Puppy Guarantee?

Hey everyone! Just a quick question. I was going to buy a new puppy from the breeder down the street. She has a regular shop that sells other dogs, but her personal home pair had puppies and are for sale. They are 8 weeks and just had their first shots 2 days ago. I asked how long she would guarantee them for as most breeders will give you 6 months to a year money back or replacement. She said she only does one week and if the puppy is sick or dies she will replace it or return money. Either way, she added that no breeder in Phuket will guarantee their dogs more than one week which I thought was strange. Has anyone heard of this or is she just trying to unload puppies?

I have never bought from a breeder, but any genuine, self respecting and animal loving breeder should have no problem to guarantee pups are healthy and vaccinated.

Lack of that promise would somewhat worry me, but again, i never bought from the breeder, usually just rescue.

Hope someone has a better knowledge on the subject

A week seems good by Thai standards - with most items your "guarantee" expires when you leave the premises.

With livestock be it a cow or a cat, pony or puppy exactly how can the seller/breeder be held responsible for the living conditions and care that happens when out of their control?

Also what "guarantee" does the breeder/seller have that the inoculations have been administered correctly, followed up with boosters and have taken/i.e. given the immune system the protection desired?

Next is the risk of any induced genetic health problems like CHD/CED etc that can come from breeding siblings & cousins with too tight a bloodline where animals are breed for looks and not diverse bloodline health. Within 3/6 months you would expect that the joints to start showing problems which the breeder/seller can not fix, what would they do with a damaged second-hand puppy?

What can the breeder do if the pup is walked for two hours a day causing joint damage itself?

Parvovirus is probably the biggest killer of pups and exposure in the time between inoculation and protection is about two weeks that leads to infection is a 95% killer.

My vaccine protocol at Natural Pet is to give one parvo vaccine at around 9 weeks (but before 11 weeks), and a booster at around 14 weeks. Then 2 to 4 weeks after the booster, I do a titer to confirm the puppy has been immunized against the disease.

Titering will also tell me if the puppy is a (rare) non-responder to the parvo vaccine, meaning he'll never develop immunity to the disease and will be susceptible for a lifetime. This information is vital to the dog's owner, who will need to take measures for the balance of the pet's life to keep him safe from exposure to the virus.

If a puppy's parvo titer shows he's immunized and protected 2 to 4 weeks after the second vaccine, in my professional opinion he's immune for life.....

It generally takes from 10 to 14 days after parvo vaccination for adequate protection to develop. Unfortunately, if a puppy is exposed to parvo either before vaccination or in that 10 to 14 day window before sufficient immunity has kicked in, it is usually fatal.

Source: Healthy Pets @ Mercola

As they say: You bought it - you own it.

Thanks Cuban. I was talking more along the lines of the dog being sickly and dying of illness after the first few weeks from the breeders care. For the most part, the farangs here would take decent care of their newly found friends. I ended up getting the pup and bringing it over with the vaccine paperwork to my favorite Vets office. They looked everything over and said he was fine... Next round of shots in 2 weeks.

I used to raise Golden Retrievers in the US and Thailand. I never set a period where I would replace the dog if it died, but they were always in good health with all of their shots and raised in a home enviorment not in a "puppy farm".. I never had to replace any pups. I did have one guy come back after 2 weeks stating that his dog had died and he wanted another puppy. As it turned out his dog had died because it was hit buy a truck. He was quite upset when I wouldn't even sell him another pup!

I was talking more along the lines of the dog being sickly and dying of illness after the first few weeks from the breeders care.

I understood what you meant - yet this is Thailand and Thai business transaction practice applies. Well I suggest the general "You bought it you own it" policy applies - where a breeder might extend their personal/professional guarantee in good faith because they are breeding for love of the breed I can see them doing so. However I also have encountered Thais locally that although they love their dogs that they have bred - once it's sold the transaction is final and binding.

Not replacing/reselling for the dead pup - totally agree with you. (We have a Golden BTW)

Good luck with your pet, pictures always welcome here.