open a bank account - SCB or bangkok bank ?

basejd

I use Bangkok Bank and rarely have a problem.

On occasion, I have used SCB for settling invoices with their customers and find them to be a pain in the neck. On a bad day, they look for any excuse to avoid even a simple transaction. Once, they asked me to take cash from the ATM to use in processing a payment rather than do it more cheaply for me through the teller's computer terminal. The manager was involved in the transaction and relented when I asked him whether or not SCB was a real bank.

The exact same thing happened to me, except it was the teller at Bangkok Bank (Paragon branch), who asked me to take the cash to UOP bank for a transfer.

Sometimes I wonder in which century, no, in which millenium, Thai banks are. They are ALL a pain in the neck when it comes to customer service and simple things like transfer money form one account to another.

I find it unbelievable that in the year 2013 I have to fax (yes, fax! You know, the machines our grandfather used) the ATM printout for the recipient to enable him to identify the transaction.

Bottom line: All Thai banks are bad and it depends largely on the current staff in a particular branch how happy you are. Bear in mind, the staff changes every 2 years.

No, all Thai banks are not bad, they just operate differently from where you come from, fact is that many of them are actually very good when it comes to customer service.

Firstly, you have to understand that Thailand operates a regional banking system and that treats banks in different provinces as separate entites, even though they might be branches of the same bank.

Secondly, the electronic communications between banks here is is still in its infancy, BahtBNet is the only real inter bank comms. facility and even that involves giving a courier a check and having him despoit it in a bank that doesn't subscribe to BahtNet.,

The fact is that Thai banks are at a different stage of devleopment from the banks in the country you come from, that's the way it is so best just accept it or if totally unhappy, move back (no direspect intended).

• Like 1

I went to SCB when I first got here four years ago to inquire about opening an account. They said they wouldn't do it unless I had a one year retirement visa. Bangkok Bank had no such restriction, and were happy to set up an account for me. I have always gotten great service from them, especially at my home branch, Chang Puek in Chiang Mai. Good people.

I would recommend Bangkok Bank. Good exchange rates and fast service, if exchanging TC's, at least in Khon Kaen. SCB needed more then 1 hour to change a TC, Bangkok Bank did it in 5 minutes. Also good is Kasikorn Bank for this service.

I went to SCB when I first got here four years ago to inquire about opening an account. They said they wouldn't do it unless I had a one year retirement visa. Bangkok Bank had no such restriction, and were happy to set up an account for me. I have always gotten great service from them, especially at my home branch, Chang Puek in Chiang Mai. Good people.

Despite having lived here for ten years there are still banks in Chiang Mai that will not allow me to open an account, TMB is one of them. I have accounts with all the other banks but it has become something of a game trying to open one with TMB, not that I really want or need one.

I know that if I went to TMB at Airport Plaza and I pushed the point I would be allowed to open account with them, but I prefer to keep trying at TMB on Chan Klan where the manager refuses to accept that farangs without a work permit can open an account, it's great sport that I can recommend to anyone, if ever you're bored in CM then give it a try.

My point however is that any foreigner can open an account with any Thai bank as long as they are prepared to keep trying different branches until such time as they find a manager who is not completely brain dead.

• Like 1

The major Thai banks are similar when it comes to their services.

As you initially might have quite a few dealings with the branch you open the account I propose you chose one with a good location for you, and where they provide you a good service. Why not make a round to some of them and ask general questions about what they require for opening an account (even if you believe you know it) and compare the service you get. Then make your choice.

Remember, in Thailand you sometimes have to use your "home" branch for certain services, so select a branch near your home.

Isn't that the same policy in every country of the world? I believe so.

No, I've gotten replacement ATM cards at non-home branches in the U.S. Also, documentation, etc, that would normally have to be done at a home branch in Thailand.

We have accounts at one credit where we haven't set foot in that city for three decades, yet they still manage to handle our business via internet, fax, mail and phonecalls. That includes getting new car loans, where the vehicles (and us) were out-of-state.

Of the two, SCB is the less risky bank, it has a solid balance sheet.

Nothing wrong with Bangkok Bank's Balance Sheet at all. SCB and BBL both have no risks, they came through the 1997 financial crisis without problem. Secondly, the political connections preclude these banks ever going down. I have banked with BBL for 20 years in Thailand and also for two years prior to that with their London branch. I use SCB to pay Citibank credit cards and get excellent service. SCB has foreign exchange service in Seacon Square whereas BBL does not, also BBL insist on me driving to their international Branch on Bangna to deposit cheques for collection which would be a pain in the neck except in that branch there are no queues.

On occasion, I have used SCB for settling invoices with their customers and find them to be a pain in the neck. On a bad day, they look for any excuse to avoid even a simple transaction. Once, they asked me to take cash from the ATM to use in processing a payment rather than do it more cheaply for me through the teller's computer terminal. The manager was involved in the transaction and relented when I asked him whether or not SCB was a real bank.

I agree. In both personal and business dealings with SCB at three different branches, I have found them pretty consistently unhelpful and even arrogant. it may just be the corporate culture they have developed over the years. Who knows, it may be connected to the fact that it was Thailand's first proper modern domestic bank and was royally founded, conferring upon it as employees the belief that they are somehow special.

Bangkok Bank, on the other hand, I have found to be more appreciative of my business and helpful when problems arise.

I have and like SCB ....

BUT two not nice features with the online banking are :

Only allows 20 registered accounts to pay too so once that's full you have to delete an account even if you still use it etc ...

And I do...and setting up accounts is timely cos you need to send one time code messages to mobile and enter etc etc

Doesn't allow English nickname for account so not easy to spot who's who if you don't read Thai...

Ps If any members know ways round this pls advice !!! Thx !

Oh and Bank book doesn't show much/ANY info re credits or debit account/name but think this is same on all bank books maybe !

I have accounts with both SCB and BKK and there are a few differences.

Firstly SCB will not open a FCD (Foreign Currency Deposit) account unless you have a work permit and despite what is says on their website it's not possible 'at every branch in Thailand'! BKK bank will open one providing you have a Retirement Extension, however you have to go to the HO in Silom. Having jumped through all the hoops and filled in the various paperwork you'll get the account once they have received the minimum balance, 1,000 US$, please. You can then operate it online and use the local branch for day to day transactions. The manager at my local BKK branch speaks good English but with SCB not so good. Invariably SCB give a better exchange rate than BKK bank. Check them out at 'bankexchangerates.daytoday'.

You'll also find that there is a difference in who you can pay online it's limited!

• Like 1

I have and like SCB ....

Only allows 20 registered accounts to pay too so once that's full you have to delete an account even if you still use it etc ...

And I do...and setting up accounts is timely cos you need to send one time code messages to mobile and enter etc etc

Doesn't allow English nickname for account so not easy to spot who's who if you don't read Thai...

Oh and Bank book doesn't show much/ANY info re credits or debit account/name but think this is same on all bank books maybe !

I think you can select 'En' English, somewhere, for everything.

If you want to transfer money from your home country bank it would be worth while finding the bank which is a "Corresponding Bank" to your own bank.

That saves the possibility of money having to travel through intermediary banks and multiplies the possibility of problems.

I tried that with Standard Chartered, with whom I have an account. They basically shrugged and said "talk to them in Chiang Mai". Almost as if they are a different bank.

The exact same thing happened to me, except it was the teller at Bangkok Bank (Paragon branch), who asked me to take the cash to UOP bank for a transfer.

Sometimes I wonder in which century, no, in which millenium, Thai banks are. They are ALL a pain in the neck when it comes to customer service and simple things like transfer money form one account to another.

I find it unbelievable that in the year 2013 I have to fax (yes, fax! You know, the machines our grandfather used) the ATM printout for the recipient to enable him to identify the transaction.

Bottom line: All Thai banks are bad and it depends largely on the current staff in a particular branch how happy you are. Bear in mind, the staff changes every 2 years.

Huh? Nonsense. You don't have to fax anything. Just cut and paste the transfer from on-line and email it to the recipient. We do it all the time. The Swiss banks were the last hold outs in the world to demand faxes for everything. But even they caved in a couple of years ago and will accept unencrypted emails for transfer instructions.

There is nothing wrong with Thai banks (or brokerage firms for that matter). They function just fine.

If you want to transfer money from your home country bank it would be worth while finding the bank which is a "Corresponding Bank" to your own bank.

That saves the possibility of money having to travel through intermediary banks and multiplies the possibility of problems.

How to know this ?

Any Internet link ?

Thanks.

Despite having lived here for ten years there are still banks in Chiang Mai that will not allow me to open an account, TMB is one of them. I have accounts with all the other banks but it has become something of a game trying to open one with TMB, not that I really want or need one.

I know that if I went to TMB at Airport Plaza and I pushed the point I would be allowed to open account with them, but I prefer to keep trying at TMB on Chan Klan where the manager refuses to accept that farangs without a work permit can open an account, it's great sport that I can recommend to anyone, if ever you're bored in CM then give it a try.

My point however is that any foreigner can open an account with any Thai bank as long as they are prepared to keep trying different branches until such time as they find a manager who is not completely brain dead.

I've had accounts with 4 different Thai banks and there was never a problem opening an account with any of them.

I have and like SCB ....

Bangkok Bank allows English nick names for Internet banking. And Bank Books show account name, in the language of your choice.

I have both as it does not hurt to have a backup. I like Bangkok Bank better.

I, too, have both. I use Bangkok Bank for direct deposit to their NY Branch (Chase Bank) and SCB for most things local. Thus Bangkok Bank tends to fill up and I transfer what I need daily to SCB.

YES - SCB has poorly trained managers. Often, the Sr. Tellers & Jr. Officers are the people who really run the bank...

I am having some physical difficulty in accessing my direct deposit account funds. Mr. Gillard is an executive VP of BBL and a member of Thai Visa. He has offered to help any Thai Visa member with problems at the bank. Here is his response to my request for assistance:

"Please email me on XXXXX . Then I can deal with you in a confidential and professional manner. I am not sure what I can do, but believe me I will pull out the stops and try to see what we can arrange for you in terms of special processes. If I can in any way ease your situation I will, but we are a big bank and I can only do what the organization will allow.

But, we have many kind and understanding people. Let's hope we can get them all together to work something out for you.

Ian Guy Gillard

Executive Vice President

Bangkok Bank PCL"

I think this speaks volumes about the type of service Bangkok Bank gives to it's customers.

Edited by Sheryl
email address removed
  • Like 1

NancyL #9 is right on the money on all accounts. Using Bangkok Bank New York, I made -- online -- monthly domestic transfers from USAA Federal Savings for years at no cost to me (other than the $5 Bangkok Bank New York charges).

I recently needed to withdraw money -- by proxy -- from both Bangkok Bank & Siam Commercial Bank, each at different times. In each case, after withdrawing the funds, my friend, the "proxy," purchased with Thai baht from Bangkok Bank a bank draft in U.S. dollars; the exchange rate was the same as if transferring electronically (i.e., the best option). Official bank writing on the draft indicated that the funds were payable at a bank in Delaware; as such, I was able to cash the drafts immediately in the U.S. without the delay that surely would apply to foreign drafts (i.e., the draft was considered domestic).

The one draw-back was that my friend had to fly to Udon Thani to take care of these transactions, since that's where my home banks are located.

Per electrified #11, the answer is "no." In the U.S., I can perform virtually all services at any branch of most banks.

Kasikorn seems to be a favored bank to many, but in all my years in Thailand (starting in 1978 & includes 7 years living there), I have heard & read horror stories involving someone's account getting wiped clean from only one bank: Kasikorn. Never heard anything like that about Bangkok Bank nor SCB.

My opinion of Udon Thani main branches (near the Clock Tower Traffic Circle):

1. Bangkok Bank. Poor waiting service. On a busy day (e.g., after local payday), you might wait two hours for a teller. Sometimes at lunch, only one teller is open. On-the-other-hand, non-teller service is exemplary & is handled on the second level. My wife & I once walked upstairs & asked to transfer 3.8 million baht to the U.S. While I was concerned about having the proper documentation to show I qualified to do this, the rep told me it wasn't necessary, that my wife -- a Thai citizen -- could transfer the amount without fuss. This is because I am my spouse's family, the account in the U.S. was mine, & Bangkok Bank allows foreign transfers for the purpose of supporting family.

2. Siam Commercial Bank. Fantastic customer service. Bank reps greet you at the door when entering & will do everything they can for you. Had my home mortgage with them. When we sold our house years later, the bank proportionally refunded part of the up-front life insurance on my wife that was required with the mortgage. Unfortunately, SCB is more rigid regarding international transfers. A rep once told me that, under certain circumstances you can transfer up to 20,000 baht, but I didn't seem to qualify.

I have and like SCB ....

I, too, have a Kasikorn account and so have to use an intermediary for funds transfer. 'Had to do a bit of head-banging to figure out who the intermediary for Kbank actually WAS, but after that very easy and almost perfectly transparent. (Yes, yes, the intermediary takes a small - 0.5% or less - piece, but otherwise perfectly transparent, and no significant delays. The funds are often in my account & available at the opening bell the very next day.) The number of Thai banks with whom your home bank can deal directly is going to be pretty limited. I could be wrong, but I think even Bangkok Bank has a US subsidiary (Bangkok Bank of NY or somesuch) that you'll have to go through in getting funds from your home bank into your Thai account.

I, too, have a Kasikorn account and so have to use an intermediary for funds transfer. 'Had to do a bit of head-banging to figure out who the intermediary for Kbank actually WAS, but after that very easy and almost perfectly transparent. (Yes, yes, the intermediary takes a small - 0.5% or less - piece, but otherwise perfectly transparent, and no significant delays. The funds are often in my account & available at the opening bell the very next day.) The number of Thai banks with whom your home bank can deal directly is going to be pretty limited. I could be wrong, but I think even Bangkok Bank has a US subsidiary (Bangkok Bank of NY or somesuch) that you'll have to go through in getting funds from your home bank into your Thai account.

Bangkok Bank acts as its own correspondent in the US via its branch in NY.

Your friends know a thing or two. Go with SCB every time. They are the largest Bank in the country and the oldest bank here also. More importantly they have the best Internet Banking system in Thailand.

Actually Bangkok Bank is the largest based on assets. Bangkok Bank was established in 1944 so not the oldest but around a bit. smile.png

• Like 1

I have accounts at both banks. However, if you are bringing money in from another country, Bangkok Bank is the one to go with. They offer Direct deposit and (FCD) Foreign Currency Deposit accounts. They are the only Thai bank with branches in other places like NYC and London. It's a bit of a hassle to get the DD and/or FCD accounts set up, but once set up they work well and offer a very good exchange rate. I can always get my money in 24-48 hours and the fees are reasonable.

Good Luck!

Edited by Traveling Sailor

I do logon to the English site, everything is in English..... EXCEPT ALL the Thai account names !!!!!

I have and like SCB ....

I think you can select 'En' English, somewhere, for everything.