Good 'N' Cheap Jeans For Old Tolerant Men Who Are Not Too Picky, In Chiang Mai!

OldChinaHam

I know what you may be thinking.

This is a Sunday, and the Topic Sounds Crazy, and it is OCHam

So this must be a troll Topic.

W R O N G!

When I rolled-in to Chiang Mai just a few short days ago,

I had not been too concerned with stuffing my jeans

In my luggage,

And I did not bring enough of them.

Now I need more. I only have three pair.

So since it is the raining season, I can think about wearing long pants of the heavier jeans variety, not shorts which I never wear anyway.

In Taiwan, I could find fairly good quality jeans, with good cotton high quality cloth, that was sewn together by little old and young ladies for about 130 Baht.

Over there, they were so cheap, it was sometimes a toss-up between washing them or tossing them.

Because I don't wash my jeans until I wear them about 10 times, and so that would only be 13 Baht if I tossed them and never washed or "recycled" them, as I like to call washing in Taiwan.

In Thailand, I have been washing them because I don't yet know where to buy them.

My questions:

1. Where can I find good "quality cotton cloth: jeans in Chiang Mai.

2. I am not picky about brand, or if there is any brand. I do not even like brands on my clothes.

3. I do not know what the going rate is for a pair of these, but I do not want to dump my money down the drain of the MAD Ave companies from NYC or London.

GOOD QUALITY cloth is what I am after,

Sewn together so it won't fall apart.

Maybe even a cheap place that sews them on demand I might try.

But for cheapness and good quality, you really gotta have a factory and mass production,

Like Henry Ford taught me.

Edited by OldChinaHam

Try either XL For Men in Kad Suan Kaew (on the left just past Apple store through the main entrance) or 71 Export on Huay Kaew Road. Both have inexpensive farang-sized jeans, most of which seem to be overflow and/or rejects, but are often perfectly fine.

You'll have to judge for yourself whether they contain the right species of cotton and satisfy your baht-per-use requirements.

• Like 2

Try either XL For Men in Kad Suan Kaew (on the left just past Apple store through the main entrance) or 71 Export on Huay Kaew Road. Both have inexpensive farang-sized jeans, most of which seem to be overflow and/or rejects, but are often perfectly fine.

You'll have to judge for yourself whether they contain the right species of cotton and satisfy your baht-per-use requirements.

Thanks!

I will go next Friday if it does not rain.

(And, just in case you might know: Do you know any places that might have patterns which they would sew if I somehow found some of that really good quality soft cotton denim in light blue? You know, the color and texture which makes old men look sexy again?)

Or dark blue, or any good top quality denim in maybe dark brownish red, or what about dark green?

AND, anyone know where to buy this very good quality denim suitable for making jeans?

Edited by OldChinaHam

If you find 71 export claustrophobic (I do), there are two or three export shops in Airport Plaza which also have larger sizes (I'm not particularly large, but my size 38 is at the very top of the ranges most Thai shops sell).

BUT all these shops are selling export overruns or rejects.... so be sure to check carefully that there's no obvious defect.

Edited by isanbirder

Not jeans but an excellent alternative are 5.11 Taclite Pro pants.

They can be found at the basement floor of Airport plaza at IBIS or at KSK on the second floor (1 floor above ground level) at the green & white signed export shop.

550 baht, very comfortable, cooler than jeans, lots of pockets and teflon treated for slight rain/stain protection. They cost 2000-2500 baht in the US. I stopped wearing jeans after i picked these up, theyre so comfortable.

http://www.511tactical.com/All-Products/Pants/Tactical-Pants/Taclite-Pro-Pants.html

Thanks!

For me though, they would be better without the pockets.

I do like the Teflon treating.

I could be another man in the white suit only without the suit.

Maybe I could remove the pockets? No.

I bet I could find them without pockets if I go over and talk to the seller.

Edited by OldChinaHam

There is a store that sells Levi's on Chang Land Road, off of Chang Klan. Large supply of jeans and denim shirts.

Chang Land is not that long of a street and this store is about 2/3 of the way down off Chang Klan.

Different prices for different styles but the prices didn't seem unreasonable to me. Don't remember if they have other brands.

I would guess if the jeans are not knockoffs they are genuine imported Levi Jeans, then they are going to be not cheap, meaning low cost.

But thank you.

I will look.

If you're looking for sexy, I suggest changing them more frequently than 10 wears! Yuk! bah.gif

Whether I wash twice a day or not,

I am just looking for cheap price jeans that will make me look sexy like

Andy Warhol at 50.

Is that too much to ask?

Well, probably yes.

They can be found at the basement floor of Airport plaza at IBIS or at KSK on the second floor (1 floor above ground level) at the green & white signed export shop.

550 baht, very comfortable, cooler than jeans, lots of pockets and teflon treated for slight rain/stain protection. They cost 2000-2500 baht in the US. I stopped wearing jeans after i picked these up, theyre so comfortable.

http://www.511tactical.com/All-Products/Pants/Tactical-Pants/Taclite-Pro-Pants.html

Thanks!

You may just like the pockets, every single one is specialized for a different task. I can fit an enitre 1 liter water bottle in the back pocket, theres a pocket on the left for keys and on the right a slit pocket for my phone that isnt too big, works good for regular phones not iphone sized. Keeps everything seperated and uncluttered.

Plus these are the only pair of pants ive ever worn that do not require a belt. On the inside there are also internal pockets for the knees where you can insert kneepads.

IMO beige is the nicest color.

Thanks!

You may just like the pockets, every single one is specialized for a different task. I can fit an enitre 1 liter water bottle in the back pocket, theres a pocket on the left for keys and on the right a slit pocket for my phone that isnt too big, works good for regular phones not iphone sized. Keeps everything seperated and uncluttered.

Plus these are the only pair of pants ive ever worn that do not require a belt. On the inside there are also internal pockets for the knees where you can insert kneepads.

IMO beige is the nicest color.

The price is certainly affordable.

And you are correct that we can get used to anything when we learn that we actually like it.

OK, I will try a pair.

• Like 1

troll topic

"Over there, they were so cheap, it was sometimes a toss-up between washing them or tossing them.

Because I don't wash my jeans until I wear them about 10 times, and so that would only be 13 Baht if I tossed them and never washed or "recycled" them, as I like to call washing in Taiwan."

That works out to 130 baht for a pair of jeans and he wants them to be quality to.

troll topic

"Over there, they were so cheap, it was sometimes a toss-up between washing them or tossing them.

Because I don't wash my jeans until I wear them about 10 times, and so that would only be 13 Baht if I tossed them and never washed or "recycled" them, as I like to call washing in Taiwan."

That works out to 130 baht for a pair of jeans and he wants them to be quality to.

I have been buying jeans from a big box retailer in Taiwan called RT-Mart selling jeans for a decade that cost approx 130 Baht.

This is true. It is a fact. But sometimes they sell for 99Baht.

I have 3 pair of these with me in Thailand. Fact.

3. Where I live very close to the ocean is very humid, cold, and it rains constantly. It is exactly like being in a boat on the ocean in the winter, but it just does not rock back and forth. Due to the humidity and constant rain, everything becomes mildewed very quickly. It is impossible to dry anything for months because the sun does not shine for weeks.

Therefore, during these times it is better to just buy a lot of these 100 Baht jeans, and do not wash them, because you cannot wash them if you also want to dry them. FACT. FACT!

YOU THINK THIS IS A TROLL TOPIC?

YOU SIR, HD, ARE COMPLETELY W R O N G!

Got it?

Believe it.

Any other questions about this topic that apply to buying cheap price jeans in CM,

PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ASK AWAY!

Got it?

GOOD!!!

Edited by OldChinaHam

If your waist size is not over 34 inches, you can check the Uniqulo shop in the new Promenada shopping Mall.

I just bought a nice straight cut, dark blue denim jeans for 799 baht. Fit like a glove and the material is a tat softer than the Levis 501, which i usually wear.

Why not have them made by a local taylor..?? I am a large fellow, so cannot buy shirts or pants in any Thai store, but the good thing about 'Tailor Made' is that such is cheaper than buying in a store. Large shirt in store 300-500 Baht - tailor made 250-350 Baht - better shirt, lower price.

As for wearing jeans 10 times to wash - when I wore them, I hated to wash them, because they would be difficult to put on when clean, so I changed jeans once a week.

Why not have them made by a local taylor..?? I am a large fellow, so cannot buy shirts or pants in any Thai store, but the good thing about 'Tailor Made' is that such is cheaper than buying in a store. Large shirt in store 300-500 Baht - tailor made 250-350 Baht - better shirt, lower price.

As for wearing jeans 10 times to wash - when I wore them, I hated to wash them, because they would be difficult to put on when clean, so I changed jeans once a week.

This is a very good option, the tailor I mean.

It would be nice also if we knew where to get the better quality denim cotton which is best for jeans.

This way, we could have high quality jeans at low cost, and not need to pay designer prices.

Now that I am in Thailand away from the very high humidity which turns my leather belts and shoes green, and my jeans full of a wet mildewy smell, like I was a sailor on a small boat, I do wash my jeans, as I hope any future women in my life will appreciate.

So, can we find some good quality cotton denim for jeans in Chiang Mai? Cheap?

If we can, this will probably make us as sexy as Warhol at age 50.

He had plenty of broads following him around.

But he was a very clean fellow, who looked like he washed all the time.

Edited by OldChinaHam

troll topic

I have been buying jeans from a big box retailer in Taiwan called RT-Mart selling jeans for a decade that cost approx 130 Baht.

3. Where I live very close to the ocean is very humid, cold, and it rains constantly. It is exactly like being in a boat on the ocean in the winter, but it just does not rock back and forth. Due to the humidity and constant rain, everything becomes mildewed very quickly. It is impossible to dry anything for months because the sun does not shine for weeks.

Therefore, during these times it is better to just buy a lot of these 100 Baht jeans, and do not wash them, because you cannot wash them if you also want to dry them. FACT. FACT!

Got it?

Believe it.

Any other questions about this topic that apply to buying cheap price jeans in CM,

Got it?

GOOD!!!

130 baht and they were quality material.

troll topic

Got it?

Believe it.

Got it?

GOOD!!!

Yes. They were quality material.

If you like, and you are interested. And you want to see the quality material for yourself.

Then you can tomorrow hop on a Thai Air flight to Taipei, get a Taxi to RT-Mart

And buy a dozen pair, IF they have your size. The have up to 36 inch waist.

Then you can please buy a dozen for me too. I wear size 34 waste. Because the quality is very good for the money.

And I guess I will not pay you for your trouble because I am helping you enough here to find the jeans.

But I will reimburse you for the cost of the jeans,

IF you bring a RT-Mart receipt back with you.

This is the best way for you to judge the quality of the material of these jeans.

Because you do not believe what I am telling you here.

Unlike other readers.

OK?

Thank you for your interest, and your help.

Edited by OldChinaHam

troll topic

Got it?

Believe it.

Got it?

GOOD!!!

Yes. They were quality material.

If you like, and you are interested. And you want to see the quality material for yourself.

Then you can tomorrow hop on a Thai Air flight to Taipei, get a Taxi to RT-Mart

And buy a dozen pair, IF they have your size. The have up to 36 inch waist.

Then you can please buy a dozen for me too. I wear size 34 waste. Because the quality is very good for the money.

And I guess I will not pay you for your trouble because I am helping you enough here to find the jeans.

But I will reimburse you for the cost of the jeans,

IF you bring a RT-Mart receipt back with you.

This is the best way for you to judge the quality of the material of these jeans.

Because you do not believe what I am telling you here.

Unlike other readers.

OK?

Thank you for your interest, and your help.

Changing your story now I see

"Because the quality is very good for the money"

I have worn 5.11 pants in Iraq and Afghanistan, heavier material than these but still very comfortable. And they wear extremely well...Ive still got a pair that Ive had for 5 years.

The only addition Id advise is to ensure you get a loose fit with these Taclite pants, this is due to the polyester material which can make you sweat if too tight. Once you have the right fit they are a great lightweight and comfortable brand of pants.

For others interested in the jeans that are sold by a major food and clothing big box store I mentioned earlier:

They sell a type of jeans which has remained very popular there. I do not know where they come from, but probably mainland China.

I have heard that the cotton cloth material is imported and then sewn in Taiwan someplace.

I would suspect that illegal labor is used, very probably from Indonesia.

These are men and women who work for very low pay, I think probably about 2 or 3 hundred USD.

The largest foreign population in Taiwan now is, I think, from Indonesia.

Sometimes I can get the jeans for about 99 Baht, and sometimes for about 135 Baht.

Unfortunately as I have mentioned, they do not carry larger waist sized than 36, sorry Man!

Some of us are not quite as svelte as our avatars.

The reason I mention that here is that I think there must be similar product in Thailand, maybe even lower cost because Taiwan is a more expensive place.

I would very much like to find such jeans

Wear one new pair each day

Then do a wash of the dozen I wear every 12 days in one fell swoop.

So this is also what I am looking for in Chiang Mai.

Thank you.

Edited by OldChinaHam

I am sure that there must be a retailer of the type of jeans in Chiang Mai that I am looking for.

I have searched for the exact store where I bought a pair, but was only able to find this.

So you can see that you walk in, and there will be a lady or a man that will do the alterations while you wait.

The material quality, I find OK. I would like to have better quality. But this is acceptable if I can find nothing better.

The price I want to pay is about 100 to 150 Baht.

These are actually very comfortable in hot weather.

jeans-girl2.jpg

The nice thing if you can find a shop like this (the photo I published above),

Is that you can keep going back and probably fit out your whole family if you have growing kids.

I am not a growing kid.

But I still am very happy to be able to buy these jeans if I can find nothing better.

I am sorry if there might have been any confusion among readers here.

But I really think that there was only ONE reader that seemed confused.

I am NOT confused about the jeans I am looking for.

And now I think, I have made this CRYSTAL clear.

Thank you for any continued help in assisting me to find what I am looking for in CM

I have only been here a short while,

And I do not know much about 95 percent of the CM city.

Thank you.

IF you are not too fat, then these look pretty good.

Edited by OldChinaHam

As you can further see from the photo above, those are probably not designer jeans, or brand name jeans.

I do not want designer or brand name jeans.

I want CHEAP jeans that are fairly acceptable quality and material

Did I not make that clear in the heading of this topic?

I thought I did.

Well, for some old guys

It is just continue to live

And some of us will continue to learn.

Now, please, on with our search for the best quality cloth for the CHEAP price.

And can we use a tailor, as one intelligent commenter suggested above.

Thank you, again to you.

And you say the jeans are good....looking at the photo, the lady wearing the jeans is pretty good on the eye as well! thumbsup.gif I will keep my eyes open for material when in town. Maybe one of the shops around Warrot market will have something and upstairs there are several seamstresses, just not sure on their service fees.

• Like 1

Since one reader has repeatedly asked for clarification about the jeans, material quality, and maybe is incredulous about other things such as price, I did a Google search in Chinese which produced a few results, but not many.

Here you can see the price for one type of jeans being offered by RT-Mart.

The price here is now 188 Baht, they say it is reduced, but it is not reduced, this is now the going price.

You can still get it cheaper if you go to the store and wait for periodic sales which occur regularly.

The "DM" is pictured here for reference, obviously not promoting anything on this topic:

111200.jpg