'Al-Qaeda' Video Threatening Thaksin's Life Dismissed As Fake

Lite Beer

One can always hope.

Would be nice to see the start of unification here in Thailand.

This way it would not be of concern to the red shirts and their big brother PTP as it was clearly not a political motivation from the Thai enemies? Thaksin has pissed off. It would be a great day for Thailand.

Thailand would only be run by the air head side of the clones.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I can assure you that the contempt held for Thaksin is of "special" proportions in the Deep South. But yes, there are some ringleaders who like him because they see him as an easier route to achieving their goal. Take from that what you will.

Red Shirt support there did exist, and the local support they garnered was more against the perceived army/Democrat coalition and the establishment than for Thaksin. Support there faded quite a bit after the Red Shirt stage calls to attack mosques.

Agree totally that this is unlikely to be a PTP act to attract sympathy for the Square Faced Prophet. They'd much rather everyone just forgot about it.

I don't think anyone here would not condemn the army's approach to Krue Se. However Thaksin's hardline unsympathetic and unapologetic stance after the incident certainly did him no favours and, in the eyes of many, he basically admitted that what happened was in line with his own thinking. Besides, violence did flare up down there whilst he was in power, after several decades of relative stability.

Perhaps. The conversation I had with my friend on this (wld think he's got more of a grasp on this than most since his job involves talking to villagers etc on a daily basis) was over a few drinks well over a year ago so my memory of the conversation is somewhat hazy. He was discussing the level of red shirt support in the South, and I said I considered it strange since surely the anti-Thaksin feeling must be strong in the area given what everything that had happened. I can't remember his exact words, just that he seemed fairly dismissive of the idea that the majority of Muslims in the South were particularly anti-Thaksin, anymore than they were simply anti the Thai state in itself. But he definitely did say that the red shirt sympathies there were due to anti-elite/military sentiments rather than support for TS, as you say. Also mentioned that most people he'd spoken to supported the PT proposals on some form of autonomy but because PT basically hadn't bothered campaigning properly in the Deep South (put virtually no money or effort into it, complete contrast w/the Democrats), the Democrats won the majority of seats, giving PT no political incentive to go ahead with controversial autonomy proposals. Which he thought meant that nothing would change, at least for the forseeable future.

I don't think there was a 'red shirt call' to attack mosques. I assume you're referring to the Arisman speech where he's reading a leaked government list of supposed red shirt targets (including mosques) and says something like "I can assure you, if you attack the red shirts, none of these places will exist" or the like. Profoundly stupid but no more of a call to attack mosques than it was a call to attack Siriraj hospital (also on the list).

Mostly agree on your latter paragraph. Thaksin's abolishment of SBPAC in his first year as PM was a critical mistake which was a probable catalyst for the revival of the conflict. On the other hand, it goes without saying seperatist sentiment certainly existed in the pre-Thaksin years. So perhaps it would've blown up again even had he not started meddling in things he knew little about. Having read McCargo's books on the subject it quickly becomes clear that though Thaksin's role in this has been entirely pernicious, it would only be a particularly partial or myopic analyst that lays the blame entirely at his door. As he says here, the establishment are also responsible for not being willing to consider the radical measures necessary for a political solution to this: http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2009/dec/01/thailand-malay-muslims

Edited by Emptyset
  • Like 1

"They are also aware that right now there is anti-democracy movement campaigning against the government," Lt.Gen. Paradorn said tartly.

One of the stupidest things I have ever heard, this would imply that the gang of criminals running the country are operating a democracy. Don't know whether to laugh at the stupidity or cry for the rape of the kingdom by the gang of crooks....

Pheu Thai in search of person posting clip that claims Al-Qaeda death threat against Thaksin

BANGKOK, 29 July 2013 (NNT) -The Pheu Thai Party is now in search of a person who posted a video clip threatening former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, saying the clip was a fake and was not done by the Al-Qaeda group.

Secretary-General of the National Security Council of Thailand (NSC) Lieutenant General Paradorn Pattanatabut said the clip was not made by the Al-Qaeda group, because the persons in Arab-style clothing holding a picture of Mr. Thaksin did not cover their faces, unlike the real Al-Qaeda members who always hide their identity.

Interior Minister Jarupong Ruangsuwan said the video clip was an old one, which was made in 2004 to threat Mr. Thaksin for the Tak Bai incident.

Meanwhile, Pheu Thai Deputy Spokesman Anusorn Iamsa-ard expressed his belief that the clip was released to create political conflict, adding it would not have any influence on the government’s intention to restore peace in the violence-torn southern border provinces. Lastly, the deputy spokesman condemned the action of the clip poster, adding that the authorities would leave no stone unturned in bringing the culprit to justice.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2013-07-28 footer_n.gif

As various government and Pheu Thai people are clear in saying that the Al-Quada tape is fake, does that mean soon we will also get a clear statement on the Thaksin tape which the PM told us needed to be studied first?

• Like 2

I thought there was news but when I found the full video here it looked like a Monty Python sketch - it is not April 1st and it is strange taste in humor - the terrorists look fake wearing fresh clean arab designer clothes and a fake gun with funny voices, the actors really do look like actors and do not look anything like what was shown in real terror videos - Strange how utube allows real Al Quada vids but bans fake ones - the Thai media that are broadcasting the joke of the year is below:

http://www.tnews.co.th/html/news/64593/.html