How much do u spend for a good life in Thailand.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

about 120k is about right. Servants run at about 25k and liquor (good wine)10-15K Wifes allowance 30k entertaining 15k

medical and medicine 15k. two cars upkeap food, electric it all mounts up. If you have to pay rent add another 50k

25k for servants, can i have a job please? I have no rent and spend 20k a month, 120k, i would not know how to spend it!

about 120k is about right. Servants run at about 25k and liquor (good wine)10-15K Wifes allowance 30k entertaining 15k

medical and medicine 15k. two cars upkeap food, electric it all mounts up. If you have to pay rent add another 50k

25k for servants, can i have a job please? I have no rent and spend 20k a month, 120k, i would not know how to spend it!

How good do you look in a short skirt and a spaghetti top? whistling.gif

• Like 1

I spend around 15-20k in an average month.

4,200 rent (in Bangkapi)

1,000 electric, water, and internet

500 petrol (bike is already paid for)

300 phone

Food and booze costs can vary a lot, obviously.

During the week I'd guess I average 100-200 a day, street food and one or two beers.

On the weekends I may take the gf out to a nice restaurant, or go out for a drink.

My girlfriend has a job so there's no need for a monthly stipend or shopping money or what have you. I just get the check when we go out.

Also no kids yet.

I suppose all of this is going nowhere. Just as anywhere else in the world, some of us like to live frugally, and others are more into comfort. I have seen people leave an air conditioner running even when they are not home. The logic is that they do not want to wait for the room to cool down. I bought a portable one (I cannot recommend anyone do the same) and push it into the room I am using. just need to exhaust it through a circular outlet at the window. Most nights, I just use the fan. We have guys here on all sorts of budgets. In four years I will get social security and will be making the same as the OP. For now, I just save up for travel and emergencies. 40,000 baht seems to be a good number for 2 people who have no car payments and a frugal home (rented). Another 40,000 in savings (we have no credit cards!! ) At least my gal cannot take a second mortgage out on the house and car. My friend has a wife that did that without his knowledge. Many hidden expenses come knocking on the door when these 2nd mortgages come a calling. Budgets have more to do with how much credit you owe and what you can save. Spending until the money is gone is not the way I want to work it.

The financial envy of some people is comical. If you're not happy with your finances, do something about it!

................................................................................................................................................................................................................ Thats not very nice,not everyone has their life in front of them.,perhaps, if they are a bit short in their Retirment at an Old Age they were to generous to arrogant Children. who post a comment like this...

Rent 25k

Loan 14k

Electrc 3k

Gas 4k

Food 15k

Theres 60k without even getting into entertainment, immigration, clothes, trips home and all sorts of other random expenses.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I guess to a certain extent it depends on your definition of 'a good life'. I have a roof and food and as many movies as I could ever want to watch, that's all I need....All you people paying huge sums to the wife and paying for her family, that's up to you, not for me...Don't need a car, public transport is plentiful here and I walk a lot..I don't drink or smoke or use drugs or frequent bars and the girls that go with them. Clean living and staying home is cheap hahaha ;)

he mentioned servants (plural), i.e. you wouldn't be happy with a job in Gamini's home.

but if you think 25k for servants is outrageous what do you say to 46k/month plus accomodation for cook, maid, gardener and driver/handyman?

he mentioned servants (plural), i.e. you wouldn't be happy with a job in Gamini's home.

but if you think 25k for servants is outrageous what do you say to 46k/month plus accomodation for cook, maid, gardener and driver/handyman?

there is a lot of variation on the cost of living, obviously. As i can see it ranges from roughly 30k up to 150k, depending what you deem "good living".

I have a teenage daughter and i do know highschool can be pretty damn expensive. Can someone give me some estimates what it would cost (yearly) for a -not too fancy- international or bilingual highschool?

I'm trying to figure out how much i would need to get by once we move to Thailand.

there is a lot of variation on the cost of living, obviously. As i can see it ranges from roughly 30k up to 150k, depending what you deem "good living".

I have a teenage daughter and i do know highschool can be pretty damn expensive. Can someone give me some estimates what it would cost (yearly) for a -not too fancy- international or bilingual highschool?

I'm trying to figure out how much i would need to get by once we move to Thailand.

The OP is gone.

He is now realising (too late) that his beloved wife has spanked him in more than one way and is now embarrassed and having a massive anxiety attack.

Poor op.

Wake up mate, your wife is shafting you when it should be the other way round!

I have a teenage daughter and i do know highschool can be pretty dam_n expensive. Can someone give me some estimates what it would cost (yearly) for a -not too fancy- international or bilingual highschool?

Depends on where you intend to live in Thailand. In the Pattaya, Rayong area an international school is going to run around 350K a year (I pay 300K for my 15 year old daughter but she gets a discount as she is Thai) Reasonable bilingual probably 90K. If your daughter intends to go back to your home Country then international is really the only way to go. The bilingual schools follow the Thai curriculum which is not very progressive and most teachers are Thai so you could run into issues if you disagree with hands on physical discipline as I do.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

150k - 170 k a month. Excludes rent as we bought a condo a few years back. Would probably be 50k or so a month if we rented similar. Includes running a car, and holidays. Biggest expense is 2 kids international school fees.

Fletch smile.png

Edited by fletchsmile

Living in Bangkok and recently have cut down to 100k a month spending. I was aiming for 80k but after 2 months at 100k I realise it is the minimum I want to live with at Bangkok living costs.

However I have friends who live perfectly happily on expenditures ranging from 70k and one friend who often seems unhappy despite tearing through about 400k a month.

I cannot imagine not checking your finances for 3 years...and leaving it to your wife is a recipe for trouble.

I totally disagree.

120 is way too much.

We have 2 daughters ages 13 and 15.

We have 2 new cars.

We own our own house and farms.

We cook at home.

At least our workers cook, we pay for the food.

Still with everything we spend about 50k/mo.

Now, this said.

This does not include vacations or trips abroad.

Also does not include new tires every 2 years.

I drink only occasionally now.

By far the most expensive are the girl's educational needs and of course with 3 women clothes are very important.

If you want to know where your money is going, start paying attention.

I totally disagree.

120 is way too much.

We have 2 daughters ages 13 and 15.

We have 2 new cars.

We own our own house and farms.

We cook at home.

At least our workers cook, we pay for the food.

Still with everything we spend about 50k/mo.

Now, this said.

This does not include vacations or trips abroad.

Also does not include new tires every 2 years.

I drink only occasionally now.

By far the most expensive are the girl's educational needs and of course with 3 women clothes are very important.

If you want to know where your money is going, start paying attention.

How can anybody say this is too much, or this is not enough - this is a totally subjective topic and depends entirely on an individuals income or capital, and their wants and desires. Everybody's financial position is different, as is there expenditure.

If you earn 1m Baht a month and spend 999,999k to live, is that any different to somebody earning 30k and spending 29,999? The bloke on 1m will probably not be living off 30b street food or chasing down a 2 Baht saving on a bottle of Singha, but that's life. If somebody can live happily on 30k, no problem.

We reap what we sow. If the 1m dude winds up miserable and destitute through bad planning and squandering cash, up to him. If the 30k bloke manages to live until a ripe old age and dies happy, up to him also.

I completely agree and retract my "too much" statement.

I also have been thinking and have a few other comments.

1) Someone said "why is the money in the wife's account?"

Well, why not ?

This is Thailand and traditionally this is how it is done.

This is how we have done it for almost 2 decades and it works perfectly fine.

I would also like to add that I trust my wife 100%.

If I did not, I would not be married to her.

2) Has the OP thought about buying some land ?

A farm maybe or some investment land.

We do this and make a healthy profit most of the time.

Also, our children will have land and farms when the are older.

My wife is very good at this.

Here's an example :

We bought 5 loks last year for 80,000 each. Total 400,000.

My wife changed the papers from ToBo5 to Chanote.

(Granted, she knows many people and some money did change hands)

That said, the land is now for sale for 1,2 m.

We will likely sell it for around 1 million.

Total money spent 450,000.

Total time spent (well it's not sold yet but will be soon for sure, we've already had a few offers in the 800,000 area) 10 months so far.

Bear in mind, it takes a special kind of person to do this kind of business.

This is only one of the many things we do here.

Just tossing ideas out there.

I know that for some Falang with Thai wives they complain that it is hard to earn income here.

I have not found that to be true.

Just sayin' wai.gif

He is probably changing dirty diapers and lamenting all that disposable income will now be disposed of by the creature in the diaper. His sleep, independence, fun and money are all a thing of the past.sad.png

And/or reflecting on fun hypotheticals like, gee, if I had just saved a measly 10k/mo for the past 3 years, I would have a nice little baby birthing (or whatever) emergency fund right now vs. taking a hit on the monthly income all at once. facepalm.gif

Thailand isn't cheap.

Try buying a pint of Guinness or a leg of lamb from Foodland.

RAZZ

I think this post sort of highlights one of the main differences between the big budgets/small budgets.

A lot of people want things from home such as lamb and Guinness. Sure enough, those things are very expensive here. When you want those comforts your monthly expenses will be much larger. For those that have the money and are willing to spend it, why not? Nothing wrong with that.

Some people are happy living on Thai food, Thai booze, living in Thai neighborhoods etc. and live quite happily on a smaller budget. Nothing wrong with that either.

At the end of the day, it's each individual's business what they do with their money, there's no right or wrong way about it.

• Like 1