Red licence plate restrictions

Rob5060

I know people who have been using red plates for years without any restriction, more or less it seems to depend on your willing-to-give-tea-money if you meet a sincere checkpoint.

Normally it means not going out of province and not driving between sunset and sunrise. In addition there is a limit of using the red plates for more than 3 months and/or more than 30,000 kms. I may be easily corrected regarding these figures by someone with more experience.

Edited by hkt83100
  • Like 1

Red Plates:

• Can only be used from 06:00 to 18:00, though there is a police directive to extend this to 20:00 in situations of heavy traffic - max fine: 1,000 Baht.
  • Cannot be driven outside of the province indicated without special approval of the Land Transport Department (permission must be noted in the log book) - max fine: 1,000 Baht.
  • Logs of each journey must be kept - max fine: 1,000 Baht
  • Cannot be used on the one car for more than 30 days or 3,000KM - max fine: 10,000 Baht

In addition, the use of fake red plates will result in a 6 month to 5 year jail term, and a 1,000 to 10,000 Baht fine.

• Like 1

I've never really understood the rationale for this red plate system. In most countries, you just get a temporary paper registration that goes in the back window, which operates like a fully legal number plate (license plate), and you simply wait for the metal ones to arrive. That paper registration goes 30 days or whatever.

Why can't Thailand get with a workable program like everyone else?

I've never really understood the rationale for this red plate system. In most countries, you just get a temporary paper registration that goes in the back window, which operates like a fully legal number plate (license plate), and you simply wait for the metal ones to arrive. That paper registration goes 30 days or whatever.

Why can't Thailand get with a workable program like everyone else?

White plates can be issued at most DLT's on-the-spot - the only thing the selling dealer needs to provide are the car's details, buyer's details, finance co. details (if applicable) and a receipts proving the car and all applicable excise, interior and VAT taxes have been paid.

The delays are usually a mixture of the finance companies paying dealers slowly, and the dealers in turn paying manufacturers slowly.

In short, the only reason for a delay in getting white plates is because the selling dealer hasn't paid the manufacturer + govt taxes for the car yet.

Edited by IMHO

^ I know another reason. Thais love to show off their red plates, it gives them face. wink.png

Your post brings up another interesting question I was not aware of. In other countries, dealers usually "floorplan" their inventory with bank finance or self funding. Are you saying in Thailand the dealers are given the cars on consignment by the manufacturers? sweet deal.

Edited by keemapoot

^ I know another reason. Thais love to show off their red plates, it gives them face. wink.png

Your post brings up another interesting question I was not aware of. In other countries, dealers usually "floorplan" their inventory with bank finance or self funding. Are you saying in Thailand the dealers are given the cars on consignment by the manufacturers? sweet deal.

Floorplan finance is available in TH, but rarely used (how many times have you seen the car you want in stock?). Mostly, cars are ordered from the factory when your finance is approved, and the dealer given 30-90 day terms (which is often paid late).

Sure, every Thai recognizes red plates as being a new car, and there's some street cred in that - but it only extends to family/friends/neighbors wink.png. Some owners of luxury cars seem to like perpetual red plates though, knowing that they won't get bothered at checkpoints, and that their car only starts officially ageing from the date it gets white plates. In that last case, from a perception POV, I think it's more an expression of power/influence - as it the car they're driving.

Edited by IMHO
  • Like 1

So the fine can be 10000 Thb if you keep using red plates after 1 month ?

Could tt be only 100 Thb at any checkpoint or they could dare to ask more ?

Thanks for great info !

Oh they will dare, believe you me.

I can't say I have ever seen reports of a 100 baht 'tip' or 'fine' at any 'checkpoint' being either adequate or asked for. The market rate for most perceived moving traffic violations, imagined or real, ticketed or otherwise, is 400 baht.

The closest I ever got to that magic 10,000 baht number was a Bangkok ramp cop suggesting that I could be fined 7000 baht and have my brand-new, totally un-plated and un-tax stickered truck confiscated. He tried to sweat me for about 30 minutes before he finally twigged he was getting bugger all from me and he waived me on.