Can Bangkok stop the decline of its nightlife?

webfact

The OP should have compared Bangkok to KL, Singapore, HCM City and not to my former hometown of Berlin. The only place Bkk might loose against is Jakarta. They have some great places and its great to mingle around with the local Indonesians.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have read most of the posts in this thread (and skimmed through the rest)..

What most of you have failed to mention is that the key point is the closing-time requirement. Correct me if I am wrong, but about 90 percent of Bangkok clubs close at 2 am, due to the requirement. The remaining 10 percent obviously are the ones with 'connections'.

NO danceclub scene anywhere in the world can be good, with a 2 am closing-time thing. Danceclub-goers are usually ones who want to enter the club around midnight and want to dance till around 4-5 am. Some might say 'Why don't club-goers start early (ie. around 9 pm) and dance till 2 and be content' ; but , hey, it doesn't work like that for most folks.

The authorities should change at least Friday and Saturday nights' closing time to 4 or 5 am.

I remember the good old 90's (especially early and mid 90's) in Bangkok. I was dancing at various clubs (at least once a week) till around 5 !

• Like 1

It's not hard to find a club open till 5am (and even later) in BKK. Plenty of options for the tourist / sex tourist crowd and others. Safehouse and Wip are 2 decent Thai after hours places.

My earlier post was removed it seems which is annoying.

Basically I said BKK does have a diverse and varied nightlife with clubs and scenes ranging from Jazz, metal, D&B, techo, indie, rock, blues, folk, punk, house and everything in between you just have to know where to find it and as most farang never venture out Nana Plaza and Soi Cowboy they aren't going to see it.

• Like 1

For me, as long as the beer is cold and there is plenty of crumpet around to perve at, I'm having a good night out. If the music offered is not too clever I slap in the earphones and I'm my own DJ.

If you really do want a decent night out and are of a Heavy Metal persuasion could I put in a shameless plug for Bangkok Thrash 5 which is on tomorrow at The Rock Pub in Rachatewi.

Bands from Aus and all over the ASEAN region are playing including the excellent Dictator from Laos.

Rock on!!!

• Like 1

I agree with what OP was saying in that the BKK nightlife certainly isn't what it used to, whilst also agreeing with the posts stating that the clubs and bars are catering to the market.

Look at the bars on RCA; there heaving every weekend. Mostly with Thais and unfortunately ,IMHO, playing mostly Thai music..

As someone else said, the majority of clubs and bars close at 2 or 2:30am. After that, your stuck with Shock, Spicy, Bossy - I'm sure there are more - someone mentioned SafeHouse & WIP, although I've never heard of those. The music at Shock is usually okay, as long as you don't overly mind the company you are keeping. Last time I went to Bossy, I thought I'd miraculously been transported to Mumbai!! [if you're Indian & reading this, please ask your compatriots to shower and use deodorant occasionally]

Anyway I think the Electro/House/Techno scene in BKK is still alive and kicking - you just have to know we're to go (and be lucky that there's a good DJ and a good mixed crowd there on the night)

One place that a good dj and quality funky David Guetta style house tunes is Baccara go go bar in Soi Cowboy, I know it's not a club, but I have there many time with friends and I enjoyed the music and also looking at the girls too, though my wife does not enjoy looking at the girls.

david guetta is the lowest common denominator of commercial house.

I've been to Glow, Narz and Bed when they have superstar Dj's on and i'm amazed that it doesn't sound a whole lot different to what was playing at Ministry of sound, Back to basics or Gatecrasher in the 90's. Nearly 20 years ago!

The main difference is then it had new and exciting killer Tunes (plus the drugs were obviously a big part of it)

The youth over the last decade or so have failed to keep the creative cycle turning and instead churning out weak, pale imitations of old ideas

Maybe its the internet and easy access to music of the past thats stunting creativity and making everyone so retrospective.

Think about it, playing hip hop and house music in 2013. How cool was 70's disco and prog rock in the 90's? or how fresh was the jitterbug in the 70's?

Its a tired old scene really, not just in Bangkok but all over the world.

utter twaddle.

So whats new?

There is nothing new, you absolutely correct.

It's a tired scene being kept alive by a bunch of old men Superstar DJ's because contemporary music has so little to say any longer.

There are no new scenes that are rallying the youth, to create or to express themselves.

There's little for anyone to rebel against (although in Thailand there is actually plenty!)

Its amazing that Acid House broke in 1987 and 25 years later it's still seen as the cutting edge of music culture.

To paraphrase a well known quote "It's like Punk never happend"

How terribly sad

So true. If you played late 80s acid house to someone in 1983, they'd be like 'what the hell is this?' - they'd probably be genuinely shocked. Whereas I think if you played something considered 'cutting edge' now to someone in 87 or 88, there'd be little shock or curiosity because things have barely moved on. In terms of electronic music, there's been jungle and 2-step in the UK which have been fairly radical as far as formal innovation goes. But nothing really since then. And watching music TV recently, it seems things are permanently stuck in about 1998...

SafeHouse & WIP

Thai after hour clubs in Thong Lor / Ekkamai area....no sex tourists or hookers in sight.

Yes outstanding women and a refreshing absence of whoremongers at those two joints but both have "DJs" that play dreadful, cacophonic, car-alarm electro-pop.

• Like 1

Wholeheartedly agree. If I was richer than Croesus I would buy a few clubs and keep throwing good music at them until they get hooked on it, even if it means hiring the artists at loss. There's nothing like some quality sounds coming out of some big fookoff quality speakers and quality tweakers. Bit of Spor, bit of DeadMau5, plenty of filthy underground psy, lots of imports from London and Berlin etc etc. . . . well, one can dream.

A <snip> mens.

Edited by soundman
Excessive profanity.
  • Like 2

I may have made my last visit to Sukhumvit Road last night. Almost a scene from Hell. Very expensive prices. 100 THB for a small beer at a sidewalk bar? Is it there high overhead? It used to be great. 500 THB bar fine for a 35 yo, who is probably a grandma? 500 can get you a lot better in Phayao, all inclusive, but they don't serve Guiness. I did do a couple of large Leos for 60 THB near my hotel in Ratchada.

• Like 1

The problem is there aren't any nightlife activities that the OP likes or fits in with her interests.

There is no decline in Bangkok nightlife

There's loads of clubs in RCA, Ratchada, Thong Lo, Khao San that are full of punters every Friday and Saturday.

It's just that they cater to their clientele who are mostly Thai rather than Western.

They are not interested in an underground scene for the most part but want to hear Tunes that they and their friends know.

The music and club scene here is totally mainstream for the most part and that's because it's conducive to being Sanook.

When Thais go out they want Sanook, not too interested in being cool and underground or being educated about sounds either.

It's also about sitting around with your pals sharing a bottle and laughs rather than loosing it on the dancefloor for hours on end.

Clubbing in BangkoK is a very different animal to what it is in Europe or the USA

What Thais like: "When Thais go out they want Sanook, not too interested in being cool and underground or being educated about sounds either."

What the OP likes: "I would love to see more nights like the opening of Bash Nightclub where robots and midgets dressed like extraterrestrials splashed in silver paint"

I really hope Bangkok continues catering to the Thai taste. To me it sounds like the OP is looking for a circus, not a nightclub :-)

Yes it does seem that the music simply isn't enough any more. Seems it's all about a spectacle rather than dancing and having a good time.

Anyway, I found this on TripAdvisor .

Looks like he or she echoes a few of the opinions on this thread.

When all's said and done, Bangkok never has been and never WILL be a credible clubbing destination. It doesn't matter what the club's Facebook hype says; at the end of the day, people come to BKK to get muntered and/or get laid with girls of a calibre they couldn't DREAM of pulling back home - that's pretty much it.

Those entertainment districts you referred to (Thonglor, Ekamai, RCA, Ratchada etc.) are actually the coolest in Bangkok (Thailand actually) and that's where you go to be seen, or just have fun with friends, although you can't hear what they are saying because the music is so loud. Those places are really all I know about nightlife in Thailand, and apart from the controversy at RCA over drink coupons they sometimes force only foreigners to buy (I have never experienced this myself as I have always gone in for free and paid for drinks with my friends once inside) I see plenty of attractive chicks inside and usually some really good tunes (though not always of course).

I heard good things about RCA. I went and was very underwhelmed. I was actually astonished people had labeled this place as having a good music scene. I am sure it depends on the night you go though. It is more of a snobbish vibe, very plasticy music, with some extremely hot girls. Narz is the best I have heard personally in BKK, with a couple of late nights liquid coming in a close second.

The problem is there aren't any nightlife activities that the OP likes or fits in with her interests.

There is no decline in Bangkok nightlife

There's loads of clubs in RCA, Ratchada, Thong Lo, Khao San that are full of punters every Friday and Saturday.

It's just that they cater to their clientele who are mostly Thai rather than Western.

They are not interested in an underground scene for the most part but want to hear Tunes that they and their friends know.

The music and club scene here is totally mainstream for the most part and that's because it's conducive to being Sanook.

When Thais go out they want Sanook, not too interested in being cool and underground or being educated about sounds either.

It's also about sitting around with your pals sharing a bottle and laughs rather than loosing it on the dancefloor for hours on end.

Clubbing in BangkoK is a very different animal to what it is in Europe or the USA

Perfect explanation. And this is why thai nightlife is bullshit.

Glad I'm not here for that.

I heard good things about RCA. I went and was very underwhelmed. I was actually astonished people had labeled this place as having a good music scene. I am sure it depends on the night you go though. It is more of a snobbish vibe, very plasticy music, with some extremely hot girls. Narz is the best I have heard personally in BKK, with a couple of late nights liquid coming in a close second.

Narz and Nana Liquid? LOL c'mon. Full of hookers.

RCA has lots of choice so you should find something there that you like. Lots of different music from Western pop, Thai pop-rock, jazz, hip-hop, techno, indie etc....what do you like?

I think RCA is only worth going to at the weekends though when everywhere is busy. During the week only some places are and it's not nearly as good fun.

Narz and Nana Liquid? LOL c'mon. Full of hookers.

RCA has lots of choice so you should find something there that you like. Lots of different music from Western pop, Thai pop-rock, jazz, hip-hop, techno, indie etc....what do you like?

I think RCA is only worth going to at the weekends though when everywhere is busy. During the week only some places are and it's not nearly as good fun.

Yes, narz and liquid. I don't care who is inside, but those places were playing better music when i went.

Berlin has plenty of prostitution as well. But they have options, that's what the writer means.

What Bangkok needs is some options for non slumming youngish people who enjoy dancing. Shouldn't be too hard when places like Bed, Bash etc kind of pull it off. Wish there was more door control to rid the clubs of undesirables but then I guess they wouldn't be full.

Berlin has plenty of prostitution as well. But they have options, that's what the writer means.

What Bangkok needs is some options for non slumming youngish people who enjoy dancing. Shouldn't be too hard when places like Bed, Bash etc kind of pull it off. Wish there was more door control to rid the clubs of undesirables but then I guess they wouldn't be full.

But there are plenty of options for young people.

The young Thai's seem perfectly happy and are out in droves every weekend at clubs all over Bangkok.

Most of them don't like to dance so providing lots of options for clubs where you can dance makes no sense.

The young tourists and expats are out every weekend too and they seem to be enjoying themselves usually at clubs where you can dance....mostly at Kowsan or certain clubs in Sukhumvit.

Bed and Bash are just crappy whore filled venues that pretend to be high end.

Bangkok has something for almost everyone.

If people can't enjoy themselves they are probably just a miserable bastard.

But there are plenty of options for young people.

The young Thai's seem perfectly happy and are out in droves every weekend at clubs all over Bangkok.

Most of them don't like to dance so providing lots of options for clubs where you can dance makes no sense.

The young tourists and expats are out every weekend too and they seem to be enjoying themselves usually at clubs where you can dance....mostly at Kowsan or certain clubs in Sukhumvit.

Bed and Bash are just crappy whore filled venues that pretend to be high end.

Bangkok has something for almost everyone.

If people can't enjoy themselves they are probably just a miserable bastard.

There are English language magazine and sites in Thailand even though a majority of the population dosen't speak English. So there is obviously room for nitches in such a large city.

As for having fun, I think everybody can find something they like in Bangkok. But my critique still stands. I mentioned bed and bash as places that kind of get it right because they look nice and play decent music but the doormen letting every body in does a disservice to the demographic.

When Im in Bangkok and go out its generally with a group of young western people both male and female so Thai style rock bars and clubs aren't on the agenda. Fun times for an experience a few times but just not my thing.

So there is obviously room for nitches in such a large city.

And the niches are catered to, there really is something for all types of people in BKK. It's just that you don't seem to like those places that is all. Many others do hence why most clubs are packed every weekend.