Charter plane from China to Phuket in emergency landing

webfact

PHUKET: -- An Orient Thai charter aircraft carrying 137 Chinese passengers made a safe emergency landing at Surat Thani International Airport late Wednesday evening after experiencing engine failure, and then suffered a flat tyre, causing it to get stuck on the runway and forcing another arriving plane to fly back to Bangkok.

The pilot of the plane contacted airport authorities for permission to land at about 7pm on a trip from Shenzhen's Huangtian Airport to Phuket.

After landing, the plane taxied to the end of the runway and when it was making a U-turn, the aircraft’s rear left tyre slipped from the edge of the runway onto the surface of an adjacent runway which is under construction, resulting in a flat tyre.

The Orient Thai plane obstructed the runway for about an hour because of the flat tyre, and eventually was towed away to a parking area.

The incident prevented an aircraft operated by Thai Smile low-cost airline from landing at the airport and forced it to return to Suvanaphumi Airport.

Normal operations resumed at Surat Thani International Airport at 9pm.

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2013-08-01

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PHUKET: -- An Orient Thai charter aircraft carrying 137 Chinese passengers made a safe emergency landing at Surat Thani International Airport late Wednesday evening after experiencing engine failure, and then suffered a flat tyre, causing it to get stuck on the runway and forcing another arriving plane to fly back to Bangkok.

The pilot of the plane contacted airport authorities for permission to land at about 7pm on a trip from Shenzhen's Huangtian Airport to Phuket.

After landing, the plane taxied to the end of the runway and when it was making a U-turn, the aircraft’s rear left tyre slipped from the edge of the runway onto the surface of an adjacent runway which is under construction, resulting in a flat tyre.

The Orient Thai plane obstructed the runway for about an hour because of the flat tyre, and eventually was towed away to a parking area.

The incident prevented an aircraft operated by Thai Smile low-cost airline from landing at the airport and forced it to return to Suvanaphumi Airport.

tpn.jpg

tpn.jpg

What pray tell does that video have to do with this story..... Plane making an emergency landing and if they include a video, I would think it would show more than some people standing or sitting around some airport. Like a story about a building collapse and then showing some people drinking coffee at an internet shop,,,, more high quality editing

facepalm.gif

• Like 2

Living around Don muang I see very often the Orient Thai planes on the tarmac , look old and very tired. I always promised myself never fly with this company. I am not suicidal at all.

Last time I landed at DM there was a line of 5 or 6 Orient Thai (DC-9's?) parked on the tarmac with various components (engines, cowlings, flaps etc) missing. They also had a 747, albeit with the logos painted over, in Udon Thani for a while with no engines. It reminded me of being in Africa. When I see an airline being run like that it always screams don't fly with them at me.

Thai Orient = One Two Go Airlines. Same Company, same owner. Their answer to solving the safety issue after the 1,2, go plane crashed in Phuket was to repaint all the same planes in Thai Orient colours and re-name the airline. Prior to this I think they used Thai Orient for the International 747 flights and One, Two Go for the domestic. The plane that crashed in Phuket was the later version of the DC-9 (MD-80 I think), it was 21 or 22 years old and been through a number of owners before One Two Go. They also have an old 747 parked at Phitsanulok airport with no engines. A handy source of spares without going through all that stupid parts certification process. They have one 747-200B aircraft that must be +30 years old.

• Like 2

I flew Thai Orient once. I had the words "Metal Fatigue" ringing in my head for the whole trip. Never again, I would rather walk.

"Metal fatigue" are the words that come to my mind indeed. Many of their planes are 25+ years old. I never flew Orient Thai.

On the other hand, I feel totally safe with Thai Airways, Nokair, Bangkok Airways. These are good, reliable airlines.

Edited by peterbkk9
  • Like 1

I flew them once from CM to BKK, the pilot was a foreigner who thought he was a fighter pilot. Worst 50 minutes of flying I've ever had.

Had a simialr experience with Air Asia, that and the duct tape holding engine cowl fasteners in place and also the bubbles of corrosion that the tape was attempting to hide as well. Must find the photo I took when were parked.

I've flew many times on Orient Thai and I've not experience bad things. I hope it never happen to me, now is time to reconsider.

Can say the same,

but have 20 kg free luggage, free online seat selection and a nice snack-meal on board,

all better than the other Budget Airlines and cheaper than Thai or Bangkok Air. A bit adventure for free to! Worth for me, sometimes. wink.png

The fleet is not young, yes, tongue.png

http://www.planespotters.net/Airline/Orient-Thai-Airlines 20 + years

But they should get some new ones, from Russia, 2013 - 2014

Sukhoi Superjet 100-95 0 12 To Replace MD-81/82

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orient_Thai_Airlines

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sukhoi_Superjet_100 Has at least Western style engines and some other Western parts

I flew them once from CM to BKK, the pilot was a foreigner who thought he was a fighter pilot. Worst 50 minutes of flying I've ever had.

Had a simialr experience with Air Asia, that and the duct tape holding engine cowl fasteners in place and also the bubbles of corrosion that the tape was attempting to hide as well. Must find the photo I took when were parked.

Please do. Until then i find it hard to believe. whistling.gif

I agree..hard to believe indeed...their average fleet age is less than 5 YO and they are probably the most successful airline by far in this part of the world..

• Like 1

Thai Orient = One Two Go Airlines. Same Company, same owner. Their answer to solving the safety issue after the 1,2, go plane crashed in Phuket was to repaint all the same planes in Thai Orient colours and re-name the airline. Prior to this I think they used Thai Orient for the International 747 flights and One, Two Go for the domestic. The plane that crashed in Phuket was the later version of the DC-9 (MD-80 I think), it was 21 or 22 years old and been through a number of owners before One Two Go. They also have an old 747 parked at Phitsanulok airport with no engines. A handy source of spares without going through all that stupid parts certification process. They have one 747-200B aircraft that must be +30 years old.

I love how Thaivisa has turned into a flame fest between people who have no idea what they are talking about.

To clarify:

1. The 747-200 is NOT ORIENT THAI's. It was a leased plane returned to the owner in 2008 and they never took delivery of it. It was abandoned by the owner, not the airline. FWIW, that particular airplane is the highest time 747 in existence and was, at the end of the lease, in the best condition of any -200. No one in Thailand has any authority over this aircraft, so it sits.

2. The MD-82/83/84s were retired years ago and have been slowly either cut up or disposed of. All are slated for disposal.

3. The 747 in Phitsanulok was retired years ago and is only there because DMK charges ridiculous amounts for ramp parking. If I remember correctly it was sent there to be a restaurant, was stripped and scheduled for dismantling and the deal fell apart. (Note that the L-1011s at DMK are still there because their value is less than the amount owed to AOT and they continue to demand full payment. Many of the OX aircraft are in the same situation, Blame AOT)

4. OX has been converting their fleet to late model 737s and 747-400s (the latest model)

Get your facts straight instead of make disparaging remarks off the cuff. Nuf said.

Oh, and I don't work for OX, never have. But I have done business with the owner.

So you have a vested interest in your comments. Can't let peoples safety get in the way of $$$ can we. It is still an undeniable fact that Thai Orient and One. Two Go were under the same ownership and that after the fatal Phuket crash all the planes were changed to Thai Orient livery. That is not a very ethical thing to do to the public. What major airlines suddenly decide to change their name after a fatal crash so they don't loose business?

• Like 1

Please do. Until then i find it hard to believe. whistling.gif

http://www.planespotters.net/Airline/AirAsia 7 years Maximum age, thumbsup.gif 3 - 5 years mostly, some tape can be a short time solution,

My 20+ Year old Motorbike here in TH, Honda CBR 400 RR Fireblade is spattered with tape,

Its solid that tape ! tongue.png

Edited by ALFREDO
  • Like 1

So you have a vested interest in your comments. Can't let peoples safety get in the way of $$$ can we. It is still an undeniable fact that Thai Orient and One. Two Go were under the same ownership and that after the fatal Phuket crash all the planes were changed to Thai Orient livery. That is not a very ethical thing to do to the public. What major airlines suddenly decide to change their name after a fatal crash so they don't loose business?

I still see the One 2 Go livery planes flying out of Phuket today. I don't believe they did change after the Phuket crash. As far as I know the Thai Orient livery were used on the international routes ?

They also have an old 747 parked at Phitsanulok airport with no engines. A handy source of spares without going through all that stupid parts certification process.

It is still an undeniable fact that Thai Orient and One. Two Go were under the same ownership and that after the fatal Phuket crash all the planes were changed to Thai Orient livery. That is not a very ethical thing to do to the public. What major airlines suddenly decide to change their name after a fatal crash so they don't loose business?

There is also one Orient Thai 747 parked at Udon Thani Airport without engines,

Since some time, they changed the parking place, out of sight of the General public, but visible when starting-flying with a plane from the air!

=What major airlines suddenly decide to change their name after a fatal crash so they don't loose business?= A CLEVER ONE, tongue.png

According to Wikipedia as of February 2013 Orient Thais fleet had an average age of 23.8 years and they still had 2 MD-80's flying at that time although due for replacement with Sukhoi Superjet 100-95 aircraft (can't wait)

23.8 years average age does not exactly indicate a state of the art airline budget or full service.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orient_Thai_Airlines

I still see the One 2 Go livery planes flying out of Phuket today. I don't believe they did change after the Phuket crash. As far as I know the Thai Orient livery were used on the international routes ?

According to Wiki, the One Two Go name was "retired" in 2010 and all planes are now flown under the Thai Orient name. maybe these are planes that have not yet been re-painted.

They also had a 747, albeit with the logos painted over, in Udon Thani for a while with no engines. It reminded me of being in Africa.

Still there in Udon Thani Airport, only out of sight of General Public, visible when starting with a plane from the air, a bit away from tarmac and runway. wink.png