Samui Prestige Homes

I had a good look at the web site and it looks good. You will have to visit and see for yourself as the camera does lie. Also ask loads of questions and leave no stone un-turned.

Have you been to Samui? Make sure you travel around and see what's available.

• 2 weeks later...
Anyone have any info on these in Samui?

Thank you in advance.

He have a nice office in a new building near the main road between Bophut and Maenam............Don't know how he handles business...........But if you r really interested in buying something with European standards and not thai style build villas i can only recommend you 1 company in Samui, you can pm me for more details. :o

• 7 months later...
I have not been to Samui yet but I would like to know if any members here have bought property from this company or have had any dealings with them.

I've purchased from Samui Prestige Homes they are legit. I visited the site and actually saw where my villa was going to be built. "The Place" is scheduled to be completed in March '07.... 5-star luxury resort with a few villas still available I believe. The only downside is financing for foreign investors....very difficult (if at all) to get so you need to have cash.

I have not been to Samui yet but I would like to know if any members here have bought property from this company or have had any dealings with them.

I've purchased from Samui Prestige Homes they are legit. I visited the site and actually saw where my villa was going to be built. "The Place" is scheduled to be completed in March '07.... 5-star luxury resort with a few villas still available I believe. The only downside is financing for foreign investors....very difficult (if at all) to get so you need to have cash.

Hi Chicoman98, welcome to Thaivisa

Can i ask how you are taking possesion of your new home, long lease or with a Thai company ?

Mark Landers has been here for many years and owns Prestige Homes. He has a good reputation on the island and is very professional. I am a lawyer here in Samui. I have heard of no problems with them.

You are a lawyer on Samui? What is your company? I might want to visit you.

Hi Skippy and Chicoman98

I have an house at The Place as well.

I Know Mark & Co. pretty well and I will going to live in Samui from April 07.

I'm 34 Italian and very happy about the purchase done. Few things need to be fixed and fine tune but this is normal even in Eu. I kindly invite you to PM me so I can send you the Real pictures I took in September and because if you like we can start to chat about it privately.

Tks and Bye

Believing chicoman, a newbie on his 1st mail on this subject, isn't a good idea, be careful with these people and have a Bangkok lawyer look at it before you take step two, IMHO.

Edited by SamuiJens

Believing chicoman, a newbie on his 1st mail on this subject, isn't a good idea, be careful with these people and have a Bangkok lawyer look at it before you take step two, IMHO.

excellent advice there from samuijens , especially about the lawyer.

and remember that many "lawyers" here in thailand are not "lawyers" , but notarys , who basically only witness signatures but have little knowledge of legislation , especially recent legislation.

when dealing with a falang "lawyer" , ask them if they can read and understand thai , to a level that enables them to translate accurately thai legal documents.

a reputable bangkok company is the way to go.

and a question for the lawyer who replied to this topic (major major)

as a foriegner (assuming you are not thai)

1) are you allowed to actually practise law here ?

2)could you appear for a client in court ?

3) could you make a presentation in a courtroom in thai ?(the only language used in courts here)

4) where did you study thai law and what qualifications have you got that allow you to advise on thai law ?

Edited by taxexile

Personally I would never ever consider buying property in a place I hadn't even visited. Actually I would wan't to live there for an extended period to get the lay of the land before investing in property.

Sophon

Absolutely true, be careful about the lawyer you going to choose/use but does not mean

that all of them are not genuine, mine is in BKK.

Back to the subject if this topic, the company looks healthy and people working there have clear idea's about what they are doing and which kind of resort need to be build.

Villas came fully furnished and materials looks fine to me. The beach is really nice and The Place is in a peaceful location, at least for me and my wife who prefer stay away from Chaweng.

Price are still interesting if you think at the full package and the possible return of investment.

Bye

Mark Landers has been here for many years and owns Prestige Homes. He has a good reputation on the island and is very professional. I am a lawyer here in Samui. I have heard of no problems with them.

Why can't you answer Roo's questions on your lawyer practices in LOS????

Can i ask how you are taking possesion of your new home, long lease or with a Thai company ?

Yes welcome Chicoman98.

There is some good advice here in this thread. Have you been able to find out more about this question though, which in my opinion is probably the most important thing you should consider first if land is involved.

I would appreciate any feedback to know what these property managers are suggesting as the best method to acquire land nowadays .

Merry Xmas

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Pilchard- I've setup a Thai company and will be transfering the land into it. Are you looking to purchase on Samui?

me toooo!!!!

i have a very pretty website

and i know lots of really good lawyers

and i've never had any problems with anyone about anything anywhere!!

send me the money and i'll start building your villa real soon i promise... OK?

don't worry about ownership coz i will give you a thai ltd company to own the land and house.

or

you can have a 30 year lease (possibly not renewable, but don't worry coz you probably die in motorbike accident and i take own your house).

please read carefully below..

You CANNOT own land in Thailand.

the most common set up as a thai ltd company with 49% foreign shareholding and voting rights of 51% or more held by the foreign director...

1. is now to be deemed a foreign company

2. if engaged in List 1 or 2 activity (land trading included) , it has to change voting rights (within 2 years) so foreigner has maximum 49% voting rights.

and would then be deemed a Thai company again, but the foreigner has of course lost control.

So now it can engage in any activity it wants to.

3. If engaged in List 3 activity, can keep majority voting rights (grandfather clause), but is still a foreign company.

therefore , this type of company cannot

(a) trade in land

(:o engage in selling food and beverage

© all the others as well in Lists 1, 2 and 3.

is this correct?

if so, it means you can't do anything as a foreign company director and also have control of what the company does.

All the doors are shut i think.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

you see, previously these companies were Thai companies,

now they will be Foreign companies and thus excluded from doing business on the lists.

me toooo!!!!

i have a very pretty website

and i know lots of really good lawyers

and i've never had any problems with anyone about anything anywhere!!

send me the money and i'll start building your villa real soon i promise... OK?

don't worry about ownership coz i will give you a thai ltd company to own the land and house.

or

you can have a 30 year lease (possibly not renewable, but don't worry coz you probably die in motorbike accident and i take own your house).

please read carefully below..

You CANNOT own land in Thailand.

the most common set up as a thai ltd company with 49% foreign shareholding and voting rights of 51% or more held by the foreign director...

1. is now to be deemed a foreign company

2. if engaged in List 1 or 2 activity (land trading included) , it has to change voting rights (within 2 years) so foreigner has maximum 49% voting rights.

and would then be deemed a Thai company again, but the foreigner has of course lost control.

So now it can engage in any activity it wants to.

3. If engaged in List 3 activity, can keep majority voting rights (grandfather clause), but is still a foreign company.

therefore , this type of company cannot

(a) trade in land

(:o engage in selling food and beverage

© all the others as well in Lists 1, 2 and 3.

is this correct?

if so, it means you can't do anything as a foreign company director and also have control of what the company does.

All the doors are shut i think.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

you see, previously these companies were Thai companies,

now they will be Foreign companies and thus excluded from doing business on the lists.

Thank you for your insight yet it seems you are missing the point at hand.

Allow me to shed some light and clear off most of the Gossip and rumors.

Farrang (except for some exceptions) can not own land. That is true.

Thai nationals or Thai companies can own land.

To be a Thai company the shares of the company must be 51% or more held by Thai nationals.

Thai companies can engage in any business in Thailand. Foreign companies or foreign controlled companies can only conduct business under the Alien business Act.

Some companies set out to counter this request by building a different share structure using either nominees or by using a preferred share system that allow the voting to be controlled even by the minority as the preferred shares have more voting rights.

As such those companies are one hand Thai companies but on the other hand they are foreign controlled. This is a loop hole that the Thai government is trying to close.

This situation has caused Thai companies to be in voting control of Foreigners and is missing the original point of the legislator. As such the new amendment requests that this nominee or preferred structure will be changed to convey the true holdings of a Thai Company.

The problem the Thai government has is not with small land buyers but with giving away control of Thailand's main infrastructure or natural resources control to Foreigners.

If you read the statement from the government it reads" The 50-per cent cap will only apply to companies that deal with areas considered important to national security, or that have an impact on natural resources or Thai culture."

The new amendment is given to protect what Thailand is considering national assets. Infect this request is made by many other countries in the west as well.

They are only correcting the law to prevent what has happened with Singaporeans taking over the communications in Thailand.

As for the Land issues

If you are a 49% share holder in a Thai Company and this Thai company acquires land then it is perfectly legitimate. As long as this company is an actual company that shows income and pays taxes.

You are not the one buying land the Thai company is.

As long as the share holders vote is the reflecting the 51% Thai nationals having ownership and voting rights it is a Thai company. And as a Thai company it is allowed to do anything in Thailand.

The company share holders can hold a meeting and nominate you as a manager or a managing director that is managing the company. As such you control the every day business activities of the company.

If you would like to protect your investment, from the Thai partners majority.

One of the Simple ways to do that is that in the incorporation papers it is agreed that all companies' decision must be accepted with a minimum of 75% share holders vote.

That way no one can sell the land under your feet.

Another way is to put a mortgage on the property in the land office and that mortgage is under your name. So with out you taking off the mortgage no one can sell the land.

There are different techniques to do that with out breaking the law. And a good lawyer can explain that to you.

If you just want to live in Samui for a few years, then the best option is to lease or rent a house and avoid all the company hassles.

I sniff something shady going on in this thread, like time share sales...

As for real house purchases:

The rules for farang land/building are changing. Friend farangs who own land put a halt to their personal house building this year because of new restrictions, and they've been here 20 years.

I would never buy on the concept -- never put all the money down and expect your paradise to be completed by the slated date -- rarely happens. Do not trust the slick salespeople. Too much development here and not enough workers. If they do finish on time, the snag list will probably be very long. And you will also wait a long time for everything to get fixed.

Buy in a development and your maintenance costs are sure to rise alot every year for new roads, more water wells, extra security, super farang nflation, etc.

Lawyers say yes and state a price at the start and then, bing!, unforeseen problems arise and more money is needed for every little thing later on.

Also, if you buy, the nice people next door might decide to open an all-night karaoke or a machine shop. Believe me, you do not want to live next to those. Good luck with disputing zoning laws.

Lease or rent. Who knows what the new tides of visa restrictions will be. If they switch, you can get up and go somewhere else.

Regret to be negative, but that's Samui these days.

thanks highdiver,

thats very clever and all but...

since the new laws are aimed at closing loopholes,

what says they won't close these ones anytime they want to...

main point is that the whole situation is so volatile now and in the future that any investment would have to be considered extremely high risk..

consider the possibility of an even more xenophobic/nationalist government in the future..

very highly possible IMHO

consider what new laws it might enact !!

highdiver ,

The problem the Thai government has is not with small land buyers but with giving away control of Thailand's main infrastructure or natural resources control to Foreigners.

If you read the statement from the government it reads" The 50-per cent cap will only apply to companies that deal with areas considered important to national security, or that have an impact on natural resources or Thai culture."

The new amendment is given to protect what Thailand is considering national assets. Infect this request is made by many other countries in the west as well.

They are only correcting the law to prevent what has happened with Singaporeans taking over the communications in Thailand.

for crying out loud ...............................

IS LAND NOT A NATURAL ASSET???

highdiver ,

He didn't say assets, he said natural ressources & infrastructure.Land always stays here, you can't take it with you.

What land would you own to hinder natural ressources & infrastructure?

Edited by Rooo

highdiver ,

He didn't say assets, he said natural ressources & infrastructure.Land always stays here, you can't take it with you.

What land would you own to hinder natural ressources & infrastructure?

What land would you own to hinder natural ressources & infrastructure? , easily applied to any ...............................