Buying a New Suzuki Swift - Any Advice?

Bardeh

^Agreed. That phosphate coating bath is standard procedure for every car manufacturer AFIK. I suspect there must be a defective procedure at Suzuki at their plant for this to happen. This is highly unusual.

As far as climate causing rust, I can attest that the climate in Phuket causes rust a lot faster than inland places where I've lived. I noticed rust appearing a lot sooner on my S Class than even my economy cars inland. But the OP said he was in Bangkok, so should not be a factor.

Geratul - I checked my car today - no signs of rust or corrosion anywhere. I guess it must have been one of a bad bunch. One area that might rust is around the rear hatch seal, as the rubber is tight up against the metal. I didn't see any problem there but will keep an eye on it. What other car did you end up buying now?

Culicine, I'm very happy to hear that you don't face the rust problems and let's hope it stays away. As said before every car is a mass producted item, so it can always happen. Nevertheless when you read the thai ownersclub they already mentioned about the rust problems from the Swift, so I'm not the only one. Some members face rust under the matress and also under the door rubbers. I bought my Swift because I really liked the car and needed to wait a terrible 7 months before delivery. And then you got this! I was really shocked, I could really break of some metal because it was completely rusted. My friends face the same problems with rust so keep an eye on it. The most terrible is the Suzuki organization who keeps very long quiet. Till now no sign of life from them, but for me it's ok, I sold it and I can start with a new car. I ordered the new Toyota Yaris and when everything is good I will get it delivered this week already.

Culicine, I wish you good luck and many safe kilometers with your Swift but keep an eye on it.

Thanks, I'll keep an eye on it. Good luck with the yaris too. The toyota service should be ok. I found the paint to be a bit thin in some parts of the brio/mirage, so check on that. The paint was also think in the swift, ut that was in the trunk and not exposed on the outside or in the engine bay.I'd also suggest you get some extra chassis coating or some extra rust proofing too on your new car. Can never be too careful with these cheaper cars.

Edited by culicine

I was under the impression the Swift was an imported model. I stand corrected.

As for the rust.....it shouldn't happen if the car body has been given a phosphorous bath.

attachicon.gifCropperCapture38.jpg

attachicon.gifCropperCapture39.jpg

attachicon.gifCropperCapture45.jpg

Now you know they are manufactured in Thai. No good showing photo of a phosphorous bath unless it's being done on the Swift which this subject is about. Is it done on the Suzuki?

Edited by John 1

Geratul - I checked my car today - no signs of rust or corrosion anywhere. I guess it must have been one of a bad bunch. One area that might rust is around the rear hatch seal, as the rubber is tight up against the metal. I didn't see any problem there but will keep an eye on it. What other car did you end up buying now?

Culicine, I'm very happy to hear that you don't face the rust problems and let's hope it stays away. As said before every car is a mass producted item, so it can always happen. Nevertheless when you read the thai ownersclub they already mentioned about the rust problems from the Swift, so I'm not the only one. Some members face rust under the matress and also under the door rubbers. I bought my Swift because I really liked the car and needed to wait a terrible 7 months before delivery. And then you got this! I was really shocked, I could really break of some metal because it was completely rusted. My friends face the same problems with rust so keep an eye on it. The most terrible is the Suzuki organization who keeps very long quiet. Till now no sign of life from them, but for me it's ok, I sold it and I can start with a new car. I ordered the new Toyota Yaris and when everything is good I will get it delivered this week already.

Culicine, I wish you good luck and many safe kilometers with your Swift but keep an eye on it.

Thanks, I'll keep an eye on it. Good luck with the yaris too. The toyota service should be ok. I found the paint to be a bit thin in some parts of the brio/mirage, so check on that. The paint was also think in the swift, ut that was in the trunk and not exposed on the outside or in the engine bay.I'd also suggest you get some extra chassis coating or some extra rust proofing too on your new car. Can never be too careful with these cheaper cars.

Has in my point of view nothing to do with thin paint or a cheap car. When you look to the paint of for instance a BMW you will be surprised also. 2 of my colleagues have a Nissan March from 2011 and 2012 and also no problem at all. 1 of my colleague owns a Mitsubishi Mirage from 2012 (lives in Phuket) and also no problem at all and they are absolutely not car-washers. With other words for them a car is a car and see... not one spot of corrosion. Point is that Suzuki has absolutely a problem in the manufacturing-line. First of all what I hope is that Suzuki will solve it for them selves as it will cost them for sure potential customers. But secondly and more important what Suzuki should do is to come as fast as possible with a decent solution towards its Swift-drivers who face corrosion problems. Because till now Suzuki is quiet, stay quiet and act almost in a way of "it's your problem". Then you ask your self. What does it mean 3 years Suzuki-warranty or 100.000 km ?

What a great information. Yesterday I went to the Chevrolet dealer and want to get a price for my Suzuki Swift. GLX-version in Boost Blue Pearl Metallic from January 2013 with 24.000 km. Price 559000 baht. I need some more space, so that's why my walk to Chevrolet. He starts to call with the traders and came back to me. First he start with.... wrong color and wrong car! There we go again I thought and then he said that many cars where bought under the first car scheme from last year so that will reduce my price. But then he starts talking about the lousy quality of the car and he wasn't sure if the car don't get body problems in a later stage. He show me some paperwork from a Suzuki club where I could read the problems they faced with the Swift. He also show me some fax papers from traders they send among them where to look at the Swift. Indeed in the rubber areas, the hoods and under the carpets. Finally he could give me a price of 275000 baht and when I order at once the Sonic Sedan LTZ he could give me a extra of 25000 baht. So that ends at 300000 baht. My car shows no corrosion at all but the Swift reputation is already not good.

• Like 1

What a great information. Yesterday I went to the Chevrolet dealer and want to get a price for my Suzuki Swift. GLX-version in Boost Blue Pearl Metallic from January 2013 with 24.000 km. Price 559000 baht. I need some more space, so that's why my walk to Chevrolet. He starts to call with the traders and came back to me. First he start with.... wrong color and wrong car! There we go again I thought and then he said that many cars where bought under the first car scheme from last year so that will reduce my price. But then he starts talking about the lousy quality of the car and he wasn't sure if the car don't get body problems in a later stage. He show me some paperwork from a Suzuki club where I could read the problems they faced with the Swift. He also show me some fax papers from traders they send among them where to look at the Swift. Indeed in the rubber areas, the hoods and under the carpets. Finally Sell the car youhe could give me a price of 275000 baht and when I order at once the Sonic Sedan LTZ he could give me a extra of 25000 baht. So that ends at 300000 baht. My car shows no corrosion at all but the Swift reputation is already not good.

Sell the car yourself even if you drop the car 25% it should sell for that, its still a popular car & giving you 100,000 baht more in your pocket to boot...

What a great information. Yesterday I went to the Chevrolet dealer and want to get a price for my Suzuki Swift. GLX-version in Boost Blue Pearl Metallic from January 2013 with 24.000 km. Price 559000 baht. I need some more space, so that's why my walk to Chevrolet. He starts to call with the traders and came back to me. First he start with.... wrong color and wrong car! There we go again I thought and then he said that many cars where bought under the first car scheme from last year so that will reduce my price. But then he starts talking about the lousy quality of the car and he wasn't sure if the car don't get body problems in a later stage. He show me some paperwork from a Suzuki club where I could read the problems they faced with the Swift. He also show me some fax papers from traders they send among them where to look at the Swift. Indeed in the rubber areas, the hoods and under the carpets. Finally Sell the car youhe could give me a price of 275000 baht and when I order at once the Sonic Sedan LTZ he could give me a extra of 25000 baht. So that ends at 300000 baht. My car shows no corrosion at all but the Swift reputation is already not good.

Sell the car yourself even if you drop the car 25% it should sell for that, its still a popular car & giving you 100,000 baht more in your pocket to boot...

all top model swifts (1.2) on taladrod have an asking price over 400K. Dealers always give a crap price for trade in but 300K is ridiculous. Dealers don't care if the car 'might rust'. They are going to sell it anyway. You got done.

^Agreed. That phosphate coating bath is standard procedure for every car manufacturer AFIK. I suspect there must be a defective procedure at Suzuki at their plant for this to happen. This is highly unusual.

As far as climate causing rust, I can attest that the climate in Phuket causes rust a lot faster than inland places where I've lived. I noticed rust appearing a lot sooner on my S Class than even my economy cars inland. But the OP said he was in Bangkok, so should not be a factor.

Agreed Phuket is all nearer the ocean but as the crow flies Bangkok is also not that far away from the ocean. South of Bangna or over on Pratcha-Utit are still only 13kms from the ocean

From a corrosion stand point 3-25kms is considered "Coastal". Less than 3 is considered "Marine" and less than 500m is Coastal/Severe

all top model swifts (1.2) on taladrod have an asking price over 400K. Dealers always give a crap price for trade in but 300K is ridiculous. Dealers don't care if the car 'might rust'. They are going to sell it anyway. You got done.

The key here is asking. Not selling. Dealers have overheads and staff and, and... so of course they offer less. Then given all the 'first time" cars a lot of which were Suzuki that are floating around. Is losing 50% in a year too much? Think of the "real" world, you lose 30% just driving off the lot.

In any deal there has to be two happy parties so whatever deal is reached is OK.

The you got done statement is typical keyboard warrior stuff with no bearing in the real world.

The key here is asking. Not selling. Dealers have overheads and staff and, and... so of course they offer less. Then given all the 'first time" cars a lot of which were Suzuki that are floating around. Is losing 50% in a year too much? Think of the "real" world, you lose 30% just driving off the lot.

In any deal there has to be two happy parties so whatever deal is reached is OK.

The you got done statement is typical keyboard warrior stuff with no bearing in the real world.

Selling a one year old car for 300K baht with a new car price at 560K baht is a huge los.

Yes don't sell to a dealer unless you are desperate.

I sold a car last year for 365K baht and I bought it 3 year earlier (then 2 years old) for 480K baht.

Okay 2'nd hand prices have dropped and I guess you take the biggest loos in the first 1-3 years.

I think it's best to keep your car/truck for min 5-6 years and then sell it.

OT

I'm buying a new Suzuki truck. Went to the dealer today to discuss the fibreglass back, Extra A/C , LPG etc.. OK we will come back on Thursday to confirm the order etc., etc.

"Oh no problem" Said the salesman "I will come to your office on Thursday and bring those odd spare parts you need, which we will have to order" ( plastic wheel hub cover, four body bumpers and two plastic tailgate clips)

Who says there is no dealer service in Thailand.

Also OT

I was looking at an Ertiga but decided on another truck instead. In India Ertiga can be had petrol, diesel or petrol/CNG from the factory. Just for all the LPG conversion nay sayers, Ertiga engine comes built for gas conversion. Funnily the Ertiga's 1.4l engine has marginally more grunt than the truck's venerable 1.6l.

OT

I'm buying a new Suzuki truck. Went to the dealer today to discuss the fibreglass back, Extra A/C , LPG etc.. OK we will come back on Thursday to confirm the order etc., etc.

"Oh no problem" Said the salesman "I will come to your office on Thursday and bring those odd spare parts you need, which we will have to order" ( plastic wheel hub cover, four body bumpers and two plastic tailgate clips)

Who says there is no dealer service in Thailand.

Also OT

I was looking at an Ertiga but decided on another truck instead. In India Ertiga can be had petrol, diesel or petrol/CNG from the factory. Just for all the LPG conversion nay sayers, Ertiga engine comes built for gas conversion. Funnily the Ertiga's 1.4l engine has marginally more grunt than the truck's venerable 1.6l.

Good info for Suzuki Swift buyers.

• 2 weeks later...

The price on Taladrod is what you (as owner) likes to get for your car, which will not mean you ultimately will get that price. Did you also see on Taladrod how long the cars are there on sale? says enough I should think. Eventually it's always a luck when you get the price you like to get for your car :)

I was under the impression the Swift was an imported model. I stand corrected.

As for the rust.....it shouldn't happen if the car body has been given a phosphorous bath.

attachicon.gifCropperCapture38.jpg

attachicon.gifCropperCapture39.jpg

attachicon.gifCropperCapture45.jpg

Now you know they are manufactured in Thai. No good showing photo of a phosphorous bath unless it's being done on the Swift which this subject is about. Is it done on the Suzuki?

"it shouldn't happen if the car body has been given a phosphorous bath." I said 'IF'! A Japanese company not using best practise, no matter where the factory, seems unbelievable in this day and age.

• 2 weeks later...

What a great information. Yesterday I went to the Chevrolet dealer and want to get a price for my Suzuki Swift. GLX-version in Boost Blue Pearl Metallic from January 2013 with 24.000 km. Price 559000 baht. I need some more space, so that's why my walk to Chevrolet. He starts to call with the traders and came back to me. First he start with.... wrong color and wrong car! There we go again I thought and then he said that many cars where bought under the first car scheme from last year so that will reduce my price. But then he starts talking about the lousy quality of the car and he wasn't sure if the car don't get body problems in a later stage. He show me some paperwork from a Suzuki club where I could read the problems they faced with the Swift. He also show me some fax papers from traders they send among them where to look at the Swift. Indeed in the rubber areas, the hoods and under the carpets. Finally he could give me a price of 275000 baht and when I order at once the Sonic Sedan LTZ he could give me a extra of 25000 baht. So that ends at 300000 baht. My car shows no corrosion at all but the Swift reputation is already not good.

I would be interested in talking with you about your car. I am interested in purchasing a GLX. Can you contact me, please?

All member..

I owned my suzuki new swift on september 2013, imported cbu from thailand.

Anyone can tell and show me where and how to check swift's chorrosion or rust issues.. Because i dont understand about this conversation and where can i check on my car to find that rust or chorrosions.. Trims before...

• 1 month later...

Interested in your post as I am considering buying a new Swift.

The 2014 Swift is manufactured in Thailand yours would have come from Japan or Malaysia I think I wonder if that is why you have the problem??

I'm getting a new Swift for the wife in a couple of months time. It'll be GL MT as we both prefer the extra drivability, economy, performance and control a manual gives.

We'll also keepan eye out for rust.

Sent from my GT-P3100 using Tapatalk