Can Bangkok stop the decline of its nightlife?

webfact

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bangkok's 'nightlife' is capable of 'declining' huh.png

Perhaps nightlife as we know it is ending, or thinning out significantly. I've been in sasia for over a decade, so I might be out of touch, but here the market for club venues seems small compared to say Berlin or say NYC, where I used to live.The business plans must be tough. coffee1.gif

Bkk, no comparison to Singapore either if you like trendy modern night clubs.

Not sure there is enough falang people in the 20-30 age range to support that living in Bkk. In Singapore and even KL and Jakarta, the locals are just as interested in the latest international house music as they are in same but native tongue equivalent. Turn the radio dial here in Thailand and don't hear much equivalent so to be expected it aint here in the clubs either!

Narz in soi 23 has a trance/progressive house room, a hip hop/R&B/ house room and also a breakbeat/chill out room, not many farang go there and some of the Thai's in the trance room dance with glow sticks, it actually reminds of The Gallery @ Turnmills about 10 to 15 years ago. Some big name DJ's have been there recently, Paul Oakenfold, Ronski Speed, Lisa lashes, I wish I was in BKK now, it's a definitely somewhere I would be on a Friday or Saturday night.

• Like 1

Seems like there's two sides to our Barbara> I read this just a few days ago : "As she remarked on her life in each of the cities, it became obvious that Barbara has a deep affection for both Bangkok and Regina. She has learned to love Bangkok’s fast-paced lifestyle. With so much happening, she finds it hard to believe anyone could get bored. She loves how quickly the big city moves, but admits it can be exhausting at times. Fortunately, another one of Barbara’s favourite things about Bangkok is how easy it is to leave when things get hectic."

Now weeks later she's saying there's a lack of options? blink.png

Same old same old write anything as long as it gets printed rolleyes.gif

Compared to Chiang Mai, Bangkok is a rave.

In Chiang Mai the nightlife is practically non-existent and I mean, virtually nothing.

It`s great if you`re knocking on in years, housebound or a Monk.

I would love this lady to visit Chiang Mai and do an analysis here. I`m sure it would be an eye opener.

My advice to any tourists that enjoy wine, women and song is; don`t bother visiting anywhere in the North of Thailand and hopefully the rest of Thailand will not go the same way.

• Like 2

Been a long long time since I regularly frequented night clubs, either as an employee or for entertainment. However, what I do remember is that night clubs that want to survive cater to the needs of the market i.e. what the target clientel actually want. That varies considerably between different countries and regions within countries. I've seen many new night clubs open and close because they ignored that basic principle. A few manage to become the "in" place, some for a short time others more sustainable.

Berlin has always enjoyed a unique nightlife, as does London or LA. Would they work in Bangkok - doubt it. Would Soi Cowboy work in London - probably raided by the police on opening day. Some things just don't transfer.

• Like 2

I’m a woman.

../..

I wouldn’t say that my standards are too high or that I’m tough to please.

../..

I find myself longing for clubs where “sexy” isn’t slutty. In Berlin, many of the clubs don’t even have mirrors

Thai discos have TV screens showing sports, chairs, reasonable prices for beer and sexy girls dancing on stages, they are mostly made for men, and western-style discos in BKK also follow that principle to some extent.

The major part of BKK's male population is not used to crawl for weeks at women's feet while paying expensive nights out, and surprise surprise what women think is fun is usually not too fun for men.

Some men like dancing. I'm not one of them. A disco is a good place to pick up girls or going out with the GF and friends to do her a favor. Then I'm happy to speak with friends, watch slutty girls dancing or in the last resort look at what the TV screens are offering.

Maybe Barabra could give it a shot and open a nightclub in BKK to her taste. After all, it's an equal opportunity business.

disco.......cheesy.gif cheesy.gif .....thats funny,,,,,,,but your spot on

I’m a woman.

../..

../..

I find myself longing for clubs where “sexy” isn’t slutty. In Berlin, many of the clubs don’t even have mirrors

Thai discos have TV screens showing sports, chairs, reasonable prices for beer and sexy girls dancing on stages, they are mostly made for men, and western-style discos in BKK also follow that principle to some extent.

The major part of BKK's male population is not used to crawl for weeks at women's feet while paying expensive nights out, and surprise surprise what women think is fun is usually not too fun for men.

Some men like dancing. I'm not one of them. A disco is a good place to pick up girls or going out with the GF and friends to do her a favor. Then I'm happy to speak with friends, watch slutty girls dancing or in the last resort look at what the TV screens are offering.

Maybe Barabra could give it a shot and open a nightclub in BKK to her taste. After all, it's an equal opportunity business.

disco.......cheesy.gif cheesy.gif .....thats funny,,,,,,,but your spot on

I remember DISCO, way back in the 70s, Gloria Gaynor, Bee Gees, Amanda Lear, etc......

I even forget now I have altzheimer, what was I saying?

• Like 2

I’m a woman.

../..

../..

Different animals, some people in Belgium even say: a woman is a nice piece of furnture but you should not keep it in your house, I just quoted.

To reply more in details to the topic about standards: you have to say something positive about yourself, probably noone else will.

• Like 1

Interesting article and some good points made. I personally find Bangkok nightlife as pretty poor. I am not interested in picking up a girl in a sleazy environment and I am also not interested in getting legless on cheap booze. I know that there are many men who do like this and the nightlife certainly seems to cater for those men. Not sure if your are right about Bangkok nightlife improving by introducing music from the West though,, i too have spent time in Berlin and I understand what you are saying. I am from the UK so I know London and other cities and towns well and I don't think that would work here as it would probably only cater for tourists or ex pats. I would like to see something different the embodies some Thai thinking that isn't just off the shelve, mundane pop music. Thailand has a strong culture and it would be really interesting to see something new and home grown that does give you that experience. As it is though, if you are not interested in the sex industry or drinking yourself silly then Bangkok nightlife is pretty lame for me and certainly no where near a world class city for nightlife.

• Like 2

I'm just wondering if Barbara realizes why many of the Berlin clubs don't have any mirrors.

Nothing worse than looking at yourself in a drug fuelled haze that lasts three days.

Way to go girl.

Narz in soi 23 has a trance/progressive house room, a hip hop/R&B/ house room and also a breakbeat/chill out room, not many farang go there and some of the Thai's in the trance room dance with glow sticks, it actually reminds of The Gallery @ Turnmills about 10 to 15 years ago. Some big name DJ's have been there recently, Paul Oakenfold, Ronski Speed, Lisa lashes, I wish I was in BKK now, it's a definitely somewhere I would be on a Friday or Saturday night.

Soi 23 where?

Nevermind, Google told me. Sukhumvit Soi 23

Edited by IsaanUSA

I don't mind some of the gogos every now and again, but if that isn't your thing than BKK nightlife is pretty grim. I am gay so when i get sick of the gay gogos there are only like a handful of normal gay bars to go to. These are usually full of old men and freelancers. There is nothing wrong with that but if you aren't one of the parties in on the negotiations it can be like watching paint dry. There also to be a tendency of guys coming to BKK for one thing only and they don't want anything to do with other Farang. This can limit enjoyable conversation with people you are not trying to get into bed.

On the other hand I suppose there are a few normal pubs for ex pats to hang out at, I just wouldn't rate hanging out at some Irish pub on par with nightlife in cities elsewhere of similar size.

• Like 1

I don't mind some of the gogos every now and again, but if that isn't your thing than BKK nightlife is pretty grim. I am gay so when i get sick of the gay gogos there are only like a handful of normal gay bars to go to. These are usually full of old men and freelancers. There is nothing wrong with that but if you aren't one of the parties in on the negotiations it can be like watching paint dry. There also to be a tendency of guys coming to BKK for one thing only and they don't want anything to do with other Farang. This can limit enjoyable conversation with people you are not trying to get into bed.

On the other hand I suppose there are a few normal pubs for ex pats to hang out at, I just wouldn't rate hanging out at some Irish pub on par with nightlife in cities elsewhere of similar size.

This is how I feel about Bangkok. I am not gay but your experience is the same for me nonetheless, if you don't want the sleazy stuff or cheap booze there is not much else going on. Other cities across the world offer much more then this which to e means Bangkok is sorely lacking. It has a reputation for one thing really and that is the sex trade, it then attracts people who want to indulge in these things so they cater for it more and more.

Typical spoiled western chick (C*ckblocking 101).

Most men who come to BKK aren't looking for some twinkletoe Berlin disco to light foot around in.

Her male friends tell her they don't enjoy going to Soi Cowboy.Yeah, that's why they're always at Nana.