1 Year Visas Vs. Permanent Residence

I am on an NON-IMMI "O" and heard that after you have completed 3 years in a row of 1 year visas, you qualify for application of permanent residence. So what are the advantages of having PR as opposed to just 1 year visas? I know its a cost of 98,000 or so baht for the certificate.

Never heard of any advantages of having a PR. so i thought id leave it to you experts for more information on this. Is it really worth trying for a PR? I am not interested in Thai nationality but considering PR. can you own land with a PR certificate?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, you cannot own land as a PR.

You do get a house registration book which simplifies some matters, like

buying a car.

Otherwise I cannot see that you are better off as PR, just a little poorer!!

I am on an NON-IMMI "O" and heard that after you have completed 3 years in a row of 1 year visas, you qualify for application of permanent residence. So what are the advantages of having PR as opposed to just 1 year visas? I know its a cost of 98,000 or so baht for the certificate.

Never heard of any advantages of having a PR. so i thought id leave it to you experts for more information on this. Is it really worth trying for a PR? I am not interested in Thai nationality but considering PR. can you own land with a PR certificate?

:o

EXACTLY, what I want to know. I will be starting the process of retiring in Thailand, probably around Pattaya/Jomtien area in 2 years (October 2008). Will be age 62 at that time. I have read a lot about the first three years with the O visa,90 day reporting, annual retirement visa extension, and such But the one question I want to know is;what happens at the end of the three year period?What and how do I obtain a PR visa. What are language requirements (Thai)?

Anyone who can expand past the first three years (assuming my health holds out)?

:D

Edited by IMA_FARANG

At the present time PR does not seem a realistic option for those on retirement. One of the of main criteria reported by those in the system is local payment of tax on an income in the 80k per month range. Although nothing is written in stone so if there were other extreme factors this would probably not be a major factor. Yes, Thai language is also a part of the requirements for most.

I can think of a couple of advantages by getting the yearly visa-renewals replaced by a PR. I'll just list some examples:

1) For the working guy, formerly on a non-O spouse support extension, WP-renewal becomes truly a once-a-year one-step process - rather than 9-11 months at a time intersected by 1-3 one months stamps while the visa-extension is under consideration.

2) A working guy, formerly on a non-B, can go on part-time without having to worry about income requirements.

3) A working guy can retire peacefully without keeping more money in the bank, than he feels like.

4) A retired guy doesn't have to fear that a strong baht might make his pension from abroad sink below the requirements.

No, you cannot own land as a PR.

You do get a house registration book which simplifies some matters, like

buying a car.

Otherwise I cannot see that you are better off as PR, just a little poorer!!

I've noticed as a lurker for a long long time that whenever PR was discussed there were often dismissive responses such as the one above.Don't know about Astral but my hunch is that most of these professed sceptics would give their right arm to have PR.But Astral and his ilk are partly right in that PR conveys very few specific benefits not available in other ways.What it does provide -and this is a huge huge plus- is a sense of belonging, permanence and security.Unfortunately I lack one of the main criteria at present, but the general desirability of PR is a no brainer for most expats -if they are being honest.

Unfortunately PR based on retirement is no longer allowed. Being married to a Thai of course PR can be applied for. Advantages: Immigration pretty much forgets about you and leaves you alone, no 90-day reporting, no visa extensions and others that can be found doing a search here.

Edited by tywais

PR allows you to stay here FOREVER.

A 1-time fee of 95,000 for those with Thai spouse.

Those without, will have to pay 195,000.

No more visa stamp on your passport.

You are free to stay here in the kingdom of Thailand for indefinite period.

The only thing is that you've to report to your district police station every 5 yrs.

Getting a PR save you alots of time and money in long run.

Btw, I just got mine last week. :o

Edited by maxbkkguy

...PR... no 90-day reporting, no visa extensions and others that can be found doing a search here.
But do not ever forget your re-entry permit when travelling abroad. Otherwise, the 95K you paid for the residence permit are down the drain and you can start all over again with a non-O visa, 3 annual extensions and a new application for PR.

---------------

Maestro

Maestro - is that true?? Jeez, when I get my PR (maybe in many years time), I will have to be really careful re this because i visit my UK family every few months!!

Simon

No, you just get a multiple re-entry once a year.It takes 5 minutes.

Maestro - is that true?? Jeez, when I get my PR (maybe in many years time), I will have to be really careful re this because i visit my UK family every few months!!

Simon

Just bring along the police red booklet, residence blue booklet and your passport will do.

But applicant must come personally to apply for the re-entry visa.

If submit today, you can only collect it tomorrow (min. 1 working day)

A fee of 1,900 for re-entry visa (valid for 1 yr) or a multiple re-entry visa (3 xxx) will be given if you're those frequents traveler.

For those who don't travel out of Thailand, you are FREE TO STAY here FORVEVER.

No more visa stamp, no more 90 days reporting, no more visa run for the rest of your stay here.

After 5 yrs, those with Thai PR, they can apply for Thai citizenship.

Thai do allow dual citizenships if I’m not wrong.

So it will be a great plus if anyone can get one of those Thai citizenship.

With that, you can own lands under your name.

Anyway, I'm already very contented with my PR status.

For those who keep on comparing having Thai PR and those without it.

Don't waste your time, go and get it.

It actually very simple.

Simon

Just bring along the police red booklet, residence blue booklet and your passport will do.

But applicant must come personally to apply for the re-entry visa.

If submit today, you can only collect it tomorrow (min. 1 working day)

A fee of 1,900 for re-entry visa (valid for 1 yr) or a multiple re-entry visa (3 xxx) will be given if you're those frequents traveler.

For those who don't travel out of Thailand, you are FREE TO STAY here FORVEVER.

No more visa stamp, no more 90 days reporting, no more visa run for the rest of your stay here.

After 5 yrs, those with Thai PR, they can apply for Thai citizenship.

Thai do allow dual citizenships if I’m not wrong.

So it will be a great plus if anyone can get one of those Thai citizenship.

With that, you can own lands under your name.

Anyway, I'm already very contented with my PR status.

For those who keep on comparing having Thai PR and those without it.

Don't waste your time, go and get it.

It actually very simple.

come to think of it. it is quite beneficial in sense of not having stress of apllying for visa etc. the main plus point for me is not to worry about keeping whatever amount in the bank while applying for the 1 year visa.

how fluent must you be in thai?? must you be able to read and write as well?? thats a difficult part. and for you to lose everything you paid for just by not applying a re-entry visa seems to be a little harsh. i am sure all of this has been discussed before but thanks for all your replies. i am sure a lot of people are in the same shoes as me.

Since I have a retirement visa and have no intention of ever working it simply doesn't make sense economically to get a PR. At 1,900 baht per year for the retirement visa I would never ever break even. The three month check ins are painless and can be done by mail if desired.

Since I have a retirement visa and have no intention of ever working it simply doesn't make sense economically to get a PR. At 1,900 baht per year for the retirement visa I would never ever break even. The three month check ins are painless and can be done by mail if desired.

If you are on a retirement visa the question is entirely academic, I'm sorry to tell you, because you are not eligible for PR.

I'm also legally married to a Thai but have kept the retirement visa because it is so easy to get and renew.

If you are on a retirement visa the question is entirely academic, I'm sorry to tell you, because you are not eligible for PR.

I'm also legally married to a Thai but have kept the retirement visa because it is so easy to get and renew.

OK fair enough your position makes sense in the given context.Nevertheless as a piece of friendly advice unless the cost is an impenetrable barrier you would be in a better position with PR.

If given a choice.

Who in the right of mind, would want to do a 1yr renewal annually. :D

Don't forget, the renewl fees may change in the near future.

Once your have your PR, you are free to stay here FOREVER and no more visa

fees unless you're travelling out of Thailand.

Maybe you're not eligible for PR for some other reasons. :o

At 61 years old and a once a year trip to immigration for 1,900 baht versus a 95,000 baht up front fee you can consider me NOT qualified if you like. I am happy with my Thai wife but what happens if we were to split up for some reason? Do I need a visa hassle on top of a split up? No thanks. :o If the fees go up they go up.

PR allows you to stay here FOREVER.

A 1-time fee of 95,000 for those with Thai spouse.

Those without, will have to pay 195,000.

No more visa stamp on your passport.

You are free to stay here in the kingdom of Thailand for indefinite period.

The only thing is that you've to report to your district police station every 5 yrs.

Getting a PR save you alots of time and money in long run.

Btw, I just got mine last week. :o

I have now hit the magic point where I qaulify, I have conidered if nothing else just for the peace of mind. It's difficlt to determine what the process is and the requirements. Could you please give us your experience and and insight on how you went about it. I have heard that there are services that help you with it.

The information would be appreciated by me adn I'm sure others as well.

Edited by ray23

At 61 years old and a once a year trip to immigration for 1,900 baht versus a 95,000 baht up front fee you can consider me NOT qualified if you like. I am happy with my Thai wife but what happens if we were to split up for some reason? Do I need a visa hassle on top of a split up? No thanks. :o If the fees go up they go up.

I hadn't thought of that angle (ie what happens if your PR given on Thai wife basis in event of split).I don't know in event of divorce whether PR would be withdrawn.Somebody here will know for sure.If the answer is yes, then you are certainly better off with one year visa.If the answer is no then you would be better off (much better off) with PR.

I have now hit the magic point where I qaulify, I have conidered if nothing else just for the peace of mind. It's difficlt to determine what the process is and the requirements. Could you please give us your experience and and insight on how you went about it. I have heard that there are services that help you with it.

The information would be appreciated by me adn I'm sure others as well.

It actually very simple and straightforward.

Just go over to room 301 at immigration dept to ask for PR form .You will be given a paper with a list of items to prepare. The submittion date is in Dec. If your application are rejected, you will receive a notice after 1 month later. If no news, mean good news.

I've waited 1 yr later then i received my approval letter. :o

The important items are the 3 yrs of local personal income tax (must get it endorse by them), 3yrs continuous non-immigration visa stamped in your passport and your work permit.

If you have a Thai wife and with 1-2 kids, you will stand a higher chance than the others but no guarantee too.

You needn't have to write Thai but if can speak simple Thai will be good enough.

I didn't engage any broker for the job.

I basically done it all by myself.

The fact is that many, if not most, of the readers here do not have the required tax payments in the amounts expected so PR is not an option for them; or me.

I, for one, did not appreciate your "eye roll" after the

Maybe you're not eligible for PR for some other reasons.
but suspect, and hope, that you did not mean it to be as insulting as I may have taken it.

The fact is that many, if not most, of the readers here do not have the required tax payments in the amounts expected so PR is not an option for them; or me.

I decided that I will go for it this year after putting it off for so long. Will apply under the Expert category (academic) having worked at CMU for 14 years and now am permanent staff member. My salary is one of the highest paid at the university and hope that the taxes paid are sufficient (do you know what they require in tax payments?)

I assume a letter from the President of the university will satisfy the "supporting letter"? And for the "Certification letter indicating working experience" I assume the laboratory director would be the appropriate person for this? Considering he has been awarded the #1 physicist in Thailand will probably be a big asset. Also, I have 20 international publications based on research work at CMU and wonder if those could be submitted as proof of work and quality?

The figure being tossed around is 80k per month salary but in your case believe you have more going for you with the position and recommendations so don't believe being low on tax payments would be the deciding factor. I would encourage anyone that meets the requirements, which are somewhat vague, and can afford the application fee to apply. But do feel a large number of us do not have a realistic chance of PR under the present rules so go into it with your eyes open.

I decided that I will go for it this year after putting it off for so long. Will apply under the Expert category (academic) having worked at CMU for 14 years and now am permanent staff member. My salary is one of the highest paid at the university and hope that the taxes paid are sufficient (do you know what they require in tax payments?)

I assume a letter from the President of the university will satisfy the "supporting letter"? And for the "Certification letter indicating working experience" I assume the laboratory director would be the appropriate person for this? Considering he has been awarded the #1 physicist in Thailand will probably be a big asset. Also, I have 20 international publications based on research work at CMU and wonder if those could be submitted as proof of work and quality?

Based on what you have told us you should be a certainty for PR.You are exactly the sort of person the Thais like seeing apply for PR.

Based on what you have told us you should be a certainty for PR.You are exactly the sort of person the Thais like seeing apply for PR.

I think that's the key point that everyone is missing here. PR is not just a simple admin process after having 3 consecutive extension stamps. It is generally only handed out to people who "deserve" it, i.e. have made some contribution to the kingdom they desire to live in (and no, that does not include running a pizza joint on Chaweng Beach). They want to see you have made some valuable contribution, either through creating (a large no. of) jobs, charitable work, investment etc. Letters of recommendation from upstanding Thai citizens also counts for a lot.

I have never seen the figures but I believe that the quota of PRs per country that exists is rarely used up in any given year, despite the vast number of people applying. It's highly selective.

Having said that, Tywais, you definitely have a great chance - almost certain I'd say - based on the info given.

I, for one, did not appreciate your "eye roll" after the

Maybe you're not eligible for PR for some other reasons.
but suspect, and hope, that you did not mean it to be as insulting as I may have taken it.

Sorry for being a bit thick on this, Lopburi3, but I assume you are saying that you cannot apply for PR if you haven't worked and paid tax for three years. So whether you are married or not, you must have had a work permit and been paid a salary.? Is that correct?

Stupid question, but suppose you just pay the tax, but don't work?

(I'm just trying to close down all the angles before I go down your route of permanently removing PR as a future option :o )