How much do u spend for a good life in Thailand.

Really depends how you want to live.

Me:

Rent 50k

Everybody, as he can afford it or likes it. tongue.png

I have an Expat here in my Amphur, who until recently lived in house he rented for 500.- Baht a month, now after some years the rent had to go up.

Now he pays 1.000.- Baht. rolleyes.gif

affordable homes are indeed available:

attachicon.gifaffordable home.jpg

You in the dog house again Dr.Naam?

Fletch smile.png

lucky me... we don't have a dog house Fletch wink.png

• Like 1

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well i can, its the market that dictates the prices,

and who in his right mind is going to squat over a hole in the ground while taking a dump,

-if there is any way at all to avoid it ?

"and who in his right mind is going to squat over a hole in the ground while taking a dump,"

2 Billion people on earth ? Or more ! rolleyes.gif

more! some not even over a hole sick.gif

• Like 1

Well i can, its the market that dictates the prices,

and who in his right mind is going to squat over a hole in the ground while taking a dump,

-if there is any way at all to avoid it ?

"and who in his right mind is going to squat over a hole in the ground while taking a dump,"

2 Billion people on earth ? Or more ! rolleyes.gif

more! some not even over a hole sick.gif

Indeed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xe1a1wHxTyo

• Like 1

couldnt he just put a western toilet over the hole? can't cost much considering how little he is paying in rent.

He most certainly could. Must smell like roses in there.LOL Isn't this thread about how much for a GOOD life in Thailand? That guy in BKK on 20K for a family of 3 is living a dream life. Why that 25K includes nappies, a trip to mrs Issan home, alcohol and luxury food items. Why he said he couldn't possibly spend more than 30K if he tried. I'll pass this one over to neversure. LOL

"Must smell like roses in there.LOL"

Why? The system is the same as in any other toilet, the difference is only, that you cannot sit on it and you have to flush with a water bucket.

Its not only a "outhouse". I remember such "outhouses" 45 years ago in my neighborhood in the Austrian countryside.

But that is a completely different thing! rolleyes.gif

Edited by ALFREDO

Present USD/Baht forex = 70.3k/mo target.

Food/Shopping: 8k

Electric/water: 5.6k

Petrol MBs: 500

Petrol cars: 4k

Inet: 1k

Phones: 800

Sin items for me: 4k

Wife incidentals: 5k

Pets/food: 2k

-- 30.9k/mo --

*Long term obligations amortized/accrued monthly: 17.5k

-- 48.4k/mo --

I'm sure we could make it work in the US but one or both of us might have to work. In our case, it's more about having a comfortable life of relative freedom without needing to work, rather than living to work and working to live. Honestly, couldn't envision myself having a life like this just yet, but now we've seen it's working out, can't imagine going back.

I might be sorry i asked, but what are "sin items for me?goof.gif

couldnt he just put a western toilet over the hole? can't cost much considering how little he is paying in rent.

He most certainly could. Must smell like roses in there.LOL. Isn't this thread about how much for a GOOD life in Thailand? That guy in BKK on 20K for a family of 3 is living a dream life. Why that 25K includes nappies, a trip to mrs Issan home, alcohol and luxury food items. Why he said he couldn't possibly spend more than 30K if he tried. I'll pass this one over to neversure. LOL

I am living a realistic life, but certainly still a good life!

"A dream life" would be to earn enough money to spend 150-200k per month (like some guys on here say they do) and still be able to save money for the future.

I would like to know exactly what's their job? How much do they save after spending such amounts? And do they consider themselves to be an 'average working Joe' or not?

I can tell you that most 'average working Joes' living in the UK earn between (the equivalent of) 50k - 100k (THB) per month - and that's before 20% tax. So i don't know how it's considered normal to earn 3 or 4 times that in Thailand. If you are - then you're one of the few! clap2.gif

Edited by ChrisB87

"A dream life" would be to earn enough money to spend 150-200k per month (like some guys on here say they do) and still be able to save money for the future.

I would like to know exactly what's their job? How much do they save after spending such amounts? And do they consider themselves to be an 'average working Joe' or not?

I can tell you that most 'average working Joes' living in the UK earn between (the equivalent of) 50k - 100k (THB) per month - and that's before 20% tax. So i don't know how it's considered normal to earn 3 or 4 times that in Thailand. If you are - then you're one of the few! clap2.gif

why do you assume that those who spent several hundred thousand Baht a month have a job and are working? huh.png

but should they work they are definitely not "average Joes".

why do you assume that those who spent several hundred thousand Baht a month have a job and are working? huh.png

Most management jobs for expats (and management as opposed to hands on is the norm) I have seen posted by head hunters here in Thailand appear to start around 150K and up. Last time I got serious about looking for a job (about 4 years ago) the one I was shortlisted for was offering 250 - 300K plus other benefits and this was not a large multinational company. As I now run my own manufacturing business I have no need to look so I am a little out of touch with salaries. You have to also consider that a qualified professional Thai engineer in his forties with reasonable English can usually make 80 - 90K per Month, sometimes a lot more.

-- 30.9k/mo --

-- 48.4k/mo --

I'm sure we could make it work in the US but one or both of us might have to work. In our case, it's more about having a comfortable life of relative freedom without needing to work, rather than living to work and working to live. Honestly, couldn't envision myself having a life like this just yet, but now we've seen it's working out, can't imagine going back.

A couple beers once a week, and far too many smokes. sad.png

-- 30.9k/mo --

-- 48.4k/mo --

A couple beers once a week, and far too many smokes. sad.png

Most management jobs for expats (and management as opposed to hands on is the norm) I have seen posted by head hunters here in Thailand appear to start around 150K and up. Last time I got serious about looking for a job (about 4 years ago) the one I was shortlisted for was offering 250 - 300K plus other benefits and this was not a large multinational company. As I now run my own manufacturing business I have no need to look so I am a little out of touch with salaries. You have to also consider that a qualified professional Thai engineer in his forties with reasonable English can usually make 80 - 90K per Month, sometimes a lot more.

Most working expats do not earn 150k plus. Most working expats are not managers of multinational companies. The categories you mention are definitely the minority.

The majority are teachers getting between 30-40k at government schools or 50k plus at international schools. If they happen to teach a subject like math or science, rather than English at international school, then they might get 100k plus.

150k in Britain (3k GBP) is considerably more than the average salary and 250 - 300k (5k - 6k GBP) would be considered a pretty high wage. Is there any explanation why these types of salaries would be normal for expats in Thailand, but not for citizens in the UK?

Most working expats do not earn 150k plus. Most working expats are not managers of multinational companies. The categories you mention are definitely the minority.

The majority are teachers getting between 30-40k at government schools or 50k plus at international schools. If they happen to teach a subject like math or science, rather than English at international school, then they might get 100k plus.

150k in Britain (3k GBP) is considerably more than the average salary and 250 - 300k (5k - 6k GBP) would be considered a pretty high wage. Is there any explanation why these types of salaries would be normal for expats in Thailand, but not for citizens in the UK?

what is your problem ChrisB87? you mentioned that some people claim that they spend THB 200k/month and based on that you come up with irrelevant amounts what the average Joe in UK earns and what you think Thai salaries are. and you keep on with your irrelevant numbers, e.g. what teachers in Thailand earn.

fact is that nobody said a word about working in Thailand and spending a few hundred thousand monthly. let me add another fact. i know somebody who stopped working nearly 24 years ago and spends much more than 200k Baht monthly. he does not look like a manager of a multinational company but rather like an average Joe when i see him two or three times a week... looking into the mirror when i shave.

p.s. he also sleeps with my wife tongue.png

5-6kGBP per month would not be considered a "pretty high wage" unless you and your circle of friends/family are only earning half that.

6 years ago when I was last employed by a UK company I was earning a lot more than that and I was only a mid level "senior" manager. Many people I knew had significantly higher salaries. You are forgetting that the average is just that and there are many workers earning significantly less than the average for lots of reasons. These people are unlikely to be offered jobs working abroad and if a MNC or even a Thai company wants to import experience (because they cannot find it locally or any other reason) they are going to have to pay to make it worthwhile for that expat to move.

5-6kGBP per month would not be considered a "pretty high wage" unless you and your circle of friends/family are only earning half that.

6 years ago when I was last employed by a UK company I was earning a lot more than that and I was only a mid level "senior" manager. Many people I knew had significantly higher salaries. You are forgetting that the average is just that and there are many workers earning significantly less than the average for lots of reasons. These people are unlikely to be offered jobs working abroad and if a MNC or even a Thai company wants to import experience (because they cannot find it locally or any other reason) they are going to have to pay to make it worthwhile for that expat to move.

There is obviously wide variations in income between Countries. The average adult income in Australia is AUD5,833.00 per Month (163,500 Baht) so someone from Australia transferred to work in Thailand as an expat should expect to earn that plus a reasonable amount more. In reality their Australian salary would be a lot higher than that as a person on the average salary is unlikely to be transferred to Thailand by their company which is why I would end up at probably 250K + as an average. If a person chooses to come and teach in Thailand or do anything else at a salary that is the same or less than what they earn in their home Country then that is a lifestyle decision and could just as well be applied to a backpacker that comes here and lives on a few hundred Baht a day.

All of this comes back to the fact that "How much do you spend to live a good life in Thailand" solely depends on how much you earn and what you consider "a good life', in most cases, governed by your income. In other words there are no Norms. For myself, I maintain that for it to be a good life in Thailand it needs to be better than what I had in Australia which is the case and for a lot less than what I spent in Australia. was the position reversed I would probably move back to Australia as I see no benefit to staying in Thailand.

what is your problem ChrisB87? you mentioned that some people claim that they spend THB 200k/month and based on that you come up with irrelevant amounts what the average Joe in UK earns and what you think Thai salaries are. and you keep on with your irrelevant numbers, e.g. what teachers in Thailand earn.

fact is that nobody said a word about working in Thailand and spending a few hundred thousand monthly. let me add another fact. i know somebody who stopped working nearly 24 years ago and spends much more than 200k Baht monthly. he does not look like a manager of a multinational company but rather like an average Joe when i see him two or three times a week... looking into the mirror when i shave.

p.s. he also sleeps with my wife tongue.png

Thanks for pointing out i have a problem smile.png, but i am only trying to illustrate how i am not living in a dream world, as someone here claimed. It is indeed possible to live a 'good life' on 25 - 30k here in Bangkok (even with a child) and i am in no way dreaming. In fact, i consider a dream life to be able to enjoy 200k+ every month (dream life meant in a good way, of course). And the figures i am producing is to show that this type of spending is not possible for the average expat in Thailand, nor the average citizen in the UK (probably not the average person anywhere on earth).

If you consider this to be normal, then you must mean within your own social circle, not for the more common social circles.

There is only one person i have ever met who could spend like this if he wanted to, yet he only spends 40k, living the life of a single expat in BKK, and by no means scrimping (in my view): he drinks 4 times per week (twice in Sukhumvit and twice at the local Thai place) and he stays in a brand new fully furnished condo with living room, bedroom, kitchen, bathroom, balcony, communal swimming, gym, sauna, squash court and rooftop gardens for just 15k per month and didn't even haggle on the price! Before that he rented a 5 star hotel room by the month in Sukhumvit - it cost 50k obviously.

Like someone else correctly pointed out: "normal" is subjective, as is "good". burp.gif

Again, just to point out, i don't have a problem with people being well-off enough to splurge, but i thought this thread may have been open for comment by the average expat enjoying what he thinks is a "good life".

Edited by ChrisB87
  • Like 1

Anyone claiming their expenses are 75% less than their own country , but lifestyle is very similiar , I simply dont believe.

I live in Phuket with tg and 3 year old at Kindergarten.

We spend between 70 and 80k a month.

This is a simple and lazy middle-middle class lifestyle with a few holidays , a pickup , 3 scooters and new rented home.

We dont work but the day seems to go quick enough.

Anyone claiming their expenses are 75% less than their own country , but lifestyle is very similiar , I simply dont believe.

This is a simple and lazy middle-middle class lifestyle with a few holidays , a pickup , 3 scooters and new rented home.

Just curious - could you have this same life, lifestyle and relative quality of life in your home country without working?

i can assure that our life style is much better than it would be in our home country and that we spend for that life style not a single Penny/Baht/Satang. fact is that there are some expense items (e.g. multiple domestic staff) which we wouldn't be able to afford at "home" where a single full-time household help is already a quite a drain on the finances.

fact is also that all our expenses (and more) are covered by the taxes which we do not pay to Herr Wolfgang Schäuble (Germany's present finance minister).

summary: in a mathematical pervert way i claim that our expenses are more than 100% less.

i can assure that our life style is much better than it would be in our home country and that we spend for that life style not a single Penny/Baht/Satang. fact is that there are some expense items (e.g. multiple domestic staff) which we wouldn't be able to afford at "home" where a single full-time household help is already a quite a drain on the finances.

fact is also that all our expenses (and more) are covered by the taxes which we do not pay to Herr Wolfgang Schäuble (Germany's present finance minister).

summary: in a mathematical pervert way i claim that our expenses are more than 100% less.

Totally agree, even working here and owning a business. In Oz I would be paying 3x more personal tax and nearly 2x more company tax. Plus I haven't ironed a shirt or cleaned a bathroom in 5 years. Having the domestic help is one of the major pluses of Thailand. Maid here 350 - 400 baht a day, in Oz 750 baht an hour.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

How much longer do you expect that to last?

define "that" please. do you mean...

-Thailand's tax friendly attitude towards offshore earnings?

-the time span till Thai housemaids/cooks/gardeners earn 600-800 Baht an hour as do German ones?

-European Union member states copying the Greatest Nation on Earth™ which taxes its citizens irrespective of their residence?

Before that he rented a 5 star hotel room by the month in Sukhumvit - it cost 50k obviously.

Blimey, can someone tell me where this is.....I'll move in tomorrow!

St Regis: 381,000 baht for a suite excluding taxes for the month

Four Seasons: about the same give or take

Peninsular: a bargain.......368,000 baht! But it's on the river.....so no sale :-D

Before that he rented a 5 star hotel room by the month in Sukhumvit - it cost 50k obviously.

Blimey, can someone tell me where this is.....I'll move in tomorrow!

St Regis: 381,000 baht for a suite excluding taxes for the month

Four Seasons: about the same give or take

Peninsular: a bargain.......368,000 baht! But it's on the river.....so no sale :-D

Err, none of those hotels are on Suk?

By "5*" he probably means a place like The President Solitaire which probably something around 50k a month.

RAZZ