like the country they left before, apart from the women, and the weather and whatever else is beneficial to them personally.

It's like going to Pamplona to take part in The Running of the Bulls Festival, and moaning about cattle in the streets. :D

Just imagine you are young again, then you may just enjoy Songkran. :o

As for fast lane and slow lane ....they don't exist in UK...they have a very simple rule....stay in the right hand lane unless overtaking. This does not mean the middle lane or anywhere else but the right hand lane... all other lanes are for passing only!

For "right", read "left". :o

Contrary to popular belief undertaking is legal in the UK too! It just isn't usually necessary or justifiable - I.E. "due care and attention"...

Technically true, in the sense that the Highway Code isn't law itself. But the courts do take failure to observe the HC into account.

FWIW, the HC tells drivers to overtake only on the right, except: a. on one-way streets; b. when someone's waiting in the middle of the road to turn right; c. when traffic's moving slowly in queues and the queue to the right's moving more slowly. (Although I think they've now updated c. to take into account fast-moving, busy motorways like the M25 Orbital round London.)

For "right", read "left". :D Yes....typo error?!?!

As for undertaking on a motorway ... Yes the highway code as you point out is not the law. I've had experience of this albeit years ago and it was admitted that I had broken no law. If I had been charged with anything ity would have been "driving without due care and attention".

Off topic anyway......

Edited by wilko

Interior Minister is confident Songkran road toll will be lower than last year's

Interior Minister Kongsak Wanthana has expressed optimism that the number of fatalities in road accidents during this year's Songkran Festival will decrease by 15 percent.

Air Chief Marshal Kongsak commented that officials involved have put maximum efforts to keep the road toll within the target. He admitted however that the number of deaths in the first three of the 10-dangerous days is rising at a worrying rate and nearly beats last year's figure for the same period.

According to the Interior Minister, officials have requested cooperation from petrol stations nationwide to refrain from selling liquor during the 10 dangerous days ending April 16th. Any province with very few deaths during the period will be rewarded. The Interior Minister said he will soon travel to the provinces to inspect the performance of authorities, who have been given clear-cut assignments, to prevent a gap resulting from overlapping of areas of responsibilities.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 11 April 2006

First three days of Songkran holiday claim 110 lives

Road accidents claimed 110 lives and injured 1,260 nationwide in the first three days of the 10day Songkran holiday, the Road Safety Centre reported Monday.

The number of accidents in the first three days was 1,130, 4.4 percent down on last year's 1,182, said Deputy Interior Minister Sermsak Pongpanit, in his capacity as the centre's deputy director.

Topping the list of fatalities by province is Songkhla, with eight. In second place is Chiang Mai, with five, followed by Chanthaburi, Chachoengsao, Nakhon Pathom and Phichit, each with four, Sermsak said.

On Sunday alone, the third day of the holiday, there were 399 road accidents, in which 42 people were killed and 450 injured. Sermsak said the accidents resulted mainly from drunk driving and speeding at 34.84 and 20.55 per cent, respectively. About 82 per cent of the accidents involved motorcycles, he said.

Source: The Nation - 11 April 2006

5gi_copy7.jpg

Danger signs

A motorcycle policeman in Chiang Mai looks at a hospital bed, wheelchair and three pairs of crutches, which are on display at an intersection as a reminder to motorists of the dangers of driving drunk over Songkran.

First three days of Songkran holiday claim 110 lives

Road accidents claimed 110 lives and injured 1,260 nationwide in the first three days of the 10day Songkran holiday, the Road Safety Centre reported Monday.

The number of accidents in the first three days was 1,130, 4.4 percent down on last year's 1,182, said Deputy Interior Minister Sermsak Pongpanit, in his capacity as the centre's deputy director.

Topping the list of fatalities by province is Songkhla, with eight. In second place is Chiang Mai, with five, followed by Chanthaburi, Chachoengsao, Nakhon Pathom and Phichit, each with four, Sermsak said.

On Sunday alone, the third day of the holiday, there were 399 road accidents, in which 42 people were killed and 450 injured. Sermsak said the accidents resulted mainly from drunk driving and speeding at 34.84 and 20.55 per cent, respectively. About 82 per cent of the accidents involved motorcycles, he said.

Watch for the exponential increase from here through the weekend

Wait a minute....

And each year there are more than 13,000 deaths, more than one million injuries, and tens of thousands of disabilities from road accidents. In 2002, social and economic losses resulting from motoriz

That's 250 deaths a day, by my reckoning...

Yet "68 people were killed on the first day"? :D

So the death toll on the roads goes DOWN during Songkran? :o

Acting PM is satisfied with the measures to control road accidents during Songkran festival

Acting Prime Minister and Justice Minister Chitchai Wannasathit (ชิดชัย วรรณสถิตย์) revealed that he is satisfied with the measures for preventing road accidents during Songkran festival. He added that the authorities will be stricter in controlling those who sell alcoholic beverages along the sideways.

Pol. Gen. Chitchai talked about the road fatalities during the “10 days dangerous” period. He has urged people to strictly follow the traffic rules and be conscious while driving. He pointed out that the majority of deaths during the festival are caused by drunk drivers. He said the authorities will set up check points to ensure their safeties.

He disclosed that the laws to prohibit the sales of alcoholic beverages in gas stations have been issued. The authorities will take immediate action against those who violate the laws by selling alcoholic beverages along the sideways.

He believes the officials will be able to control the numbers of deaths, in which the death toll should not exceed 506 cases.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 11 April 2006

5026410.jpg

Highway police Commander Maj-General Suwira Songmetta and Miss Thailand World 2005 Sirinda Jensen hand out road-safety stickers at a checkpoint on the Bangkok-Chon Buri highway yesterday.

Source: The Nation - 12 April 2006