Friday Night In Chiang Mai?

PostmanPat

Anyone know what went on Friday night in downtown Chiang Mai and why? A group of us were out having a meal followed by a few drinks, when suddenly, panic set in everywhere, and I mean everywhere. All of the bars and ahem, "entertainment spots", ie, bars, gogos, discos, zoe bar, hotshot, boxing ring drinking complexes were all required to close at midnight, we were just chatting in a small bar after an evening in Chez Marco, when suddenly, shutters were going down all around us, literally!!

Naturally, we thought the cops were just picking on a few places, but a quick scout around for other places normally exempt from this type of action showed that it was a pretty comprehensive sweep. I m told (dont go there, honest!) that even Spicy (allegedly owned/ controlled by cops?) was forced to close too.

All we could get was that (I quote) "The Bangkok police are in town". So does "The Bangkok police" control Chiang Mai over and above the Chiang Mai police, and if push comes to shove (which it did!), what is the actual official closing time for bars etc in Chiang Mai.

All rather curious!! (but not necessarily surprising!)

I like the sneaking around when bars have to close. Don't mind it at all, it's just part of life, and the peculiar way the place is run.

Often they just want to make some impression on Bangkok visitors. Then they leave. Then it goes back to normal and the visitors come away with the impression that it's still the Tranquil Rose of the North. So job well done, high fives all around. :P

The place I was at finally closed about 2am or 2:30am or so, they did a very good job hiding that they were open. (Front closed, secret entrance, etc.) I LOVE that. It makes it better.

• Like 1

Official closing in CM is 11pm for Thai bars, mid-night for tourist bars.

Been that way since the new Mayor took office.

RUBBISH

The time on the license is 1am

So legally its 1am but of course if the cops tell a bar owner to close at 12 they have to but it ain't legal since their license clearly states the times of closing.

Sunday tonight and all will be back to normal

RUBBISH

So legally its 1am but of course if the cops tell a bar owner to close at 12 they have to but it ain't legal since their license clearly states the times of closing.

I beg to differ, but closing time is when the policeman at your door says it is.

(Unless you want your bar mysteriously burnt to the ground with you in it.)

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican
  • Like 1

This has been happening for the 20 years I've been here. And yes, the Bangkok hi-so BIB can and do this occasionally though generally no panic, just a quiet shutdown of doors and shutters. And yes, they have the authority considering the Director General of the Thai police may have initiated it. No one is going to question him. wink.png

• Like 2

I like the sneaking around when bars have to close. Don't mind it at all, it's just part of life, and the peculiar way the place is run.

Often they just want to make some impression on Bangkok visitors. Then they leave. Then it goes back to normal and the visitors come away with the impression that it's still the Tranquil Rose of the North. So job well done, high fives all around. tongue.png

The place I was at finally closed about 2am or 2:30am or so, they did a very good job hiding that they were open. (Front closed, secret entrance, etc.) I LOVE that. It makes it better.

ME TOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In my youth, under martial law, all the shutters would bang shut around 10:00 PM,

And then the girls would let us in the back door from the dark into the light,

The pink lights, and blue lights, and red lights of the bars,

The juxtaposition of the light of the bars and the darkness of the street and "civilized" society in the darkness outside.

It made everything taste better because it seemed somehow illicit.

EVERYTHING tasted better after lights out!

• Like 1

RUBBISH

I beg to differ, but closing time is when the policeman at your door says it is.

(Unless you want your bar mysteriously burnt to the ground with you in it.)

...'burnt to the ground' What evidence do you have to support this?

• Like 1