Thai students and correction fluid

I've seen it in both the Thai schools where I've taught. And I agree (not with the poster, sorry) that it is not a big deal. That's my opinion. I often think of a couple things when I see cultural differences here in Thailand from what I am accustomed to back home: 1) "community standards" 2) "When in Rome, do as the Romans do."

It's just frustrating to try to change much here. Be glad if the students learn something, that's how I look at it. In fact, I am glad if a few of the students learn something.

I've come to admire their neat penmanship (tho' certainly not all students have that!). And if you want them to take notes on what you say rather than what you write on the board..... well, you'd best write that on the board too!

wai2.gif

Edited by friendphil

I finally got so sick and tired of the tremendous waste of time that the liquid paper created that I banned the use of pens in all my classes.

I even supply pencils and erasers if the students don't have them.

The increased productivity is noticable!

Pawpcorn

• Like 1

I will not have it ( liquid paper) used in my classes, cross out your mistakes and view the correction then you remember .

We all have to make mistakes to learn, No liquid, mistake seen and not repeated, Liquid used mistake not seen and mistake repeated.

In my schooldays, ( primary and grammar school) albeit many moons ago we were not even allowed to erase our mistakes, Cross out the error write the correction, however we did have dictionaries and ''rough work books'' that we used as draft runs hence errors were in general minimal.

As an aside I started life as a lefthander however that was deemed wrong.,Thus at primary school the right hand was used to write.

The result even now resembles the ink sodden footprints of a drunken spider meandering all over the page.

Thank goodness fo typewriters followed by word processors and now computers.facepalm.giflaugh.png

It is a product of the face cultural phenomena. Like their parents, all thai students want to show that they have more money than their peers. Thus, in schools emphasis is placed on being seen with as many consumables as possible. Liquid paper and pencil refills are two relevant examples...later in life these students will move up the face ladder and the stationary will be replaced with phones, tablets, and cars...

Well there are some strong opinions on here.

As a teacher who is trying to teach students how to study, I have banned the use of 'liquid' in my classroom for years and students must work in pen and correct their own work in red, crossing out mistakes with a simple line. Liquid makes an utter mess and wastes a lot of time. In fact students use it as an avoidance technique. I have to agree with the posters who have talked about learning from your mistakes. Reviewing work including the mistakes made seems to me to be an important part of learning study skills and the content. As much as I think I can't really come up with the benefit in obliterating mistakes. Additionally, the pursuit of the 'one right answer' to me seems contrary to the principles of critical thinking.

Of course, it's horses for courses, I certainly wouldn't expect to get a final project with crossings-out, although I probably would accept it as long as it was neatly done and with a ruler. People have been talking about application forms and such, and similarly the recipients expect them to be of a high standard. When you're displaying your 'best work' then there isn't really any place for corrections.

I also have to disagree to an extent with the idea that it's not cultural. I have spent some time in Kindy and observed Thai teachers taking work off students and doing it themselves because in their own words 'it wasn't beautiful enough'. As far as I can tell this promotes the type of thinking that leads to the rampant use of fluid in Thai classrooms.

Of course 'white-out' and 'whitewash' have some similarities that could take us entirely off topic with regard to modern Thai society.

The other day I found an amusing technique being employed by a new student to the school- when we discussed the answers to questions, she tippexed out her errors and wrote in the correct answers. That made me smile.

• Like 1

I've taught EFL/ESL for 20 years in Japan and Hong Kong.

I think this is a Japanese thing. The idea to strive for "perfection".

They spend more time on that then actually learning. Seen exact thing in Hong Kong.

BTW, I'm looking for a teaching job in Koh Samui.

Could anybody point a finger in the right direction for me?

Thx!

Yes the metaphor is inescapable.

Everything undesirable can be blanked out. It's as easy as rewriting history, or changing the constitution.

I disagree entirely. The Thai way is not to seek to correct the blemish...it is to simply ignore it exists.

Seriously, is this really a problem for you guys!!! Yes they use it all over Isaan too. As well as teachers use it too. I am surpriced that you even bother to react over this non important thing.

The reason for using it is exactly the very same reason that we used it for during the 70:ies... To correct fault and mistakes and maks it

looks good even though it was corrected.

I have absolutely no problem with it....... "Up to them"

Glegolo

Man, you are in serious need, of some liquid paper, yourself.

Rule #3 in my class Teacher sees Liquid, Teacher takes it away.

Nothing to do with time or that just that i have noticed quite a few times that student will put the right answer down and then because their friend has a different answer they will white it out.

I give half points and will show the scratched out answer as correct.

It is definitely a neatness thing. in my class if it is draw a line between the rulers come out with the coloured pencils or pens.

It's style over substance and appearance is very important. It is used extensively where I work. Students' handwriting must be neat.

Even if they have no clue what they are writing, it better look good blink.png

• Like 1

In reply to the teacher whose students set their white out alight, I can't help wondering what they use as a solvent.

Years ago, a non-flammable solvent was used. It was 'Trilene', also used as an anaesthetic. This did not go un-noticed by the students and it soon had to be replaced with a water based product.