Poll Regarding Expat Expenditure In Thailand

chiangmaibruce

How much have you spent in Thailand? A survey for expats who have lived here at least one year  

355 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

OK, hi, there have been quite a few threads along the lines of "How much money do I need to retire in Thailand?" or similar .. but I don't think there has been an actual poll on peoples' spending patterns.

I would like to try to firm up the feedback with a survey - even a fairly sloppy one like this - just to get some sort of handle on the $ impact of expats ... something which has also been debated here in TV

I have just written a paper looking at the whole issue of "how many expats are there in Thailand" and if I can generate or uncover some worthwhile expenditure figures then I might add this to the mix.

**If anyone has come across an article or report on the economic impact of expats in Thailand then please let me know about it**

I have asked that this be completed only by those who have lived in Thailand for at least a year. I can get statistics on average daily tourist spend from the Thai tourism dept. I would guess, and it's only a guess, that the expenditure patterns of short-stayers or new arrivals would be in the same ball-park as tourists.

Please not this is about money spent in Thailand, so don't include international trips for example. By "living expenses" I mean everything other than very major purchases, for example food, rent, insurance, petrol, school fees, etc

I think we can take it as granted that as soon as I hit "enter" I will see something I should have added or changed with the poll, but anyway let's give it a run and see what happens

Cheers

- CMB

Edited by chiangmaibruce

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Brucie.

Very well thought out poll indeed.

I have voted and it will be interesting to see the conclusion of this.

My guess is that it will be the majority of votes will be:

0-999 baht basic living expenses (per person/per day)

1 million-4.99 million baht spent on major items since you moved to Thailand

1 - 4 years years have you spent at least 180 days per year in Thailand

But I could be wrong. Lets wait and see.

The average expat here I think spends 60-70k a month from what I've read. Some poorer members may not report due to shame, some richer guys may report due to bragging. :rolleyes:

Some guys simply lie. :ph34r:

Thanks Brucie.

Very well thought out poll indeed.

I have voted and it will be interesting to see the conclusion of this.

My guess is that it will be the majority of votes will be:

0-999 baht basic living expenses (per person/per day)

1 million-4.99 million baht spent on major items since you moved to Thailand

1 - 4 years years have you spent at least 180 days per year in Thailand

But I could be wrong. Lets wait and see.

Spot on for most of them. I'm not surprised to see less moving out in the last four years though given exchange rates and the political situation in the country.

Less than 1k Baht a day yeah...I'd like to see a breakdown of such as rent bills and food or essential spends rather than the ovarall combined.

Other than that its an interesting poll.

Some poorer members may not report due to shame, some richer guys may report due to bragging.

Those points are totally silly. It is an ANONYMOUS poll!

I would have suggested for the first question saying EXCLUDING rent for people who do rent.

I think many people who do rent would tend to include daily rent in their basic daily expenses. If so, your poll becomes even more meaningless. Trust me, all thaivisa polls are meaningless, but some more than others.

Edited by Jingthing

The average expat here I think spends 60-70k a month from what I've read. Some poorer members may not report due to shame, some richer guys may report due to bragging. :rolleyes:

That's a stupid statement if ever I've seen one. 60/70k a month maybe easily in BKK if you live the high life, slightly less in other major cities. Much less out in the sticks! Shame/bragging??

Showing ignorance there Chops, sry.

That's a stupid statement if ever I've seen one. 60/70k a month maybe easily in BKK if you live the high life, slightly less in other major cities. Much less out in the sticks! Shame/bragging??

Showing ignorance there Chops, sry.

Most couples I know here in Pattaya are in the 50-90k/month range. Some a bit less, some quite a bit more. They don't live the high life. And live just outside Pattaya. Lots of things can jack up your expenditures. Health care/meds, car and payments, house/maintenance, maid, kids, etc. It adds up fast! :(

Just a question re major expenditure on real estate purchase only or does rent over many years count?

Yes, rent surely counts. I have suggested including rent under daily living expenses though.

And with the "major expenses", think of things you can't put on a plane and take back to farangland

The fun thing is i can make it as expensive / cheap as i want to.

I put myself on a budget because as i was starting to make more money i was starting to spend more too. I like to save.

If i cook for myself it cost a lot more then when i go out to eat in one of these village restaurants. If im in the mood ill go into BKK and eat the more expensive stuff. But you can control it all.

Same with housing actually, though I dont think i could survive in the center of BKK. I love living a bit outside and its much cheaper.

I got a couple of bikes and a car so i don't have to spend much on transport (not that taxi's are expensive here).

I can see some expats on high salaries spending loads on living and food or some on girls. If you got an independent girl (one that makes money and contributes instead of using yours) Things work out a lot cheaper. It does cut down on the selection of girls of course. You wont be able to sport that coyote stripper and expect her to chip in :D

What is your total spend on basic living expenses (per person/per day) in Thailand?

This is the biggest question... basic living expenses to me is what is spent per month on food, but would people that rent add the rent? electric? water. Mobile phone? Internet? house phone? Insurances? petrol/diesel? Taxi? etc etc, and then of course there is the Visa, you cannot live here without a Visa, if single then that alone is 2,200 per day..

Also where you live, I have been to a market in BKK, most everything is 2 - 4 times more expensive then my local Village market.. A single 3 bedroom house around here is 2 - 4 million, BKK add another 0... The odd houses for rent around here 3 - 5,000 baht per month, again in BKK add another 0

What is your total spend on basic living expenses (per person/per day) in Thailand?

So I have 3 mouths to feed (and a bar to support 5555) on a regular basis so I assume I divide my daily expenditure by 3? Which I've done so 0-999 Baht! My average daily expenditure here in Thailand over the past 10 years has been around USD $55.00. Does not include air travel, capital expenditure etc.

Lots of things can jack up your expenditures. Health care/meds, car and payments, house/maintenance, maid, kids, etc. It adds up fast!

Hmm.

No health problems (yet), no car, no house or maintenance (currently I rent, and even when I do buy it will be a condo so no expenses there either), no maid (someone does all that in my monthly rental), no kids.

I don't see how I could spend more than 1000B a day even if I wanted to, except by becoming an alcoholic.

And you forgot to list the really big source of increased expenditure, and I don't have one of those either: no wife. :)

....then of course there is the Visa, you cannot live here without a Visa, if single then that alone is 2,200 per day..

Huh?

I pay under 2000B a year (even including expenses), or 6B per day.

Edited by Darrel

looking at some of the figures quoted this poll must be for tourists apart from my the first 2years in thailand ,living in retirement what would the average expat spend 60-70k a month on[must be the extended family]

Most couples I know here in Pattaya are in the 50-90k/month range.

Each?

Ha! No, that is per couple...though I do know some couples who do spend 100k or so each, and more! Lucky dogs...

100k a month EACH!... Far out.

Obviously some costs are the same such as rent and power while food, drink and visa would not be but I doubt I could spend half that even though I live alone.. unless I was just giving money away.

In my OP I mentioned:

"I have asked that this be completed only by those who have lived in Thailand for at least a year. I can get statistics on average daily tourist spend from the Thai tourism dept. I would guess, and it's only a guess, that the expenditure patterns of short-stayers or new arrivals would be in the same ball-park as tourists."

In case anyone is curious, from Jan-Dec 2010 international visitors to Thailand spent on average 4,079 baht per day, with an average length of stay of 9.12 days

Don't live there yet, but study these threads to develop our budget (married to a Thai Lady)

My biggest expenditure, since we will be retiring, is travel and fun.

We don't pub it every night, not golfers, don't need a castle, so other than fun it's pretty basic.

Me again. In my original post I also mentioned that I had drafted a paper about the number of foreigners living in Thailand.

On reflection I thought it might be interesting to share this with you and get some feedback before it's finalised - particularly if any of you know of information sources that I haven't already mentioned in it. You can find a copy of my paper at http://www.burning-bison.com/expats.htm

Cheers

Lots of things can jack up your expenditures. Health care/meds, car and payments, house/maintenance, maid, kids, etc. It adds up fast!

Hmm.

No health problems (yet), no car, no house or maintenance (currently I rent, and even when I do buy it will be a condo so no expenses there either), no maid (someone does all that in my monthly rental), no kids.

I don't see how I could spend more than 1000B a day even if I wanted to, except by becoming an alcoholic.

And you forgot to list the really big source of increased expenditure, and I don't have one of those either: no wife. :)

Actually, wifey saves me a bunch of money. I don't eat out, don't really go to the bars...just stay at home, eat awesome food...and play here!

100k a month EACH!... Far out.

Obviously some costs are the same such as rent and power while food, drink and visa would not be but I doubt I could spend half that even though I live alone.. unless I was just giving money away.

Rent and power are definitely not the same. If you have a huge home, it's going to cost a bunch more...especially with kids in each room watching TV and playing their Wii.

Cars are another. A Benz costs a lot more to maintain than a Honda....

looking at some of the figures quoted this poll must be for tourists apart from my the first 2years in thailand ,living in retirement what would the average expat spend 60-70k a month on[must be the extended family]

if you golf and want to play reasonable courses 2-3 times per week tha could be anything from 3-9k per week or 12 - 36k per month then plus all of the other expenses.

A Benz costs a lot more to maintain than a Honda....

Stay tuned for more of craig's mindblowing revelations such as " water is wet ", "the sun is hot and pretty far away " and " sticking razor blades down your Japeye really hurts " :D

A Benz costs a lot more to maintain than a Honda....

Stay tuned for more of craig's mindblowing revelations such as " water is wet ", "the sun is hot and pretty far away " and " sticking razor blades down your Japeye really hurts " :D

Actually Honda are pretty well known for needing expensive parts as only the genuine thing available, unless that's changed in the last couple of years whereas Benz parts quite cheap certainly in proportion to cost of the car.

Meanwhile back on topic, education for your children can send those figures off the stratosphere, is that a basic living expense or a major item. I must admit I didn't really include it in either, if I sat down and added it up it would probably bump me off the poll!

That's a stupid statement if ever I've seen one. 60/70k a month maybe easily in BKK if you live the high life

60/70k a month in BKK will hardly get you the high-life in BKK. Depends what your definition of high-life is.

Highlife rentals alone in BKK for example are in the 100k-300k a month in the high end areas.