The hype about coconut oil for weight loss, is it for real?

Jingthing

I'm talking a about intermittent fasting which is if implemented properly a lifestyle choice not a fad diet. 5-2 is just an interpretation of intermittent fasting.

Just like Crossfit or grit are two interpretations of high intensity interval training. They can be done the right way or the wrong way up to the user.

Lots of supplements are downright dangerous and a few might be good.

Anyways we can agree to disagree. I just don't think dismissing something because some quack doctors write tabloid articles saying you can eat bacon all day and then starve yourself the next is a correct way of looking at intermittent fasting.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I get your position. You are asserting the 5/2 isn't just another diet and/or fad diet and thus doesn't come under the FACTS about what we already know about the massive failure rates of ALL diets. That's fine. I don't agree. I don't see any compelling evidence the 5/2 doesn't fit under the category -- DIETS. Be clear I am dissing ALL weight reduction plan diets, not only fad diets. Cheers.

Edited by Jingthing

It has never been scientifically proven that dietary fat causes you to be fat. The real culprit is carbs. That is why the Atkins diet works a lot of protein and the associated fat that goes with it and cabs. limited to fresh vegetables.

The culprit is calories, not carbs. So fat at 9 calories per gram, and sugar (carbs) at 4 calories per gram taken in large quantities (e.g. soft drink, Oishi, blended milk drinks with tonnes of sugar, ice cream) are some of the worst.

I get your position. You are asserting the 5/2 isn't just another diet and/or fad diet and thus doesn't come under the FACTS about what we already know about the massive failure rates of ALL diets. That's fine. I don't agree. I don't see any compelling evidence the 5/2 doesn't fit under the category -- DIETS. Be clear I am dissing ALL weight reduction plan diets, not only fad diets. Cheers.

A reference for your statement. The top 2 lines show strict diets and the bounceback after ceasing, and the bottom 2 lines show strict diets combined with exercise and the smaller bounceback on ceasing (I believe the exercise continued without the diet).

exercive-versus-no-exercise-diet-bounce-

The culprit is calories, not carbs.

No.

LOL. How many times have you said that?

I'll bet my bottom dollar if you eat too much fat and protein, you'll still get fat.

Anyway, I stay lean by regulating how much I eat, not restricting any particular macronutrient. If I eat too much carb, I'll cut back on the others or visa versa.

One thing is hard to deny, carbs can be hard to resist. A moderate carb diet is more pleasant than a very low one.

Hunger hormones ultimately win over willpower. Moderate carb'ing will make the battle easier.

Edited by tropo

No.

I think you can take the carb thing too far.

If you are just talking about weight historically before the recent obesity crisis in the west most people were not over weight and yet they ate plenty of carbs.

The obesity crisis has probably more to do with abundance of cheap fast food, degradation of the food chain, and computer life styles than to carb consumption per se.

No.

LOL. How many times have you said that?

I'll enjoy such needling as long as people keep repeating that ignorant, naive calories in/calories out theory that has so much common sense appeal for the average ignoramus.

But, I'm going to stay away from discussions--no point in it. People either can't or won't read any primary sources--and even if they did, will pay no attention and keep repeating themselves.

:)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just like to add that I have been on the 5:2 diet since January this year, when I weighed 103 kgs.

Intermittent fasting really does work, but importantly it suits my lifestyle. I only have to really think about what I eat twice a week where I eat no more than 600 calories When I started I expected that I may binge on the days following the fast, but that really doesnt happen. In fact, the process of closely monitoring my food intake twice a week means that i am much more aware of what I eat throughout the rest of the week too.

Today I weigh 91kgs. In fact I just got back from a trip top the UK where my weight jumped up to 94kgs, so have lost 3Kgs in two weeks, before I left for my holiday I was at 89Kgs, I know without a shadow of a doubt that I will lose those two extra kilos and continue my downward trajectory to my target weight of 85Kgs which I am quite confident I will achieve my October.

I must also add that, as I started to lose weight I hit a plateau around March at about 97kgs so I then took up running and I havent looked back.

What follows is a graph of my weightloss journey which is tracked by my Withing wifi scale which I purchased in April, hence more measurements after that time. :

2sa7.png

Oh and just to keep it on topic, Im a big fan of Thai food cooked with coconut oil. It makes it so much healthier (coconut oil handles heat much better) and gives dishes a new leash of life, phad see eiw with coconut poil is great (and yup you can eat that on a 5:2 diet and still lose weight, the proof is in graph above).

2,000 calories and my weight doesn't change.

That's easy for you then. Just add in some exercise and keep consuming 2000 calories per day. It doesn't matter what time of the day you eat them. Not eating way before bed disrupts a good night's sleep as I tend to wake up early if I'm hungry. Something light an hour or two before sleep is perfect. A protein drink works very well for me.

Just like to add that I have been on the 5:2 diet since January this year, when I weighed 103 kgs.

Intermittent fasting really does work, but importantly it suits my lifestyle. I only have to really think about what I eat twice a week where I eat no more than 600 calories When I started I expected that I may binge on the days following the fast, but that really doesnt happen. In fact, the process of closely monitoring my food intake twice a week means that i am much more aware of what I eat throughout the rest of the week too.

Today I weigh 91kgs. In fact I just got back from a trip top the UK where my weight jumped up to 94kgs, so have lost 3Kgs in two weeks, before I left for my holiday I was at 89Kgs, I know without a shadow of a doubt that I will lose those two extra kilos and continue my downward trajectory to my target weight of 85Kgs which I am quite confident I will achieve my October.

I must also add that, as I started to lose weight I hit a plateau around March at about 97kgs so I then took up running and I havent looked back.

What follows is a graph of my weightloss journey which is tracked by my Withing wifi scale which I purchased in April, hence more measurements after that time. :

2sa7.png

Your story left me wondering why you're so fixated on a kilogram weight target. I would suggest that you get a DEXA scan done whenever you're in the UK, so you can track your bodyfat percentage and have a better idea of what weight you want to be. There's no point losing muscle to reach a weight goal and unless you get your percentages checked, you'll never know where you are.

For example, I'm 105 kg at 12% bodyfat right now. That might seem like a lot of weight, but, other than stripping a few percent off there's not much fat to lose unless I wanted to become an underwear model sporting a sharp 6- pack..., so my weight is fairly close to ideal at 105 kg. Last year I was 102 kg at 9% bodyfat. I really don't have a lot of spare weight unless I want to strip muscle and I work too hard for that to want to start losing it.

A DEXA scan is the best method of testing bodyfat currently available to the public. You should be able to find a lab with a scanner somewhere in the UK. I get it done whenever I return to :Australia. Unfortunately we have no idea if this can be done in Thailand.

I just started using coconut oil for all my cooking at home. I read somehere that it is the healthiest oil you will find. Before I used sunflower oil since its odorless.

So I went to Friendship market and 1 litre of Thai coconut cooking oil is 150 baht.

Now I have learned that all seed oils like sunflower , soybean, corn etc. contains too much Omega-6 fatty acids which is really bad for your health .

Coconut oil is naturally high in saturated fat , about 90% of calories as saturated fat ! But today we know its not bad for your health , it protects you against diseases and give you other health benefits such as weight loss .

Check out this article :

The healthiest oil for cooking

Edited by balo

Oh and just to keep it on topic, Im a big fan of Thai food cooked with coconut oil. It makes it so much healthier (coconut oil handles heat much better) and gives dishes a new leash of life, phad see eiw with coconut poil is great (and yup you can eat that on a 5:2 diet and still lose weight, the proof is in graph above).

I cooked a vegetable dish for my wife a few days ago using coconut oil I bought for my own consumption.. She didn't know I used coconut oil when she ate it, but commented that the dish was the best one I'd made so far. She's got expensive taste - at about 550 baht per litre for virgin oil.

I just started using coconut oil for all my cooking at home. I read somehere that it is the healthiest oil you will find. Before I used sunflower oil since its odorless.

So I went to Friendship market and 1 litre of Thai coconut cooking oil is 150 baht.

Now I have learned that all seed oils like sunflower , soybean, corn etc. contains too much Omega-6 fatty acids which is really bad for your health .

Coconut oil is naturally high in saturated fat , about 90% of calories as saturated fat ! But today we know its not bad for your health , it protects you against diseases and give you other health benefits such as weight loss .

Check out this article :

The healthiest oil for cooking

When you're cooking at high heat the less unsaturated fats in the oil the better. Once you apply heat to highly unsaturated fats such as omega 3 and 6, the unsaturated carbon bonds immediately become oxidized, causing toxic byproducts. Carbon double bonds (C=C) are extremely fragile when exposed to heat. It's absurd to suggest cooking with unsaturated fats. If an oil browns up or burns, it has become toxic.

Saturated carbon bonds (C-C) are stable in heat. This is why coconut oil is good to cook with. It's not the nutritional value of the oil that counts when you're cooking with an oil, but the stability to heat.

I would be wary of anything which claims to specificly target fat reduction on a specific body part. That for me would be a big red flag.

Yes, normally I would agree. But I've got an open mind. So many people swear by the stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4vtNzmeFn4

1. Helps with weight loss

In a study undertaken in 2009 it was shown that there is a link between consuming coconut oil and the reduction in abdominal fat.

It is easy to digest and helps to protect your body from insulin resistance.

5. Can boost your metabolism

A study by the Journal of Nutrition has shown that coconut oil can boost the metabolism.

As we all know having a fast metabolism ensures you are burning

You can not "spot" reduce fat. Unless you do lipo suction. We are all genetically predisposed to excess fat going where our DNA tells it to go. People think if you do hundreds of sit ups you'll burn fat around your abs. That's not true. The easiest way would be to get lipo suction. It's cheap in Bangkok. The other way to lose belly fat is to change your eating habits. :( Exercise or do some physical activity at least an hour a day. Find a sport or fun physical activity. Going to the gym sucks. But you need to build muscle. Sweating on the eliptical or treadmill won't do you much good. I also found eating whole foods and non processed foods really changed my health quite a bit. Avoid sugars !! Good luck.!

Some more about the science behind why diets do NOT work.

I realize many people grow up being fed the myth that diets are the ONLY things that work.

But actually, for most people, they would have been better off to have NEVER gone on a so called diet.

However, "dieting" remains a huge profit making industry but that has no relation to their effectiveness. Actually the opposite. If too many people solved their obesity problems, there goes the customers!

"Diets are not effective in treating obesity," said Mann. "We are recommending that Medicare should not fund weight-loss programs as a treatment for obesity. The benefits of dieting are too small and the potential harm is too large for dieting to be recommended as a safe, effective treatment for obesity."

http://newsroom.ucla.edu/portal/ucla/dieting-does-not-work-ucla-researchers-7832.aspx

People also think that eating less will help them to lose weight. That is halfway the truth. If you start eating less, your metabolism slows down substantially. Your goal is to increase your metabolisim to burn more calories and fat. Increasing muscle mass will always increase your metabolism. I generally follow low carb/ whole vegetable lifestyle. If you have a sweet tooth there are very easy ways to make alternative sweets. I like to make my own low carb peanut butter cups. SUPER easy to make.

Care to share the recipe?

http://dessert.food.com/recipe/low-carb-peanut-butter-cups-120053 This is the one i've been using for a while. It is simple and only a few ingredients. A lot cheaper than buying low carb treats. I would highly recommend making your own peanut butter if you're on a very restrictive low carb diet. You just don't know for sure what they have added in the peanut butter. Plus it's really easy to make yourself. I also substitute the splenda with stevia. This is up to you and your tastes though. Let me know how yours turn out!

Care to share the recipe?

http://dessert.food.com/recipe/low-carb-peanut-butter-cups-120053 This is the one i've been using for a while. It is simple and only a few ingredients. A lot cheaper than buying low carb treats. I would highly recommend making your own peanut butter if you're on a very restrictive low carb diet. You just don't know for sure what they have added in the peanut butter. Plus it's really easy to make yourself. I also substitute the splenda with stevia. This is up to you and your tastes though. Let me know how yours turn out!

That is not the recipe for peanut butter.

Hi guys. First post in this part of forum, thought I'd tell my experience. :)

*I* believe coconut oil helped me lose weight, along with a couple of other things. I lost 50kg last year. :)

I got very overweight when pregnant, lost a fair bit of it but not all before having second. The week number two was born, I was 120kg; I'm 175cm.

Part of the weightless was due to stress, partly going back to work and being more active. I also think that the coconut oil and cod liver oil helped.

I eat just about everything and I didn't stop eating anything though I was a lot better at having only one piece of cake or one cookie when before I'd eat nearly a whole pack.

The first thing I did was to stop eating crap after dinner. Was horrible at first, so hungry at night. A week after I started that a friend gave me a bottle of fermented cod liver oil. Within a couple of days I wasn't hungry at night, just like that. I only took 1-2ml at first, now I usually take 4ml but I'm slack at remembering every day.

I all ready had a 2kg tub of co which I used to cook popcorn in for the kids (sooooooo good, try it!) and it's my moisturiser. I put it on in the shower every day, just before I get out. So when I came across an article (or something) "eat fat to burn fat" I thought I'd give it a go.

I only ever took one teaspoon internally a day. The first time was at night and the next day I noticeably had a lot more energy. Did it help me lose 50kg? I think so but I can't really be sure, I'm no scientist! I know I don't do ANY exercise apart from running after kids. I'm not working now but was on feet running round for eight hours three days a week.

Sorry I can't give any more definitive answers. I don't take it every day now but when I do, I certainly notice a difference in energy and even my attitude for the day!

I'm pretty lucky over here and get mine in a co-op. a twenty litre tub of organic oil cost me $260AUD. I'm halfway through it....I give a tub away here and there to my mates as I'm a sucker. :P

• 3 weeks later...

2sa7.png

Your story left me wondering why you're so fixated on a kilogram weight target. I would suggest that you get a DEXA scan done whenever you're in the UK, so you can track your bodyfat percentage and have a better idea of what weight you want to be. There's no point losing muscle to reach a weight goal and unless you get your percentages checked, you'll never know where you are.

For example, I'm 105 kg at 12% bodyfat right now. That might seem like a lot of weight, but, other than stripping a few percent off there's not much fat to lose unless I wanted to become an underwear model sporting a sharp 6- pack..., so my weight is fairly close to ideal at 105 kg. Last year I was 102 kg at 9% bodyfat. I really don't have a lot of spare weight unless I want to strip muscle and I work too hard for that to want to start losing it.

A DEXA scan is the best method of testing bodyfat currently available to the public. You should be able to find a lab with a scanner somewhere in the UK. I get it done whenever I return to :Australia. Unfortunately we have no idea if this can be done in Thailand.

I dont get back to the UK often enough to have a DEXA / bodypod scan, and frankly I doubt they'll have them in my home town anyway. I'm not solely focussed on weight, my body fat as measured by electric induction from my Withing's scale, is roughly 20%, down from 30+% when I started measuring. So still have some way to go before I get to down to my target levels of sub 15%.

1238954_10151851708296575_814937995_n.jp

I am of course aware that the best way of measuring body fat is calipers or a DEXA / Bodypod, and that electric induction really measures the resistance in the body and this can be thrown off by water retention, so I always measure at the same time of day under roughly the same conditions, so whilst it may not be perfect, its consistent and gives me an indication of where I am heading.

I have also recently begun strength training to increase my lean body mass to preserve what musculature I have and am making (slow) progress on this count. The point I really wanted to make was that IF work's for me, and I find it to be a very sustainable way to diet.

Edited by quiksilva