Legality of Piggybacking in Thailand?

HalfSquat

I've read the wikipedia page but didn't see an entry for Thailand.

Is connecting to open wifi networks you haven't been given permission to connect to illegal in Thailand?

Is connecting to wifi networks that are password protected (but you guess the password) illegal in Thailand?

Anyone got any info on this topic at all?

Thanks.

Section 5. Any person illegally accessing a computer system for which a specific access prevention measure that is not intended for their own use is available shall be subject to imprisonment for no longer than six months or a fine of not more than ten thousand baht or both.

Full text here:http://www.prachatai.com/english/node/117

Edited by JakeBKK

From a purely academic perspective it's illegal but I would estimate that the chances of facing legal problems for doing this in Thailand sit somewhere between miniscule and zero.

Academic ? Go over to your neighbour ask nicely and everything is hunky-dory ! If you get the pass from a coffee shop, bar, pub or whatsoever and you can use it in your room? Go now and then and have a beer or whatever you like. This is an ethical and not an academic issue, imho.smile.png

Edited by JakeBKK

I actually opened a WiFi guest connection without password ( a router feature that no security issue ), for my visitors and anyone just in case. I didn't see any abuse yet. does it offence any contractual agreement or legal ?

as a token, my neighbour also offers her wifi password, just in case my connection get stuck. I assumed this is legal.