I paid the store for an item, they didn't deliver it, and now they refuse to cancel the order.

shepsel

I cannot mention the store's name due to THAI visa forum rules, but the large shop is located on ******** Road and uses the same parking lot as the ********* dealership.....over three weeks ago, my refrigerator died, and I went to purchase a new one. The Haier refrigerator was on a special promotion, and I asked when it could be delivered. I was told the next day, and then purchased it. The next day came and went, with no phone call, no delivery. I returned to the store, and was told that the fridge (which I requested new in a box) was slightly damaged, and that a new one would be sent and delivered on the Tuesday of next week, which I accepted. Again, the same story....Tuesday came and went, and nobody from the shop called. Thursday I returned to the shop and asked to cancel the order, and I was told that they could not. I explained to them that they failed to deliver my order in a timely fashion, and I would like to cancel the order and purchase the fridge from another compnay. They refused. It is now Sunday (three weeks after I paid for the fridge) and I still have nothing except a headache.

Is there any recourse for me? The stores management is very uncooperative?

Edited by onthedarkside
location details removed
  • Like 1

Translation - they oversold on their promotion and are awaiting new stock but happily let you pay for a non-stock item. Always best to take your own vehicle and take it home yourself, or hire a song taow for a few hundred baht. Don't pay until you see "your" appliance on a dolly waiting to go out the door.

TIT whistling.gif

Edited by Gsxrnz
  • Like 1

Customer service is not top of the list in LOS.....but taking your money is. If you paid by credit/debit card you may get some help from your bank by way of reporting things but i think personally i would go to my local Amphur where there is normally an office that deals with such complaints. I don't know what the department is called but someone on here will know as it's been discussed before.

I find customer service from stores is better than the UK, but some people love to hate Thailand. I bought a washing machine, I am 25 kms from the shop, 2 hours later it is delivered as promised at 6:30pm My advice is go back and have a Thai speaker and talk at the top of the chain not the bottom. No is an easy word but it often changes to yes.

+1

I think you need to be cool heart Jai Yen. This is Thailand and it's not like Europe or US etc thank god.Don't do today what you can do tomorrow.your appliance will turn up at some point so don't worry.Why did you decide to live in Thailand ? Because it's laid back country so we have to accept certain things are not the same as our country's. If you cannot then it's time to move on. If you want to buy something in the future then ask is it in stock and take your truck to pick it up straight away.If they have no stock try another store (EASY)smile.png

• Like 2

I find customer service from stores is better than the UK, but some people love to hate Thailand. I bought a washing machine, I am 25 kms from the shop, 2 hours later it is delivered as promised at 6:30pm My advice is go back and have a Thai speaker and talk at the top of the chain not the bottom. No is an easy word but it often changes to yes.

+1

I've been rather astonished over the years at how good retail service is in Chiang Mai with amazingly prompt delivery service. Once I had a delivery truck beat me back to my residence, and quite a few have made it a close race.

The only annoyance that I can think of is once having a fresh water delivery service which had to be called repeatedly. That's not to say that OP isn't dealing with some sort of problem or misunderstanding. Good luck in sorting it out.

As suggested, a sensible discussion with the store owner or manager is the first step. There is some sort of consumer protection set-up, but I am not familiar with it. Meanwhile, enjoy eating out until the fridge shows up! smile.png

• Like 1

I'm sure we've all had good and bad experiences when it comes to customer service here. Our bottled water delivery usually comes within a day depending on the queue and if we're not here they just leave it and we pay later. But in this instance shepsel has payed for a large ticket item from a large well known store a long time ago without receiving the item, something that might be needed immediately, and it seems jai yen has gotten him nowhere. My Thai GF recommends going to the police and I feel it he doesn't want to do that, or least yet, I would raise a polite ruckus with the general manager. I had a bad experience at service dept. of the Mazda dealership in town and I made an appointment to speak with the owner and he comped me everything including parts a a full brake job.

• Like 2

A refrigerator is a neccessity, Id be stirring up a ruckus also.

Everything he had in there is trash by now.

For large purchases like this I always use a credit card - to get the last laugh if they play any games.

• Like 2

So...can anyone provide the details for the Thai consumer protection organisation here in CMai?

This will help the OP and others.

Such as those like my colleague scammed by the Thai lady running a drapery business in the Sansai-DoiSaket new housing estates, who takes a hefty downpayment then uses the downpayment on other than the drapes, her excuses continuing for over four months now, alledgedly. Police are not interested.

As suggested above, I would seek out the manager and ask if he can help you out with a problem (don't lay the blame at his door). I realise this not the western way but I have tried this approach many times in Asian countries and I have had far more success with this approach than beating the table with my fist or threatening to cancel an order. I can see no value in going to the police as it is a civil issue.

In my experience these stores are usually right on the ball regarding deliveries. But there is always going to be a time when someone throws a spanner into the works and Mr Cock Up rears his ugly head again.

My advice is, that if making major purchases that require a delivery, is to always pay a deposit, no more than a 1000 baht, and pay the balance on delivery. I have always done this and never had any problems.

Usually the store that the OP is referring to are very reliable when it comes to deliveries, installations and service. But these things do happen once in a while and as I said; pay a deposit, never give the whole amount up front.

• Like 1

So...can anyone provide the details for the Thai consumer protection organisation here in CMai?

This will help the OP and others.

Such as those like my colleague scammed by the Thai lady running a drapery business in the Sansai-DoiSaket new housing estates, who takes a hefty downpayment then uses the downpayment on other than the drapes, her excuses continuing for over four months now, alledgedly. Police are not interested.

http://www.ocpb.go.th/main.php?filename=index

They have a department in every cityhall nationwide. Claims have to be made at the office of the district where the issue occured.

I have had several experiences with them and they are good. In all cases a phone call of the OCPB was enough to get problems, that had fallen on deaf ears for months, solved to satisfaction within 24 hours.

Edited by jbrain

Some 3 years ago I bought over 30,000 bahts of items from a large store in Phitsanulok and had it delivered. It was about an hour out of the city in a village. When they delivered they stated that the delivery was out of the free delivery zone by a few kilometers and thus had to pay and extra 300 bahts. After they left I was on the internet sending their head office a piece of my mind email. The next week the manager of the store and his assistant drove out to our house with the 300 bahts in an envelope and a large fruit basket and of course an apology. The same store sent out a truck with a A/C unit. They also install the unit. At the time they arrived I was away for a couple of hours. They waited for me to return and said they would not install it because it was to small for the room. I said install it anyway which they promptly did. I had to sign an agreement that I would not return the unit.

A refrigerator is a neccessity, Id be stirring up a ruckus also.

Everything he had in there is trash by now.

For large purchases like this I always use a credit card - to get the last laugh if they play any games.

As been mentioned before on TV be careful of the scam some of these large stores in CM (one I know about by being burned by personally) use when using a cc with their added charge for currency conversion if it's not card tied to Thai baht.

I think you need to be cool heart Jai Yen. This is Thailand and it's not like Europe or US etc thank god.Don't do today what you can do tomorrow.your appliance will turn up at some point so don't worry.Why did you decide to live in Thailand ? Because it's laid back country so we have to accept certain things are not the same as our country's. If you cannot then it's time to move on. If you want to buy something in the future then ask is it in stock and take your truck to pick it up straight away.If they have no stock try another store (EASY)smile.png

What tripe. So you think waiting three weeks for an already paid fridge is cool? I can tell you that 99.9% of Thai people, jai yen ones or otherwise, would not accept this either (it is not a Thai quirk of culture to which you allude).

I agree with the second part, but, like others, have never had a problem with deliveries after paying in full... and many times seeing them go beyond the call of duty. Global screwed up on the cement part a large order, so later in the day sent out their big truck (pickups not available) with the replacement item... two bags of premix on the back of a huge flatbed, 25kms. Unbelievable!

Edited by jackr
  • Like 2

Cool heads prevail. In the future, since this is not your country, smile, lie, smile some more, and find a solution that is acceptable. when they say "delayed," say "great, thanks." they will feel less threatened, and work with you more than if simply upset and demanding. in your home country, it's almost the reverse. create a scene and get what you want. that might work in LOS, but don't count on it.

I bought a laptop and they forgot a bunch of stuff. I went back into the store, they felt horrible, I lied and said "oh, no worries. this is great." and left. less stress, and there is nothing I can do about it anyhow.

maybe find a translator, go back into the store with a big happy smile, and figure out when you can get a refrigerator.

there are worse things that can happen.

• Like 1

To whom have you spoken at the store. The floor staff or a real manager? I am surprised because this company has always given my friends and I good service.

Edited by harrry

To whom have you spoken at the store. The floor staff or a real manager? I am surprised because this company has always given me and my friends good service.

Yeh, this whole thing is a joke unless he has spoken with the manager, the floor staff can not be expected to deal with this kind of thing.

I hate this store.

I purchased something from them once, 14 years ago.

And that was the last time, for my current life and my next 7 reincarnations.

It's still crystal clear which shop is intended (even after edits) but if anyone is in doubt then PM me.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

I have no idea of what shop they are talking about. I have bought a refrigerator and a TV from Siam. Twice. Both times they not only delivered them in a timely fashion but hooked them up. ( I could have done the fridge) but the TV was a bit more complicated and they also showed the wife how to use the controls. You would need a pick up for my second Refrigerator and help to wrestle it into the kitchen. They did it all for me. My brother in law moved the original refrigerator and TV (not Thai Visa)tongue.png to my mother in laws.

I have had no problem with Siam

No I am not connected to them.

Sent from my HP desk top computer.

Some 3 years ago I bought over 30,000 bahts of items from a large store in Phitsanulok and had it delivered. It was about an hour out of the city in a village. When they delivered they stated that the delivery was out of the free delivery zone by a few kilometers and thus had to pay and extra 300 bahts. After they left I was on the internet sending their head office a piece of my mind email. The next week the manager of the store and his assistant drove out to our house with the 300 bahts in an envelope and a large fruit basket and of course an apology. The same store sent out a truck with a A/C unit. They also install the unit. At the time they arrived I was away for a couple of hours. They waited for me to return and said they would not install it because it was to small for the room. I said install it anyway which they promptly did. I had to sign an agreement that I would not return the unit.

You complained over 300 Baht when they drove one hour away to your location? And then you had the nerve to accept the money back and the fruit? Unbelievable. I don't know any Thais who would do something so shameful. There is a reason they refer to some farangs as farang kii nok.

You complained over 300 Baht when they drove one hour away to your location? And then you had the nerve to accept the money back and the fruit? Unbelievable. I don't know any Thais who would do something so shameful. There is a reason they refer to some farangs as farang kii nok.

You mean doing something so shameful as adding an extra charge AFTER you have placed a 30.000 baht order and paid for it ?

Well it's all in the post, so seemingly there are that kind of Thai people.

You mean doing something so shameful as adding an extra charge AFTER you have placed a 30.000 baht order and paid for it ?

Well it's all in the post, so seemingly there are that kind of Thai people.

They said it was out of the free delivery zone. Didn't you read that? I suppose you never tip when some guys unload a truck worth of stuff at your place either?

• Like 2