Charter plane from China to Phuket in emergency landing

webfact

I flew them once from CM to BKK, the pilot was a foreigner who thought he was a fighter pilot. Worst 50 minutes of flying I've ever had.

Had a simialr experience with Air Asia, that and the duct tape holding engine cowl fasteners in place and also the bubbles of corrosion that the tape was attempting to hide as well. Must find the photo I took when were parked.

Please do. Until then i find it hard to believe. whistling.gif

Make sure you eat some crow with that smiley. One thing I am not known for is bullshitting to people.

I'm an aircraft maintenance guy, so I notice things more than some. So I was kind of surprised when I looked out the window and saw this. Notice the tastefully applied Gaffa tape to the port engine nacelle I would say had been on for about a month. You can see where it has worn off and the lump of what looks like corrosion is peaking through. Shitty photo but it was taken with an old smart phone.

post-6366-0-84151000-1375335056_thumb.jp

Edited by Garry
  • Like 2

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to Wikipedia as of February 2013 Orient Thais fleet had an average age of 23.8 years and they still had 2 MD-80's flying at that time although due for replacement with Sukhoi Superjet 100-95 aircraft (can't wait)

23.8 years average age does not exactly indicate a state of the art airline budget or full service.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orient_Thai_Airlines

Yes, let us try them, smile.png

http://en.wikipedia....oi_Superjet_100 Has at least Western style engines and some other Western parts

According to Wiki, the One Two Go name was "retired" in 2010 and all planes are now flown under the Thai Orient name. maybe these are planes that have not yet been re-painted.

But the parent compnay was always called Thai Orinet. I'll need to pay closer to the livery paint job next time I am at Phukey airport.

"One Two Go Airlines Co. Lte was a low-cost airline based in Don Mueang, Bangkok, Thailand. Following the crash of OG 269 in Phuket, Thailand on September 16, 2007, One-Two-GO was banned from flying in European Union nations due to safety concerns. Its main base was Don Mueang International Airport, Bangkok. Always owned and managed by Orient Thai Airlines and owned by CEO Udom Tantiprasongchai and his wife Nina Tantriprasongchai, the One-Two-GO brand was retired in July 2010, and the aircraft re-branded as Orient Thai Airlines."

So you have a vested interest in your comments. Can't let peoples safety get in the way of $$$ can we. It is still an undeniable fact that Thai Orient and One. Two Go were under the same ownership and that after the fatal Phuket crash all the planes were changed to Thai Orient livery. That is not a very ethical thing to do to the public. What major airlines suddenly decide to change their name after a fatal crash so they don't loose business?

I still see the One 2 Go livery planes flying out of Phuket today. I don't believe they did change after the Phuket crash. As far as I know the Thai Orient livery were used on the international routes ?

According to Wiki, the One Two Go name was "retired" in 2010 and all planes are now flown under the Thai Orient name. maybe these are planes that have not yet been re-painted.

So that's where you get your information from. Could be the explanation why your response to somebody who seems to have good knowledge was ludicrous and not addressing all the 'facts' he stated in your earlier post that were wrong.

At least the fool pilot did not stall and crash the plane in the middle of the runway like they did in Phuket. I don't understand why they allow this dangerous company to continue to operate. If they gave me a free ticket I would not fly with them.

At least the fool pilot did not stall and crash the plane in the middle of the runway like they did in Phuket. I don't understand why they allow this dangerous company to continue to operate. If they gave me a free ticket I would not fly with them.

I have actually flown One 2 Go a few times since the crash. Must admit I was a bit nervous the first time after, but the flights have all been good.

rolleyes.gif

I flew them once from CM to BKK, the pilot was a foreigner who thought he was a fighter pilot. Worst 50 minutes of flying I've ever had.

Had a simialr experience with Air Asia, that and the duct tape holding engine cowl fasteners in place and also the bubbles of corrosion that the tape was attempting to hide as well. Must find the photo I took when were parked.

Please do. Until then i find it hard to believe. whistling.gif

Make sure you eat some crow with that smiley. One thing I am not known for is bullshitting to people.

I'm an aircraft maintenance guy, so I notice things more than some. So I was kind of surprised when I looked out the window and saw this. Notice the tastefully applied Gaffa tape to the port engine nacelle I would say had been on for about a month. You can see where it has worn off and the lump of what looks like corrosion is peaking through. Shitty photo but it was taken with an old smart phone.

attachicon.gifAir Asia - Gaffa Tape Airlines.jpg

As a (I'm assuming) LAME, you'd know that tape of this kind is referred to as "speed tape"

As for your photo, apologies but the quality of the photo doesn't really throw up any indication of said tape usage...

As a (I'm assuming) LAME, you'd know that tape of this kind is referred to as "speed tape"

As for your photo, apologies but the quality of the photo doesn't really throw up any indication of said tape usage...

Hi Grant, military maintainer if you need to know and what I could see with the naked eye is more than the photo could produce at the time. Open the photo and have another look. It follows about 2 feet along the engine mount cover fairing. As for your speed tape comment. It can be culturally and by different trades called a bunch of different names: gaffa tape, speed tape, air frame tape, duct tape, You can also have the alloy version as opposed the cloth type in the photo.

Hi Grant, military maintainer if you need to know and what I could see with the naked eye is more than the photo could produce at the time. Open the photo and have another look. It follows about 2 feet along the engine mount cover fairing. As for your speed tape comment. It can be culturally and by different trades called a bunch of different names: gaffa tape, speed tape, air frame tape, duct tape, You can also have the alloy version as opposed the cloth type in the photo.

Sorry Garry, the tighter you zoom on the photo the further you pixelate it...

As for tape... Gaffa is different to speed tape...

But as an military aircraft maintainer you would know this...

^^^^ A similar story a couple of years ago ...explains what you are talking about...

YOU MAY have heard that Ryanair, the Irish low-cost airline, recently used "duct tape" to repair an aeroplane windshield. It's a great story, combining fear of flying, anxiety about low-cost products, and the legend of duct tape being able to repair just about anything. British and American tabloids certainly made the most of the story. But it's not true, says Patrick Smith, the author of Salon's "Ask the Pilot" column [emphasis added]:

Say what you want about Ryanair overall — this is a carrier known to push the boundaries of "low-cost carrier" into ever more controversial directions — but this is another one of those things that looks a lot worse than it is.

For starters, there was no duct tape. The mechanics had applied a heavy-duty aluminum bonding tape known as "speed tape." Embarrassing as it might appear,
superficial or noncritical components are routinely patched with this material. It's a temporary fix, until more substantive repairs are made later on.
The tape is extremely durable and is able to expand and contract through a wide range of temperatures.

Edited by andreandre

What are the Thai authorities going to do about it? The last thing they need is aircraft falling out of the skies.

not as long as they have friends in hight places - things should have been done after the One-Two-Go crash in Phuket - all that happened was a few months "restructuring" and a name change

Yesterday Egypt Air from KL to BKK.........people on board talking in their cell.phones, seat backs in all possible positions (guy in front of me had it reclined to the max.), tray tables out. Crew, didn't check around nor corrected essential safety requirements with the passengers. Children not buckled up. During some turbulence dad's leaving their children walking around. Even at the start cell.phones still in use. At the landing people walking during taxiing. I had once an emergency stop while taxiing in Spain. You will never forget to keep sitting.

The daily routine with a lot of airlines (+ lacking Government Control) is getting too loose and a major crash will happen here soon. No doubt.

Sorry Garry, the tighter you zoom on the photo the further you pixelate it...

As for tape... Gaffa is different to speed tape...

But as an military aircraft maintainer you would know this...

What do you want, a copy of my resume? Stop getting a hard-on for the tape naming convention. I would love to have shopwn a clearer photo. You've already made you mind up that I'm am lying. I'm sick of your condescending, patronising attitude. It is what it is. And I ever wonder why I post in this or any other forum on TV.!

What do you want, a copy of my resume? Stop getting a hard-on for the tape naming convention. I would love to have shopwn a clearer photo. You've already made you mind up that I'm am lying. I'm sick of your condescending, patronising attitude. It is what it is. And I ever wonder why I post in this or any other forum on TV.!

No Garry no... No Garry no.. Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo Garry!

Just so you know, THAT was me being condescending and patronising...

Seriously chief, you stuck your neck out by claiming you maintain (maintained) military aircraft. You also laid claim that there's no difference between gaffa tape, duct tape or speed tape and that it's simply a case of a rose by any other name. There's a technical difference in the construction of said tapes and as I said, as a maintainer of military aircraft you would know this.

No need to chuck your toys out of the cot over it. I'd have thought that someone who's in your line of work would have been the first to jump at correcting this minor technicality i.e speed tape vs duct tape vs gaffer tape.

Or was it simply a case of you making it easier for the TV laymen to understand?

As most pilots in this country fly international flights, aren't they all foreigners for at least a part of the day? I guess my real question though, is what does being a foreigner have to do with unsafe flying?

Flew on an Air Asia domestic flight about four years ago (perhaps a little less) and was quite horrified looking out of the window at the top of the engine cowling which was missing many rivets, and a few of the remaining ones in place were rotating from the vibration of the engines.

Kept hoping that the whole thing wouldn't tear away midflight and cause other damage, and luckily it didn't. It was a 737 by the way, and not in very good condition I may add, and in addition there were quite a few patches over the main entrance door, however these still had all of their rivets in place!!

Seriously chief, you stuck your neck out by claiming you maintain (maintained) military aircraft. You also laid claim that there's no difference between gaffa tape, duct tape or speed tape and that it's simply a case of a rose by any other name. There's a technical difference in the construction of said tapes and as I said, as a maintainer of military aircraft you would know this.

No need to chuck your toys out of the cot over it. I'd have thought that someone who's in your line of work would have been the first to jump at correcting this minor technicality i.e speed tape vs duct tape vs gaffer tape.

Or was it simply a case of you making it easier for the TV laymen to understand?

Grant, I was just trying to be simple. Normally I don't get agro, generally I am far from it. Here is a screesnhot of the message I sent from my phone to a buddy of mine back in 20 Mar 2009 when I took the photo. I have deleted the personal info for privacy, but you get the idea.

post-6366-0-94041700-1375444536_thumb.jp

Grant, I was just trying to be simple. Normally I don't get agro, generally I am far from it. Here is a screesnhot of the message I sent from my phone to a buddy of mine back in 20 Mar 2009 when I took the photo. I have deleted the personal info for privacy, but you get the idea.

Obviously this is not dangerous, or I'm sure you as the expert would not have flown on that flight.