British expat threatened in Phuket road-rage incident

webfact

Motioning to a non-English speaking Thai man that he did or HAS something small should be on the top ten list of things NOT to do in Thailand!

So true. Just keep your head down. Sorry, and say nothing.

Body language. Always smile and nod as if you are agreeing with everything and anything. I learnt this years ago in Indonesia.

It works really well.

Thailand is a good place to practice humility and modesty.

For obvious reasons. Not easy for many Australians. In Indo you can get away with much more, the country being full of sober

people, but bring those manners to Thailand at your risk.

• Like 1

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Carrying a gun in a car like that is clearly illegal.

Not if you have a licence it isn't, and MANY here do.

Need me to repost the gun laws, cause obviously you didn't read them last time i posted them.

Yes please.

There was no actual "incident" until Barry raised his fingers and mouthed at the minivan driver. I don't think there are any laws about how close you have to stop behind another vehicle at the traffic lights.

Whilst not condoning the following actions of the minivan driver which were clearly OTT, if Barry has lived here for over 7 years he should probably have more local knowledge and not bothered to make a non-incident into an incident.

Maybe not a "local" law in Thailand against driving to near the vehicle in front of you but in the educated traffic world, yes.

I have a friend in Pattaya, total nutcase, flip him the bird at your own peril.

I was unfortunate enough to be with him when somebody did!

I felt really sorry for the other driver ( Farang ), poor old guy did not deserve the abuse he got, but my mate is a total nutter and really should be locked up.

One day he is gonna abuse the wrong person and get a bullet in the face.

There was no actual "incident" until Barry raised his fingers and mouthed at the minivan driver. I don't think there are any laws about how close you have to stop behind another vehicle at the traffic lights.

Whilst not condoning the following actions of the minivan driver which were clearly OTT, if Barry has lived here for over 7 years he should probably have more local knowledge and not bothered to make a non-incident into an incident.

Maybe not a "local" law in Thailand against driving to near the vehicle in front of you but in the educated traffic world, yes.

This is why there are no accidents in the western world, no road rage and nobody dies on the roads..............

It only happens in Thailand.

Edited by Banzai99
  • Like 1

I have a friend in Pattaya, total nutcase, flip him the bird at your own peril.

I was unfortunate enough to be with him when somebody did!

I felt really sorry for the other driver ( Farang ), poor old guy did not deserve the abuse he got, but my mate is a total nutter and really should be locked up.

One day he is gonna abuse the wrong person and get a bullet in the face.

"One day he is gonna abuse the wrong person and get a bullet in the face." - that's probably why he only picks on unarmed and elderly farang.

yeah I would not make the small penis gesture either. at the end of the day, if someone is that close they probably know it. I am all in favour off the sudden brake when followed that closely. Scares the shit out of everyone, including me.

You'll have to clarify your comment. Is there a law in a western country that says you must not stop any closer than x behind the vehicle in front of you?

And our dear Barry didn't exactly get out and measure the alleged "millimetres" he claimed in the OP. I bet Barry or most other drivers couldn't tell accurately how close a vehicle is parked behind them.

Barry may well have believed it was closer than he was comfortable with, but it may have been 300mm. From Barry's perspective looking in the rear vision mirror he may have seen the vertical front of the minivan cab and believed it was overly close because there is no hood/bonnet, this making the vehicle appear closer than say an ordinary car.

I stick to my opinion - he created an incident where none needed to be created. Barry in fact sounds like a bit of a muppet. coffee1.gif

You could not be more wrong.

There are very different reasons for getting a permit, sportshooting, self-defense, collecting, whatever.

And all have different rules.

But drawing a gun, loaded or not, and/or making threatening gestures with it just to frighten someone, is not included in what you may do.

And that includes plastic fake guns.

Indeed, many people in Thailand have licenses, but NEVER for offensive reasons!

And if your licese states you can have a gun for self-defense, that might mean in the house, or everywhere else.

But that is stated on the license.

That is, if the police did it right!

You'll have to clarify your comment. Is there a law in a western country that says you must not stop any closer than x behind the vehicle in front of you?

And our dear Barry didn't exactly get out and measure the alleged "millimetres" he claimed in the OP. I bet Barry or most other drivers couldn't tell accurately how close a vehicle is parked behind them.

Barry may well have believed it was closer than he was comfortable with, but it may have been 300mm. From Barry's perspective looking in the rear vision mirror he may have seen the vertical front of the minivan cab and believed it was overly close because there is no hood/bonnet, this making the vehicle appear closer than say an ordinary car.

I stick to my opinion - he created an incident where none needed to be created. Barry in fact sounds like a bit of a muppet. coffee1.gif

UK, Australia, Germany, Sweden, Norway, Denmark to mention a few and the fees range from GBP100,- to US 800,-

It called reckless driving and unless you got your " sit in/on a vehicle licence" here you surely know that to introduce Western driving education and laws here would leave none on the road. smile.png

• Like 1

This is why there are no accidents in the western world, no road rage and nobody dies on the roads..............

It only happens in Thailand.

Tailgating is considered reckless driving and I personally don't consider Western countries with road rage as being well educated in traffic behaviour.

"Terrifying", "he would have shot us", "vulnerable position", "my instinct tool over" , "very dangerous", ...

What a drama this guy makes. Too funny :)

I loved reading about the "petrified girlfriend" too. What a great story :)

I hope Barry will never drive in Russia. There he would be shot for real and would have no time to make his little whining in the local press :)

• Like 1

UK, Australia, Germany, Sweden, Norway, Denmark to mention a few and the fees range from GBP100,- to US 800,-

It called reckless driving and unless you got your " sit in/on a vehicle licence" here you surely know that to introduce Western driving education and laws here would leave none on the road. smile.png

I still think you're confused and are referring to safe following distances. Our beloved Barry was stationary when he claims a vehicle stopped too close behind him at the traffic lights waiting for them to turn green. Maybe you'd better read the OP again.

The vehicles were not moving - they were standing dead still at the traffic lights. I ask again, if there are laws in the countries you claim about stopping "too close" behind a vehicle at traffic lights, then enlighten us all as to how close that law states - give us a URL that clarifies it.

Ta very much!

• Like 2

Farangs looking for trouble with locals again. After 7 years here he should have known the society and culture.

He should of course have wai'ed him as the Thai (being Thai) was the hierarchical superior in the social situation. Did he not do one of those culture course things.

• Like 1

This was a Barry scary story.

The writer just unwittingly invented a new drinking game. Read this story aloud and you have to take a shot every time you say the word "Barry".

Edited by KuhnPaen
  • Like 2

Glad it did not take place in Pattaya, otherwise there would have been already 20 pages of how dirty and dangerous Pattaya is

This incident would not have happened in Pattaya because he would not have needed to drive a car to get from A to B in Pattaya.

They have a public transport system in that country. smile.pngsmile.pngsmile.pngsmile.png

Edited by NamKangMan
  • Like 1

You could not be more wrong.

There are very different reasons for getting a permit, sportshooting, self-defense, collecting, whatever.

And all have different rules.

But drawing a gun, loaded or not, and/or making threatening gestures with it just to frighten someone, is not included in what you may do.

And that includes plastic fake guns.

Indeed, many people in Thailand have licenses, but NEVER for offensive reasons!

And if your licese states you can have a gun for self-defense, that might mean in the house, or everywhere else.

But that is stated on the license.

That is, if the police did it right!

I was responding to another poster who stated it was illegal to carry a firearm in a car. I replied saying that if you had a licence, it's not illegal to carry a firearm in a car. Indeed, you can carry them anywhere, provided you have a licence. How it's used is another subject entirely.

Drive down the bypass road, you WILL be tailgated unless you are doing 130kmh+ never once have I seen a police car/bike/person checking the traffic!

When driving there I always switch on the cruise control (after the Tesco traffic lights), at either 100 or 90 k/h, depending on the traffic. If at 100, I hardly get overtaken, let alone tailgated.