1 Year Visas Vs. Permanent Residence

If I, as a grateful retiree in Thailand for 13 years and with a Thai family, am told to leave Thailand then there are many other Edens in this world.

..And I will be waving to you, standing on Laem Chabang jetty, , PR book grasped happily in my ageing mit, as your ship departs, seeking pastures new :D

(only joking :o

Edited by Mobi D'Ark

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

..And I will be waving to you, standing on Laem Chabang jetty, , PR book grasped happily in my ageing mit, as your ship departs, seeking pastures new :D

(only joking :D

..and I'll be waving to you Mobi...well not waving exactly, more like pointing to those running up behind you ready to chuck you into the sea. At least I'm on a ship but you can always fasten that little PR book around your neck and hope that it stops you from drowning.

Premanent Residence aka "The Sinking Fund of Goodwill"

(only joking too :D )

Wanee, wan Songkhran sanuk mak kwa :o

..... may have to have a look at Cambodia. :o

....hmmmmm, that's a thought. I wonder how Cambodia today compares to the Thailand of the early 70's.....(that's another thread)!

Question:

What about this situation: Married to Thai wife and have 2 girls while living in US. We all now reside in Thailand. Wife is Thai citizen, I can get Retirement or Spouse visa but would be the legal status or the visa options for the children?

Edited by Ahnsahn

..... may have to have a look at Cambodia. :o

....hmmmmm, that's a thought. I wonder how Cambodia today compares to the Thailand of the early 70's.....(that's another thread)!

Question:

What about this situation: Married to Thai wife and have 2 girls while living in US. We all now reside in Thailand. Wife is Thai citizen, I can get Retirement or Spouse visa but would be the legal status or the visa options for the children?

It appears the children have a Thai mother so they should also be Thai and not need a visa. You should be able to find the paperwork procedure somewhere here as it has been covered in the past. If you were still in the US you would do it through the Thai Consulate. Your local District Office should be able to look up the procedure if not. Also believe some here have done it so they may be able to help.

What I don't understand is you are asking about visa for children but say they are already in Thailand? It would appear you already have that covered. There is no overstay problem for children so they do not have to make visa runs unless you want. But do follow up on getting them Thai paperwork.

What I don't understand is you are asking about visa for children but say they are already in Thailand? It would appear you already have that covered. There is no overstay problem for children so they do not have to make visa runs unless you want. But do follow up on getting them Thai paperwork.

The girls used their US passports to come to Thailand. Now, in order for them to reside here permanently.......that's what I'm now pondering. I thought I read somewhere that the children of Thai women who are fathered by non-Thai, have a different citizenship or non-citizen status........was trying to clarify here........a Thai official is probably the way to go though.

Edited by Ahnsahn

The girls used their US passports to come to Thailand. Now, in order for them to reside here permanently.......that's what I'm now pondering. I thought I read somewhere that the children of Thai women who are fathered by non-Thai, have a different citizenship or non-citizen status........was trying to clarify here........a Thai official is probably the way to go though.

No, your children can have both passports, and your wife can to, if she has already met the requirments to become a US citizen.

Next time your girls go back to the US, you should apply to register them as Thai nationals at the embassy in Washington DC, and then get them Thai passports through the embassy. They should then re-enter Thailand on those Thai passports, after which, they won't be subject to any immigration controls here in Thailand.

Do a search on the topic of Dual Nationality on this site. It has been done to death and all your questions will be answered.

If at least one parent is Thai, then their children can automatically aquire Thai citizenships by birth. See Thailand’s Nationality Act B.E. 2508 as amended by Acts B.E. 2535 No. 2 and 3 (1992), section 7(1). Each child can obtain a Thai Birth certificate and a Thai Passport.

See also US policy on Dual Nationality.

Most U.S. citizens, including dual nationals, must use a U.S. passport to enter and leave the United States. Dual nationals may also be required by the foreign country to use its passport to enter and leave that country

In other words, at immigration, they should then use their Thai passports when entering/leaving Thailand and their US passports when entering/leaving the US. The airline may wish to see both passports.

If at least one parent is Thai, then their children can automatically aquire Thai citizenships by birth. See Thailand’s Nationality Act B.E. 2508 as amended by Acts B.E. 2535 No. 2 and 3 (1992), section 7(1). Each child can obtain a Thai Birth certificate and a Thai Passport.

See also US policy on Dual Nationality.

Most U.S. citizens, including dual nationals, must use a U.S. passport to enter and leave the United States. Dual nationals may also be required by the foreign country to use its passport to enter and leave that country

In other words, at immigration, they should then use their Thai passports when entering/leaving Thailand and their US passports when entering/leaving the US. The airline may wish to see both passports.

Thanks for the info everyone. I'll get right on it! :o